Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-22-2020, 01:47 PM   #1
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Apple WWDC 2020

The WWDC 2020 is currently streaming the Keynote address. I like really the format this year sans audience of clappers and oooooers and ahers. That was ridiculous and made it seem like a cult meeting. Much better without that distraction!

So far iOS 14 looks to have some really cool features and upgrades. I sure hope it doesn’t come with a million bugs like iOS 13 did.

I’ve been laying low during the pandemic and I’m still sheltering at home with minimal contact with other people. I hope all of you are staying safe and well too.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:09 PM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
No clappers? YAY! Must have a look.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2020, 02:42 PM   #3
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think it is funny how that 1984 Apple Macintosh TV commercial that took a “Big Brother” swipe at IBM by showing a bunch of mindless followers in a large conference room looking like a bunch of morons became what the average Apple keynote address and event would look like for the next 35 years! Apple became what they accused IBM of being...

Today’s event doesn’t have the packed conference room, but they did go way over the top on having some of the presenters try to look too hip. Rather comical at times, although they didn’t mean for it to seem comical.

Last edited by OtinG; 06-22-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:29 PM   #4
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Digital Car Keys in iOS 14 underwhelming

I was underwhelmed by the new iOS 14 Digital Car Keys feature. You have to take the iPhone out of your pocket, touch it to the door handle, get in the car, place the iPhone in a special cradle then start the car. Really? My 2012 Toyota Prius C had a very small remote that fit in my pocket and never had to be taken out of my pocket. Once the device was within proximity (a few feet from the car) it activated the locks so that all I had to do was walk up to the car, open it, get in, press the start button. That simple. No taking the remote out of my pocket. When I got out and walked out of proximity the car automatically lock. That was 2012 technology and no doubt a few years old even then. Apple’s version is less impressive and it is 8 years newer! Meh....

Most of the other new features I saw were pretty cool though.

Last edited by OtinG; 06-22-2020 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:30 PM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I was underwhelmed by the new iOS 14 Digital Car Keys feature. You have to take the iPhone out of your pocket, touch it to the door handle, get in the car, place the iPhone in a special cradle then start the car. Really? My 2012 Toyota Prius C had a very small remote that fit in my pocket and never had to be taken out of my pocket. Once the device was within proximity (a few feet from the car) it activated the locks so that all I had to do was walk up to the car, open it, get in, press the start button. That simple. No taking the remote out of my pocket. When I got out and walked out of proximity the car automatically lock. That was 2012 technology and no doubt a few years old even then. Apple’s version is less impressive and it is 8 years newer! Meh....

The problem with the kind of remote you describe is that it was possible to fool the car into thinking the key was nearby, even when it was still inside the house...

pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2020, 05:28 PM   #6
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The problem with the kind of remote you describe is that it was possible to fool the car into thinking the key was nearby, even when it was still inside the house...
I would say possible, but not very likely. The remote (or its signal) would have to be within 5 or 6 feet of the car. It would be easy to prevent this kind of hijacking by placing the key inside a metal box (essentially a Faraday cage) which would prevent the signal from going outside the box. Or you could store the key away from an exterior wall. The thieves were basically using a portable repeater to receive and retransmit the signal. Not many thieves would have this knowledge or capability. As far as that goes, any locking mechanism is vulnerable. My dad always said that locks were for honest people because a thief will find a way to circumvent it.

Regardless, the tech used by Toyota, and other car manufacturers, a decade ago was more advanced than what Apple is using, and certainly more convenient to use.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:36 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post

That is the first implementation. They also said it would work from a pocket or purse later — but next year, when an industry standard has been adopted and where the U1 chip could enable proximity detection.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:39 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I see the iOS 14 new features page again mentions ability to get fonts from App Store and use them in apps. This was in iOS 13 I guess but I was hoping some reading apps (if only Apple Books) would take advantage of that.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:18 PM   #9
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
MacOS Big Sur looks interesting. Sadly I don’t have hardware which will run it, and unless I win the lottery am unlikely to update.

