Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-28-2008, 08:40 PM   #1
aru
Likes to read on e-ink
aru is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
Unhappy Optimum Image Size and format for PRS-505

Does anybody know which image size X x Y pixels would be best for the reader? I tried several different sizes to see which would load fastest and which would look best on the reader. So far I did not find the optimum. I thought that the result should be best at the native screen resolution, but I could not even find that, given that there is the status bar to reckon with.
Also, which format is best JPEG,GIF,BMP,PNG ?
aru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:08 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Here's a BKM on formatting, aru. The sizes given are in inches and mm, but you can adjust easily enough.

I'm not sure the Reader actually supports BMP or GIF, but I think either of the others will work equally well -- I've never seen any suggestion otherwise, anyway.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2008, 05:38 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Yes, Reader definitely supports GIF and BMP (and PNG). It's even mentioned in the feature list...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:12 AM   #4
aru
Likes to read on e-ink

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Here's a BKM on formatting, aru. The sizes given are in inches and mm, but you can adjust easily enough.

I'm not sure the Reader actually supports BMP or GIF, but I think either of the others will work equally well -- I've never seen any suggestion otherwise, anyway.
Thank you very much, I did not know about this link, this was very helpful

I tried all file formats mentioned and I could not see a difference in the resulting pictures. Knowing that anything larger than 800x567 pixels is just eating up resources helps tremendously.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:35 PM   #5
shousa
Groupie
shousa doesn't littershousa doesn't littershousa doesn't litter

Is there some way of batch converting all the images in a directory to this best size?

i have hundreds, all too big.
shousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2008, 11:54 PM   #6
coredog64
coredog64 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shousa View Post
Is there some way of batch converting all the images in a directory to this best size?

If you just want to change image sizes, ImageMagick works pretty well.

If you're running windows and want to change all the files in the current directory, a simple:

Code:
for %x in (*.jpg) do convert %x -resize 100x100 "rsz_%x"
does the trick. There's more that can be done (i.e. recursively processing the files, changing the file type from .jpg to .png during the resize, etc.) but that's beyond the scope of a simple tip
coredog64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:20 AM   #7
aru
Likes to read on e-ink

Quote:
Originally Posted by shousa View Post

I like PhotoElf (http://www.photoelf.com/). It is a very small, fast program that offers a lot of options. You can download a free trial version, which works for 30 days. Which should be enough for your project. If you still like it you can purchase it later.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:47 AM   #8
shousa
Groupie
shousa doesn't littershousa doesn't littershousa doesn't litter

Check this out, i just tested it - Photo resizer - sweet!!

http://www.rw-designer.com/photo-resizer-advanced
shousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:08 PM   #9
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Google's Picasa has a "resize on export" capability, so if you're using that already, it's trivial!. (You can set the length of the longer side & it sets the smaller side so as to keep the correct aspect ratio.)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:22 PM   #10
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
Actual pixel count for displayed images

I'm trying to work out the actual image display area now. The 800x600 screen has border for the battery capacity and so on, so images should be smaller. Wikipedia says 754x584 pixels, no idea where that comes from but an image that big definitely displays at full size. It looks as though there's a few more pixels available but I'm having to create sized images in steps to find that out. After much playing I'm going to settle for 760x590 as my preferred image size.

For those that are interested I've attached a couple of photos of the display. One is the "1 of 4" area that you get when displaying images, and the second is part of the battery charge level indicator (more magnified than the first). I was looking at these to try to figure out where the edge of the image display area is, but if you look at those it's obviously not that easy to see where exactly the edges of the displayed pixels are. The "5" is part of the test image, it's black border, white fill on a light grey background. The other two you can all look at on your devices.

The "1 of 4" text is about 12mm long, the battery outline is about 2mm across the edges of the white lines and top edge of the 5 is about 2.4mm long.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 of 4.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	11305   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery-scale.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	11306   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	497