Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-13-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
E-Books Are To Hardcovers As DVDs Are To Theatrical Releases

http://www.businessinsider.com/publi...-e-book-2009-7

Just more proof that Publishers don't care about protecting authors or getting there books read. They only care about their bottom line.

Then again, they are in business to gouge... er make money right.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
http://www.businessinsider.com/publi...-e-book-2009-7

Just more proof that Publishers don't care about protecting authors or getting there books read. They only care about their bottom line.

Then again, they are in business to gouge... er make money right.

BOb

Publishers Look at them there, being all quaint and old fashioned. Awwww. So cute

Thanks for the link.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
This sounds like business as usual for the book industry. The hardcover version has always come out a year or so before the paperback version specifically to maximize profit by selling to those who "need" to have it right away. Sounds like they're just lumping in ebooks with paperbacks on the priority scale.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
"The argument is that the cheaper the book is, the more people will buy it. But hardcover books have an audience, and we shouldn't cannibalize it."

Well - currently on Amazon - you can buy many hardcover editions of best-sellers and new releases for pennies - from the folk who immediately buy and read the latest title by popular authors, and then dump them. So publishers miss out totally on those sales. But they could be getting their share of $9.99 per ebook from day one that the book is available.
You do the math.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
This sounds like business as usual for the book industry. The hardcover version has always come out a year or so before the paperback version specifically to maximize profit by selling to those who "need" to have it right away. Sounds like they're just lumping in ebooks with paperbacks on the priority scale.
I have said this many times (and probably sound like a broken record) I would be HAPPY to pay the SAME price for an eBook as the paper version.

RELEASE it as the SAME TIME as the hardcover and charge the SAME price for it.

How hard is that?

When the paperback comes out, reduce the price of the ebook to match the paperback price.

Once paperback sales fall off, release the price of the ebook once again to encourage more sales.

Once the paperback goes out of print, reduce the ebook price again since it will now be back catalog.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
I have said this many times (and probably sound like a broken record) I would be HAPPY to pay the SAME price for an eBook as the paper version.

How hard is that?

When the paperback comes out, reduce the price of the ebook to match the paperback price.

Once paperback sales fall off, release the price of the ebook once again to encourage more sales.

Once the paperback goes out of print, reduce the ebook price again since it will now be back catalog.
I totally agree. I'm fine waiting for paperback releases (and the subsequent reduction in cost of the ebook), but it really irks me when you can buy the paperback cheaper than the ebook.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:49 PM   #7
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
It also irks me when I can get the paperback version cheaper than the ebook...and often in many cases,I can get the hardcover for cheaper-and there's still the added benefit of not being "stuck" ...there are books I want to buy and keep..and books I want to buy and give away-or sometimes just want to lend to someone else...I always compare the ebook price to the hardcover/paperback prices...and determine how much do I really want to "keep" the book....
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:24 AM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I totally agree. I'm fine waiting for paperback releases (and the subsequent reduction in cost of the ebook), but it really irks me when you can buy the paperback cheaper than the ebook.
I second that nomination. There oughta be a law...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:34 AM   #9
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
well, those publishers are like Polaroid. Let us just wait until the big wave washes them out to sea...
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:46 AM   #10
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:

How hard is that?

BOb
One should think it was easy, but apparently not. What could they lose if they sold it at the same price?

I could always turn back to the method I used before the Reader: the library
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:11 AM   #11
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
"Publishers make a hefty margin of $2.15 per e-book -- 8X the 26 cents they get for a digital copy."

Did I miss something that would allow this sentence to make sense?

"releasing the digital copy of a book along with the print version is like releasing the DVD version of a movie the same day its out in theatres"

Anyone want a pile of links to downloads of the new Star Trek movie? (I don't actually have any; I just know it'd take me all of about twelve minutes to get one, or several, ifi I cared to.)

Anyone think that those unauthorized digital versions are cutting into theater viewings?

I can understand delaying the low-cost variant until the "premium" version has had a good shot at the market. However, DVDs no longer trail cinema releases by six months; sometimes it's as little as six weeks. Or less. And ebooks are different from pbooks in ways that theatres are not different from large-screen HD televisions; while many people prefer theatres, almost nobody disdains movies-on-tv-screens entirely.

Publishers need to start figuring out how much of the ebook market won't buy hardcovers at all, regardless of whether an ebook is available, and possibly won't buy paperbacks. Many of those customers are going to buy a handful of books every month, from whatever's available right now. Publishers need to pay attention to how many ebook sales they're losing to less-paranoid competitors.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:45 AM   #12
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Publishers need to start figuring out how much of the ebook market won't buy hardcovers at all, regardless of whether an ebook is available, and possibly won't buy paperbacks. Many of those customers are going to buy a handful of books every month, from whatever's available right now. ...
That's me. Before I started reading digital books, the library was my primary source of books. Hardly ever bought anything. Of course, buying English books online is like 10-20% of the p-book price for me.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:48 AM   #13
Ea
Wizard

Apparently it's based on the idea that a new release must be released for 9.99:

From the article:'"It doesn't make sense for a new book to be valued at $9.99," Dominique Raccah, CEO of Sourcebooks, told the WSJ."'

I guess it's because Amazon - AFAIK - sells them for that price.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:48 AM   #14
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:

How hard is that?

BOb
You fogot one (maybe two) important items:

1) NO DRM like p books
2) NO ADVERTISEMENTS - this is for you kindle owners
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:00 AM   #15
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
2) NO ADVERTISEMENTS - this is for you kindle owners
Paper books do often have advertisements, usually discreet ads for other books.

Also, there's zero evidence that Amazon plans to actually place ads in books. There's a big difference between a patent application and actual practice.

So please, spare us the hysteria until the ads actually show up.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote