Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #16
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneFancher View Post
Where do you buy your ebooks?
Amazon
Fictionwise
Books on Board
Baen
Direct from author (when possible)

Free content from right here at MobileRead and also Feedbooks

Last edited by bwaldron; 02-09-2009 at 02:33 PM.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #17
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbFabGab View Post
oh thank you, Lilac!
No Borders near me but we do have Target.
(and we go there a lot..hehe)

I'll be sure to tell hubby! whoohoo!
No problem They're kind of hard to find (even the workers didn't know they were there). They are next to the 505 display.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #18
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
I get most of my eBooks from Fictionwise. If an author has it set up that I can buy directly from them I will do that, but I only find out about them if they advertise on MobileRead. I also get eBooks from BooksOnBoard as they seem to get some titles faster than Fictionwise and sometimes I just can't wait.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #19
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
No problem They're kind of hard to find (even the workers didn't know they were there). They are next to the 505 display.
I'm very excited now because I have a whole bunch
of books on my wishlist (at Sony's ebookstore).

I think I'm going to stick close to you.
You know a lot! hehe
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:08 PM   #20
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbFabGab View Post
I'm very excited now because I have a whole bunch
of books on my wishlist (at Sony's ebookstore).

I think I'm going to stick close to you.
You know a lot! hehe
I make it my business to know, muahahaha! (that was supposed to be an evil laugh)
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:00 AM   #21
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
I mostly buy from Fictionwise but my Trek books haven't been anywhere in LIT format for the past four months so I may have to go back to the Sony store for them. It really peeves me off too since I've got so much micropay to use!
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:00 AM   #22
ebookguru
ebookguru began at the beginning.

Device: BlackBerry
Since I know many of the e-Publishers personally, many times I buy from them directly. When I'm buying mainstream fiction I usually buy from a store like Diesel-eBooks, they tend to be cheaper than the Mobipocket store.

Cheers
ebookguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:20 PM   #23
JaneFancher
Zealot
JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I have purchase/read books from three authors that sell online directly. Two of them are members here. Also, I have read books from another author who has made some of his back catalog available for free download.

Check out the Wiki:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-bo...#Authors_Sites

(I see that Fable publishers is missing from the Wiki. Someone should add it.)

BOb
I'm beginning to detect a pattern here. "First check wiki.mobileread.com before posting".

JaneFancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:22 PM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I'm beginning to detect a pattern here. "First check wiki.mobileread.com before posting".

My work here is done.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #25
JaneFancher
Zealot
JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqref View Post
Hmm. Fictionwise may be talking through their hat. Many Baen books are ALSO on sale at Fictionwise, because Baen licenses a non-exclusive right. So they ARE willing to accept non-exclusive work, at least if you're big enough.

I don't know what Webscriptions requires to offer your books through their service, but at least a couple of smaller publishers are beginning to release packages through Webscriptions (which is the actual name of the store that Baen sells through.) for example, Sharon Lee put all? (most?) of her work up as well as the Lee and Miller co-authored stuff, including work that had previously been on sale at Embiid (which went broke more than a year ago.)

Sale from your personal website gives you lots of control and options, but also lots of obscurity. You can easily reach people from this forum, or any other forum which you take the time to talk to, but a larger site such as Fictionwise might give you more advertising reach.

Another note-taking opportunity: Lots of publishers provide free copies of books at conventions. Could you set up a system to give away e-versions, perhaps via a printed code in the program book, or on coupons given away with the con's check-in package? I know that every book I've received as part of my bag at NorWesCon has had at least the first chapter read (unless I've already read it elsewhere.)

Fictionwise: established publishers have a different contract than independent authors. Very different criteria and really different royalty rates!

Conventions: great minds. I've already drafted an ad to start putting into convention programs throughout the country. Don't want to start putting them in until I have the freebies of my first series ready for download and my website updated. I've completely rewritten them to accommodate the prequel, and I'll be selling those.

Hmmm...actually, I need to get my domain set up. SFF.net has been great all these years, but I need my very own domain if I'm going to sell from it. Need all that secure buying capabilities.

So much to do......
Old 02-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #26
JaneFancher
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
Hmm. It sounds like there could be some demand for a Web 2.0-y site which did all the hard work of letting independent authors sell books? Add some social feedback mechanisms for letting the cream rise to the top, and maybe autoconversion from clean sources, and free download of first-chapter excerpts. So kind of like feedbooks, but with the books for sale.
IThat sounds intrustin'. The notion of setting up as a retail business is not my idea of a good time. I've still got lots of research to do in the simple logistics of selling off my website. I'd LOVE a place that (for a reasonable fee as opposed to 70%) would handle that part of it.

One could even leave the advertising and file conversion to the individual authors and just be the link to which the buying public comes.

Whoopsie. Time to go to dinner.

Thanks EVERYBODY!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #27
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I have bought pretty much everything Baen has, I also bought Steve Jordan's books and am loving them as I work through them all. For a retail type online store I use Fictionwise, but really not for much as so many authors I want to read are not to be had anywhere. And we are talking dead guys and we can't get their stuff as an eBook. Bummer...not just because the dudes are dead, but also because their estate's don't seem to feel ebooks are worth the effort.

Luckily I found almost all of H. Beam Piper on either FeedBooks or ProjectGutenberg. But so many are not to be had even there.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #28
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
For purchase books outside of the Amazon store, Books on Board is mine #1 favorite.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:21 AM   #29
jchestnutt
meow
jchestnutt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
Hmm. It sounds like there could be some demand for a Web 2.0-y site which did all the hard work of letting independent authors sell books? Add some social feedback mechanisms for letting the cream rise to the top, and maybe autoconversion from clean sources, and free download of first-chapter excerpts. So kind of like feedbooks, but with the books for sale.
I think that's what smashwords is trying to be, but they don't seem to have hit critical mass yet.
jchestnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:47 AM   #30
anr
anr began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen CyBook, Asus EeePC, Nokia 770
Most ebooks I buy are from Webscription (www.webscription.net), with Fictionwise in second place. FW has a lot of books I can't get from Baen and Webscription, like Sarah Hoyt's Magical British Empire series. I do buy direct from Steve Jordan. (http://www.stevejordanbooks.com/)

Are your books printed in paper format ? Who by ? Do you own the e-rights ? If so, you might want to approach Arnold at Baen's bar (bar.baen.com) about putting your books up on Webscription.

Quote:
New question for you all.

Where do you buy your ebooks? I know about Kindle, of course, and thanks to you, I've learned about Mobipocket ebooks. Fictionwise is pretty cheeky...they want TEN published works before they'll even consider carrying an author's backlist. Nothing for a shortstory writer, but for a novelist...sheesh, Tolkein wouldn't qualify under their standards!

And they want exclusive rights for five years. Sheesh.

Anyway...do any of you buy directly from authors? And if so, could you give some examples so I can check them out?

And do any online stores other than Kindle carry original work? They all seem interested only in NY's output.

(I love this little blue guy...)
anr is offline   Reply With Quote