Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 10-21-2019, 09:03 AM   #16
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
-> chaley
while we wait, can you explain what triggers the 2 green dots to light up on the calibre connect & share icon please. I am guessing you had some involvement in how that was developed?

is the lights' status a useful clue, or a distraction ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:36 AM   #17
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
-> chaley
while we wait, can you explain what triggers the 2 green dots to light up on the calibre connect & share icon please. I am guessing you had some involvement in how that was developed?
Yes, but a long time ago. Seven years I think.
Quote:
is the lights' status a useful clue, or a distraction ?
Distraction. The "lights" follow the content server state. The wireless device state doesn't matter. Neither does the "Connect to folder" state.

This behavior is probably wrong, but fixing it is mildly complicated because of how threading and menu/button actions work.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2019, 11:31 AM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdy View Post
This is what I have tried so far:

I have disabled all my other network connections such as the virtual networks attached to my virtual machines.
I have completely disabled both of the VPNs I use.
I checked my antivirus and my firewall there was an exception for calibre already made.
I have tried manually setting port and IP address in the wireless device connection settings in CC.
I tried wirelessly connecting to Calibre with my firewall and antivirus turned off but that did not work.
I have re-installed Calibre and Calibre Companion.
I have reset my router and re-booted my kindle.
I have also checked my IPV4 it's the same as the Calibre IP address.

I read the CC faqs on wirelessly connecting to Calibre.

Nothing is working and I am not exactly sure what to do next. I read throught the trouble shooting article I have attached the debugging log from Calibre(not Calibre Companion).

While trying to figure this out I noticed another issue. The three dots on the connect and share icon/button are not lighting up when I start the wireless device connection. The dot usually turn green as soon as I turn on the wireless connection function. I have attached a picture.
Your WDC is running. Note the the STOP WDC item (and IP you should use) on the list.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:43 AM   #19
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Your WDC is running. Note the the STOP WDC item (and IP you should use) on the list.
all I can see in the OPs uploaded image is that the IP address begins with 192.
I cannot see the complete IP

a better picture or a posting of the complete IP address could help us offer better advice

I agree that the picture suggests WDC is running, and Chaley's last post re the green lights confirms that having no green lights is not a contradiction

all of which points the finger back at the CC configuration ?
Old 10-22-2019, 07:02 AM   #20
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
all of which points the finger back at the CC configuration ?
No. Nothing I have seen removes from consideration the issues of wireless router guest mode/isolation configuration, failure to pass packets between bands, public/private network configuration, or AV / firewall configuration.

CC should be left in the default configuration. If that doesn't work, that is if CC can't find calibre using the two methods CC and calibre support, then the question becomes "why". Calibre broadcasts mDNS information (bonjour, etc) for both the content server and the wireless device. What is blocking CC from receiving it? CC broadcasts "Are you there" requests. What is blocking calibre from hearing and responding to those requests? The usual culprits are on the calibre computer:
  • the AV, especially newer "security suites" like Acronis. Some of them are very difficult to turn off.
  • the network configuration is not "private"
  • the firewall
Less common is the configuration of the wireless router, where either the device connects to a "guest" network or wireless isolation is turned on. Even more rare is the router not passing packets between bands or between radio and a cable.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2019, 05:58 PM   #21
rdy
rdy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7thGen
I have verified I am on a private network.

I did check the debug log for to see if calibre "heard" the connection request but I did not see the word "heard" in the debugging log and I do not really know how to read the debugging log.

I tried connecting with calibre in safe mode but my computer did not find any networks even though i was in networking safe mode. I check the internet and discovered that other people have the same problem on windows 10. I haven't found a solution that would allow me to connect to a network in networking safe mode on window 10.

I tried to ping my device but my computer doesn't seem to be able to ping anything. I changed the firewall setting to all ping through the firewall( I even turned off the firewall) but it didn't work. I don't think my network settings are the problem and I am sure its not my AV or my firewall.

The problem might be found in my computer settings. If someone has any idea of what the solution might be please let me know.
rdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:55 AM   #22
stumped
Wizard

troubelshotting would be easier if you had a sparedevices, then you could test if CC on a different device and see the PC ot if CC on the cuttenr device can ses a different calibre test librtary on a different PC, hopefully ruling out one or the other as beign the problem.

but if not, I suggest you zip and attach all logs to a reply ,and also details of your PC network adaptor(s). you could look into resetting the adaptor to all default settings or daringly disable it, then reboot, which will do the same thing. windows will find it, re-enable it...
more info you can grab and post from the server PC is to run ipconfig /all in a command window
Old 10-27-2019, 03:54 PM   #23
rdy

I think the problem might be my computer settings or my wireless adapter. I tried wirelessly connecting to Calibre using the Calibre Companion app on my android phone. The CC android phone app also could not connect as a wireless device. I connected the CC app on my kindle to the cailbre app on a different computer while the computer was on my private network. Everything connected perfectly and there were no issues.

I once again I tried connecting CC to my computer with both my AV and my windows firewall down but I got the same results. I have ruled out my network and my anti-virus being the culprit.

I went to the trouble shooting settings on my computer and ran a troubleshooting / Diagnostic check on my network adapters. An error message came up. The message stated:
"Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding."

Could the DNS server or the adapter be the problem?
Old 10-27-2019, 03:57 PM   #24
rdy

Quote:
I suggest you zip and attach all logs to a reply ,and also details of your PC network adaptor(s). you could look into resetting the adaptor to all default settings or daringly disable it, then reboot, which will do the same thing. windows will find it, re-enable it...
more info you can grab and post from the server PC is to run ipconfig /all in a command window
I will attach all my network adapter info soon.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:27 PM   #25
stumped
Wizard

Yes, DNS issues cause all sorts of hard to debug problems....
Two that I had. In one case I had modified a tablet wireless connection, to set static IP , which meant I had to type in a DNS. Plex was taking ages sometimes to find a server, and also some web pages would load very slowly,. But others were fine. I did all sorts of uninstall, reboot... Eventually found out I had made a typo on the alternate DNS entry, but not the main one. So I had an unpredictable error as it's not obvious when, why the alternate DNS value gets used.
2nd example, just yesterday turned on a tablet that had been in storage for a few months. Most apps worked but BBC and netflix both kept saying no internet. And play store updates were stuck on pending... Once again I power cycled, cleared caches, reinstalled... No joy. Tablet had been working perfectly before I shut it down for a few months, I was only starting it up again for a battery health check
Turned out I had the DNS in my preferred WiFi set to a smart DNS proxy subscription service which I had stopped paying for, so Geo sensitive things where the proxy would kick in, like netflix and BBC, were failing but other stuff was ok. That also needed a lot of headscratching and induced a fair degree of panic

So for simplicity, set your DNS to Google. 8.8.8.8. and 8.8.4.4. in the network adaptor ip4 properties and see what that cures. Setting it there , on device , will take precedence over any settings in your router, for that device. I like Google for testing as it's easy to remember and to type, and ts also a good DNS.