Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-21-2021, 05:36 AM   #556
pso33
pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pso33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad X
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I have to disagree.

To me, it is how an image in dark mode should look; dark, without too much white.
I think human faces should not be inverted.
However, math graphs / functions can be freely inverted.
Maybe extra setting, or autodetect by histogram?
pso33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:11 AM   #557
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pso33 View Post
I think human faces should not be inverted.
However, math graphs / functions can be freely inverted.
Maybe extra setting, or autodetect by histogram?
I would hope that the images in dark mode wouldn't be displayed as-is: it would be jarring to be reading text on one page, and then have an image that has a lot of white on the next page.*

I am thinking of this from the perspective of reading fiction in a very dark setting.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2021, 04:02 PM   #558
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
It's June 21st and these are supposed to be available on the 24th. Have any of you who pre-ordered gotten shipping info? I'm curious how long before we start getting "real people's" take on the device...
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 05:00 PM   #559
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightyume View Post
It's June 21st and these are supposed to be available on the 24th. Have any of you who pre-ordered gotten shipping info? I'm curious how long before we start getting "real people's" take on the device...
Look closer at the threads.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=340099
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:09 AM   #560
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
If you're interested (and got the free time) you can watch My Deep Guide's 3-part magnum opus of the device. It, probably, makes more sense to skip to the chapter(s) you're more interested in:

Last edited by Colonel Cathcart; 06-23-2021 at 05:12 AM.
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2021, 05:29 AM   #561
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
I watched the chapters that were relevant to me and I have opinions on it:
  • The advanced notebook is probably the best note taking app I have ever seen
  • I'd appreciate if they enable custom templates for the notebooks
  • Annotations for books are stored on the device and not the cloud, can break easily with sideloaded books
  • I find their solution for changing font size and keeping annotations intact perfect
  • Almost 100ms lag is too much (hopefully fixed in a future update)
  • Dropbox options are great
  • PDF rendering / interpretations of strokes is bad in comparison to boox

Unfortunately, the lack of an option to upload owned epubs to their cloud is still an inconvenience if you want to switch from a different vendor. Yes you can sideload everything from dropbox but not all their devices support dropbox.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:38 AM   #562
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
First Impressions only using epub:

The Screen is beautiful, seems to be cripser and better contrast then the Forma and I would say even slightly better then the Aura One.

I can't see any problems caused by the lower dpi, no noticeable pixelation or combeffects. ymmv

The light on my model is even, no shadows, no halos, no lightbleed, no colored blotches.

There is a slight colorgradient from the wide frame sites "perfect white" to a "smidge of beige/yellow" on the other site. This only noticeable for me on high light level and if you are really, really looking for something wrong.

Data Transfer and Filemanagment is much faster, as expected:
~1.300 files (1.4GB)
Transfer: 190 secs
Database Import: ~215 secs

Collection lists show covers faster, paging through lists is roughly the same speed.

Opening epubs is ~20% faster. Cover images in the epubs have sometimes a delay before they show up on my Forma, but show instantly on the Elipsa.

Page turn speed is comparable to a Forma. It feels slightly faster, but this might be my imagination because of the new shiny...
At least there are no performance problems driving the bigger screen.

This large screen without header/footer patch is just sad.

Didn't do much with the pen so far, scribbling notes in epubs works fine, and it is reasonably responsive. A slight delay that you might notice, but not bad enough that it is annoying.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:16 PM   #563
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewphoenix123 View Post
This large screen without header/footer patch is just sad.
It is this patch that should work, try it if you wish.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:28 PM   #564
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
It is this patch that should work, try it if you wish.
Thank ou for the tip, should have thought about it myself.
Pretty much all my default patches that only change styles work fine.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:48 PM   #565
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Home screen-01.png
Views:	1051
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	187855

I don't like this horizontal line in the new firmware. Think it's best to remove it or change the color ...
Old 06-24-2021, 02:50 PM   #566
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Attachment 187855

I don't like this horizontal line in the new firmware. Think it's best to remove it or change the color ...
My Clara has that, on the older firmware.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 04:15 PM   #567
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Attachment 187855

It is very similar to the one on my Libra, only darker. I would prefer to keep it, but perhaps gray (not too light) instead?
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:08 PM   #568
Semwize
Guru

There is a patch for remove line, I just thought about the possibility of changing the color
Old 06-25-2021, 02:24 AM   #569
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Now the Elispa is out, I'm looking at the gap between the FCC notification and the device relase, and thinking it unlikely there's be another Kobo this year - no reFormation, it seems
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:03 AM   #570
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark
mrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to behold

Device: Asus Transformer Prime, Sony PRS-T1, HTC Sensation
Has anyone in the UK got their Elipsa yet?
and did you have to pay import fees?
Mine has shipped with TNT, but is delayed due to customs!
mrspaceman is offline   Reply With Quote