@tomsem Re Books and fonts... yes, a constant frustration for me too.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:17 AM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
My basic take is that I want Apple to take some time to fix the usability holes currently out there. For example, on the Mac, when they split iTunes into Music, Apple TV and Books, some of those apps do not allow you to change the default location. Photos has the same issue. That's a problem if you have disk space problems on your internal drive.

When apple moved the iOS sync function to finder, they only provide a bare bones sync with regards to audiobooks. You can't sync by collection or sort the audiobooks.

There are a lot of usability issues with that last move that need to be fixed before they focus on cool new features.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:51 AM   #11
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

I agree. Too many iOS 13 and iPadOS 13 bugs still hanging around. I would have been happy to see them get that corrected rather than introduce iOS 14 and iPadOS 14. iOS 13 has been much better than iPadOS 13 though.

I’m concerned about the switch to Apple in house chips though. It is still difficult to get software companies to write Mac versions. This new direction in chips certainly won’t help that situation. Apple says it will be smooth as glass to port over to the new chips, but they said 13 was terrific and they got that wrong by a mile!

I had heard rumors of some new hardware that was supposedly going to be announced at WWDC 2020, but I don’t think any was. I only halfway listened to the keynote though. I really don’t keep up with what the WWDC typically does. It takes a while to filter through all the new stuff after developers start testing it.

One thing is for sure, I won’t be an early adopter to iPadOS 14 given the terrible experience I had with iPadOS 13. I won’t be installing MacOS 11 on either of my Macs. The Mac Mini is too old, and the MacBook Pro needs to keep 32-bit capability for now.

I’m looking forward to the changes Apple made to the iOS 14 Home screens, including widgets. I just hope they don’t rearrange menu items again, and hopefully they won’t stretch out app options over three locations rather than the already confusing two locations. Apple seems to have abandoned the KISS concept N recent years.

I didn’t hear anything about tvOS 14, but I wasn’t paying close attention either. Hopefully they will make some good improvements there. I watched the keynote via my Apple TV 4K. My Apple TV 4K has been pretty good, but I do have lots of streaming issues with the Philo app. I think that might be Philo's fault though as that occurs with the Fire TV app as well, and no other streaming apps for the Apple TV 4K have the issues. Philo probably just doesn’t know how to properly program their apps.
Old 06-23-2020, 05:26 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

There is a developers kit that includes a Mac Mini with Apple Silicon chip, shipping now. The first consumer AS macs are supposed to ship ‘before the end of the year’. Maybe that will include Mac Mini since there is evidently already some sort of production set up for it. But we’ll have to wait and see (I am in market for a Mac, but now I may just wait for an AS one).

For starters, I assume Boot Camp will not work on AS. But that’s not a use case for me. Virtualized Windows/Linux should be good enough (VMware/Parallels will probably have native products available as soon as Mac AS ships).
Old 06-23-2020, 05:28 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
There is a developers kit that includes a Mac Mini with Apple Silicon chip, shipping now. The first consumer AS macs are supposed to ship ‘before the end of the year’. Maybe that will include Mac Mini since there is evidently already some sort of production set up for it. But we’ll have to wait and see (I am in market for a Mac, but now I may just wait for an AS one).

For starters, I assume Boot Camp will not work on AS. But that’s not a use case for me. Virtualized Windows/Linux should be good enough (VMware/Parallels will probably have native products available as soon as Mac AS ships).
We’ll have to wait until Fall I guess to see about new hardware (AppleTV, HomePod, iPhones etc.).
Old 06-23-2020, 06:57 PM   #14
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

I’m not in the market for any new Apple hardware. I’ve got an iPad mini 5 now, so no need for another iPad, especially since I still have the pro 9.7” too. My iPhone XR is great and I won’t trade up for at least two more years. Both of my Macs are still running fine. Of course it would be nice to have the latest and greatest of every device, but that is never in my budget! I have to make do with what I can afford, which isn’t much...
Old 06-24-2020, 05:59 AM   #15
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I don't really see myself as going for any new hardware either. I have been considering getting a mac mini with lots of ram and a big hard disk to use as a media server, but I also want it to work with sierra since I have some apps that don't work past sierra. Certainly the new hardware won't do that.

At one time, I use to upgrade every two or three years, but these days, I don't really see the point. There just isn't the big speed increase.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote