Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-19-2017, 11:52 PM   #2656
rob00
rob00 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Hi. The thing about jailbreaks are they are not meant for newbies. I admire all your questions before asking.
To me: they are perfectly simple.
Read all the steps including spoilers. Now do exactly what the instructions say in order. Make sure you have everything you need before starting.
Read all of step and then do step 1.
Read all of step 2 and then do step 2.
Repeat until all steps are done.
Then you may do the optional steps that follow.
There now you are good to go.
Alternatively: if you do not understand the steps, enjoy your stock kindle.

I hope this helps.
Thanks. I love learning new things. Everything worked out, so now I have a jailbroken Kindle Touch with FW 5.3.7.3. Definitely better than the stock!
rob00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:44 AM   #2657
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
rob00, glad you got it figured out. Wasn't too hard, was it? I remember years ago, it was much harder to jailbreak the Kindle Touch. Just this week, I was going to trade mine in, so I factory reset it, which removed all the good stuff. Changed my mind and checked the directions in the first post. I was quickly able to re-JB, reinstall my screen savers, and add my preferred font, with no sweat at all! It was so easy this time around.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2017, 07:27 AM   #2658
RST
RST began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW (B024)
Hello guys I am a bit confused. I have a Paperwhite (B024) the firmware that I have is 5.3.3 I already successfully made a jailbrake but I want to make a firmware upgrade. As I can see here https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201064850 the latest version for 5th generation is 5.6.1.1 may I apply this update? and if it is not possible which is the latest firmware that I can apply without any problems and where I can download it. Thank you very much for any help.
RST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:44 AM   #2659
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
If you used this jail break, then the update to 5.6.1.1 will 'just work'.
If it has been too long to be certain, install:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...68&postcount=4
It does no harm to install it, even if it is already installed (as it should be).

This jail break is "viral" it will self-reinstall when the Kindle re-boots after the update.

REALLY BIG NOTE:
I mean that quite literally, the jail break, and nothing else is 'bridged' across Amazon updates. You (not just you, anyone) have to re-install everything else.
Your first choice for current packages is always:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

Last edited by knc1; 10-22-2017 at 08:49 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:39 PM   #2660
ajaxor
ajaxor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch with Bluetooth G000 K9
I was able to successfully jailbreak my Kindle Touch Basic with Bluetooth, it was previously running 5.8.10 and post installing the firmware reverted to 5.8.0
I was able to install KUAL and kterm and skipstone, thank you all for helping, love you guys.https://imgur.com/gallery/RoBIp
ajaxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2017, 02:26 AM   #2661
RST
RST began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW (B024)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If you used this jail break, then the update to 5.6.1.1 will 'just work'.
If it has been too long to be certain, install:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...68&postcount=4
It does no harm to install it, even if it is already installed (as it should be).

This jail break is "viral" it will self-reinstall when the Kindle re-boots after the update.

REALLY BIG NOTE:
I mean that quite literally, the jail break, and nothing else is 'bridged' across Amazon updates. You (not just you, anyone) have to re-install everything else.
Your first choice for current packages is always:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030
Thank you very much. I just upgraded my PW to 5.6.6.1 which is the last available version for 5th generation. Also I installed KUAL so for now I can install all extensions.
Thank you very much for your fantastic job!
RST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:02 AM   #2662
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxor View Post
I was able to successfully jailbreak my Kindle Touch Basic with Bluetooth, it was previously running 5.8.10 and post installing the firmware reverted to 5.8.0
I was able to install KUAL and kterm and skipstone, thank you all for helping, love you guys.https://imgur.com/gallery/RoBIp
The KT3 is a well known exception.

It will not be documented as an exception until we have the newest BT capable Kindle in our hands.
I.E: No sense in writing up two nearly identical procedures, when there are less than 10 days to wait.

Plus: Anyone that has been following this subject here (including, unfortunately, Amazon/Lab126) already knows how to do it.

It is very likely much too late in the distribution process to do anything about the (millions?) of KOA2 devices headed for consumer hands, but the principle remains: until distribution reaches the consumer, something might be done to block our access.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:37 AM   #2663
makara
Connoisseur
makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: KA1, KLH2O, Oasis 3
I have KPW2, firmware 5.8.7, JB. I want to update the firmware to the latest with saving JB. I downloaded and unpacked the hotfix from the forum header "Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install.bin". Kindle does not recognize the update and deletes it. I thought the folder "update.bin.tmp.partial" was to blame, deleted, did not help.
makara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:58 AM   #2664
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by makara View Post
I have KPW2, firmware 5.8.7, JB. I want to update the firmware to the latest with saving JB. I downloaded and unpacked the hotfix from the forum header "Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install.bin". Kindle does not recognize the update and deletes it. I thought the folder "update.bin.tmp.partial" was to blame, deleted, did not help.
apply this hotfix
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...68#post3562968
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:28 PM   #2665
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by makara View Post
So put it back already, that is not the problem (it only interferes with the OTA download process).

Did you use MrPI to install the hotfix package?
If not, try that.

# 15 1 15
Old 11-03-2017, 02:17 PM   #2666
X91w
X91w began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Is there a jailbreak for A PW1 with 5.6.1.1 ?
X91w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:53 PM   #2667
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
You can downgrade it to firmware 5.4.4.2 , jailbreak that older firmware and then update back to 5.6.1.1.

To downgrade see this instructions: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=12

p.s. PW1 is the only Kindle device on firmware 5.6.x you can downgrade via that "don't unplug USB" trick.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:10 PM   #2668
X91w
X91w began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
You can downgrade it to firmware 5.4.4.2 , jailbreak that older firmware and then update back to 5.6.1.1.

To downgrade see this instructions: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=12

p.s. PW1 is the only Kindle device on firmware 5.6.x you can downgrade via that "don't unplug USB" trick.
The links for firmware only show PW2 and above. Do I use PW2 firmware?
X91w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:39 PM   #2669
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
You don't use firmware links from that thread. You'll need to download firmware for your device. Those files are "model locked" (= you can't use/install PW2 files on PW1). The only thing you need is info contained in that single post (that was the reason I linked to single post and not entire thread or its firs post).

The info is what should your do:

1) connect Kindle to your PC
2) copy correct bin file for YOUR Kindle
3) DON"T disconnect your Kindle
4) force Kindle restart by holding the power button for X second (amount of time needed to trigger a restart instead of "sleep mode"

You need to find and download firmware update to 5.4.4.2. You should probably first try to search MobileRead for thread containing list of firmware update files grouped by models.

This link is from Amazon's servers and should be the one you need: https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmwar...le_5.4.4.2.bin

BUT double check that if you can... because I no longer have previously downloaded bin file (I have but no longer use my old PW1, which also was never updated to that firmware, its on firmware 5.4.4 (without .2) so can't compare MD5 checksum to be 200% certain that link above is the correct one.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:58 PM   #2670
knc1
Going Viral

go to this page:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201064850

Scroll down, copy the link to the current update, which gives you:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmwar...le_5.6.1.1.bin

Now change the version number in that URL, which gives you:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmwar...le_5.4.4.2.bin

Click the link you just created.

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch