Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
News Recipes Q's: Filename logic, subdirectory creation, stop cover and OPF?

Primarily using Calibre for downloading news recipes. Have had great success tweaking the actual recipes themselves, but a couple question about the engine in general.

1) Can I stop the cover.jpg and metadata.opf from being created for each recipe? I see that there are options in "Saving books to disk" under preferences that would seem to do just this, but it looks like they are ignored for News downloads.

2) Is there a way to stop calibre from creating a subdirectory for each downloaded news recipe?

3) What is the logic behind the naming convention for the creation of the filenames? It seems to be all of the map. For instance, I have "USA Today - calibre.epub", "Slate (complete) - calibre.epub", "Wired Daily Edition [2011Jun17 0641] - calibre.epub", "The Economist [Fri, 17 Jun 2011] - calibre.epub" The latter format seems to be the most common. I would like to fine-tune the filenames if possible... ("yymmdd-USA Today" for example).

4) Moot point if the subdirectory creation can be suppressed, but there seems to be a running counter in the subdirectory name: "The Economist [Fri, 17 Jun 2011] (507)". Where is the counter stored? Also, is there a way to get this added to the front instead of the end (which would make it more useful for sorting).

Thanks for any info (or pointing me in the right direction of the source code...)

sped
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
This sticky is relevant to your questions.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
This sticky is relevant to your questions.
Thanks for that note - helps out a bit. It somewhat answers question #2 but that was less of a big deal for me (the other questions are more important).

I think I should have mentioned why I was interested in these questions. I currently have a Calibre instance on a server box at home and have it scheduled to pull down my recipes. These get put into a Dropbox folder which I replicate to a couple other machines (that don't have Calibre installed).

On one of these two machines I connect my Nook Touch periodically and copy over all of the recipes just using the OS (windows file explorer).

However, the Nook Touch isn't great and working with the files (obviously not Calibre's fault). I would like to put all of the news EPUB files in one directory, have them named the way I want (for sorting purposes), and not have extra cover.jpg and metadata.opf files (which the Nook Touch doesn't play nice with).

I could do some things outside of Calibre to do some of these things a bit easier, but just wondering if I could tweak Calibre a bit to do these things...

sped
Old 06-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....n-linux-server
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedinfargo View Post
Primarily using Calibre for downloading news recipes. Have had great success tweaking the actual recipes themselves, but a couple question about the engine in general.

1) Can I stop the cover.jpg and metadata.opf from being created for each recipe? I see that there are options in "Saving books to disk" under preferences that would seem to do just this, but it looks like they are ignored for News downloads.
You have some answers related to the library and the linux server. I'm not sure if they answer everything, but if it's not clear, you can get recipe-created ebooks using the command line tools and you have great flexibility there. When working in the GUI, you must let Calibre do its job. From the command line, you can do what you want, but the books won't be in the library (unless you add them).

Quote:
2) Is there a way to stop calibre from creating a subdirectory for each downloaded news recipe?
Command line - as above
Quote:
3) What is the logic behind the naming convention for the creation of the filenames? It seems to be all of the map. For instance, I have "USA Today - calibre.epub", "Slate (complete) - calibre.epub", "Wired Daily Edition [2011Jun17 0641] - calibre.epub", "The Economist [Fri, 17 Jun 2011] - calibre.epub" The latter format seems to be the most common. I would like to fine-tune the filenames if possible... ("yymmdd-USA Today" for example).
Command line tools - "ebook-convert" using a recipe file to specify the book and command line options for name, directory, etc.

Quote:
4) Moot point if the subdirectory creation can be suppressed, but there seems to be a running counter in the subdirectory name: "The Economist [Fri, 17 Jun 2011] (507)". Where is the counter stored? Also, is there a way to get this added to the front instead of the end (which would make it more useful for sorting).
The id (counter) applies only to the library.

See http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/news...ng-new-recipes

Last edited by Starson17; 06-21-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 06:12 PM   #6
spedinfargo
Groupie

Sounds like command-line is the way to go here... too many trade-offs for me on that, though, since I really like the advanced scheduling and threaded-ness of the Calibre GUI.

I might play around with the Calibre source code and see if there's any code suggestions that I can toss Kovid's way...

Thanks for the quick answers (as always).