Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #151
Jane Eyre
Zealot
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle P.white3/Kobo Clara 2E
So what"s wrong with PW3 that earlier kindle generations don't show to have??
I got the update as soon as it was released and I couldn't figure out that it was no good for the device. . We the users didn't ask anything. ..A. decided...and so?
Do you suggest me to just wait?
I've been practicing the new version. It seems to me it is not as perfect as the past ones, and I found a sort of lack of general fluidity and a bit of battery drain. That''s all.
Jane Eyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:43 AM   #152
Heqian_Yanqiu
Heqian_Yanqiu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Eyre View Post
Hi guys ^_^
Has amazon been fooling PW3's owners around?? In your opinion.
I can't understand what's going on here.. first, they make the version available for my device too. Then they misteriously take that off, and finally it returns for every kindle except mine (PW 3, 7° gen.).
Except for the 8th gen Oasis too.

No, they're not fooling, they just put out a buggy 5.10.1.1 (issues such as not being able to open books; in my case I was told to unregister before updating so my Oasis is not even registered right now) and when people (like me) told them about the issue they took it off and insist that they never put it out in the first place. (in fact I was told by their CS to download it when I contacted earlier regarding another issue).

Oh well I'm still here waiting, though I'm pretty annoyed that this had to happen during the the holiday season (which means in past years I would be cuddled up in a blanket with my kindle but instead I'm having to constantly refresh the kindle software updates page).

Sorry for being salty but can't help it (its been nearly 2 months).
Heqian_Yanqiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2018, 12:01 PM   #153
DrD123
Connoisseur
DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
you'd think there would be a lot of similarity hardware-wise for the 7th generation devices in general - weird that it seems to be fine (5.10.1.1, that is) for the voyage and regular kindle, but not the paperwhite, then for the 8th generation, fine for the regular kindle, but not the oasis? I haven't noticed any oddities for my Voyage. Maybe it's tied to certain books or something like that, where some files cause a problem?
DrD123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:44 AM   #154
khron
khron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G/PW2/Voyage + Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Eyre View Post
So what"s wrong with PW3 that earlier kindle generations don't show to have??
usb support for sound card, bluetooth...
khron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 05:51 AM   #155
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The PW3 does Bluetooth? Really? How?
I have tried mine with a micro USB to USB host adaptor (about €2) and two different generic stereo USB earphone / mic adaptors (one called 5.1 and other 7.1 has buttons. Both cost less than €2 to €3 each inc postage from China/HK, I used Amazon-2weeks and eBay-3weeks). Both worked with Voiceview (the firmware needs to be downloaded to PC from Amazon and then copied via USB to "root".) Why doesn't it download after a prompt semi-automatically via 3G / WiFi when the USB adaptor is detected?
Sadly Voiceview is badly designed (Latest version at time of post, and 5.10.1.1 main firmware, 1 month old approx PW3). It can't be enabled if any "parental" thing is on (like disable Goodreads, now owned by Amazon. Or the too easy to use Store if you loan Kindle). The double tap interval is way too short for detection. Attempting navigation or page skip while the book is read results only in selecting a definition. I can't imagine Voice view being good for partially sighted. I can't read at all without glasses, and couldn't easily use it if I took them off.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2018, 05:03 PM   #156
Axanar
Enthusiast
Axanar has read War And Peace ... all of itAxanar has read War And Peace ... all of itAxanar has read War And Peace ... all of itAxanar has read War And Peace ... all of itAxanar has read War And Peace ... all of itAxanar has read War And Peace ... all of itAxanar has read War And Peace ... all of itAxanar has read War And Peace ... all of itAxanar has read War And Peace ... all of itAxanar has read War And Peace ... all of itAxanar has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Kindle
Same issues here with my 6th Gen Paperwhite

The last update was 5.9.7 which worked perfectly. Today (After some months) I charged the Paperwhite again and when I turned it on a couple of hours later, I was presented by 5.10.1.1.

Dang!

Errors! Books disappearing, regardless whether the books are online from Amazon or in my local device. Some of the purchased books show up. Some of the sideloaded books show up. Plenty of emtpy "scrollable" pages but no book thumbnails on them (empty, not clickable).

This is by far the biggest FAIL from Amazon.

After mounting the Kindle under Linux and looking on the filesystem, all books are there. Nothing deleted.

So it's not a lower than 5.9.7 issue. It can also happen with 5.9.7 - as in my case!

Do they have a QA (quality assurance) or something ? Or did someone do a last minute change before releasing the new firmware ?

I am quite pissed off atm...
Axanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:11 AM   #157
khron
khron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G/PW2/Voyage + Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axanar View Post
After mounting the Kindle under Linux and looking on the filesystem, all books are there. Nothing deleted.
quick fix is to change sort order, I have same problem on voyage

actually I am so mad for this firmware that I have bought el cheapo kobo glo and use it now as main ebook reader, at least it is stable (and have some nice features like integrated pocket articles instead of sending hundreds small "documents")
khron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:40 AM   #158
Heqian_Yanqiu
Heqian_Yanqiu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The update was taken down for all devices and then restored for most but not all. It is currently not available for the original Oasis and PW3 models. Amazon did not reveal why so all we can do is speculate.

In my opinion that sequence of events indicates that Amazon discovered that there was a major problem with the update during the rollout and pulled it. Further investigation then revealed the problem to be confined to only a couple of Kindle models so the firmware was reinstated for all except those.

At this point I would hold off updating a device with firmware that Amazon seems to think is not good to run on that device. I suspect that those devices will be left out of the current update cycle and will have to wait for the next one. At the typical pace that should come out sometime in January. However Amazon might accelerate it to bring all of the recent models back in sync with the same firmware version.
I had read the replies and some had mentioned that originally they had downloaded it, had the issue, Amazon pulled down the update and the new update fixed it, so more likely, they fixed the problem for some only. As for why the others are not fixed, that's not a question I can answer.
Heqian_Yanqiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:08 PM   #159
rosemaryknits
rosemaryknits began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite
I have a paperwhite which I manually (LIKE AN IDIOT) updated to 5.10.1.1 back in mid october (2018) and I have had problems, on and off.

It is so odd. I can't quite put my finger on what the problem actually is.

I don't have any problems at all with amazon books. I don't have any problems at all with docs which I sent via Calibre. I sometimes have problems with docs sent via Send to Kindle. I sometimes have problems with docs sent via Push to Kindle.

At first I was certain that it was azw3 files from Send to Kindle. But, nope, some of those open fine, and some of them just don't. If I attempt to open them on my paperwhite, it causes the paperwhite to hang up which then provides me with a popup error which says something along the line of, This isn't in your cloud, delete and try again. (I forget the exact wording.) However, the exact same document is available for download on any of my other devices (fire and android and ios apps)

But sometimes, it works. Sometimes, a file which I tried to download yesterday, and which didn't open, will download and open today. It is a mystery.

I really so much prefer to read on my paperwhite that I am willing to do this ridiculous thing - I Send to Kindle, then click to download them onto my paperwhite. Then I delete from my amazon/myk

Then, I attach it to my computer, and then ask calibre to fetch them from my paperwhite. Even though the paperwhite says that the articles are not there, they actually are. Then, send BACK to my cloud from calibre, and download onto paperwhite. This works perfectly. Although, I feel like it is sure proof that I have lost my everloving mind.

I sometimes send 25+ articles from Send to Kindle, representing many nights of reading, so this workaround, which is completely stupid, satisfies my desire to read on this freaking paperwhite. Sigh. (I read articles more than any other form of reading.)

The super frustrating thing is that everything about my paperwhite and its relationship to the cloud and with Send to kindle was picture perfect the exact moment before I manually provided it with 5.10.1.1. EVERYTHING. I could cry.
rosemaryknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:27 PM   #160
Amaru
Amaru began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Had no issues on my PW4 with 5.10.1.1 so far, everythings okay.
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:04 PM   #161
zaqxsw
Connoisseur
zaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 - Gen 11
PW3, Gen 7 here. I have been using 5.10.1.1 since it came out. My only known issue is if I go into my book "Collection" and sort by Author, I only see two books. If I sort by Title, or Recent, I see them all.

Luckily, I always sort by Recent so that my newest books show up first.

No other issues that I know of, and I am not a basic user. I use most of the features, especially the Send-to-Kindle for personal .docs. Almost all of my eBooks go through Calibre.

I appreciate all of the good information in this thread! It clarified a lot of questions I've had since v5.10.1.1 was dropped from Amazon's website for the PW Gen 7. Hitching on so I get any new posts. Thanks!
zaqxsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:43 PM   #162
GKSeifert
GKSeifert began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm sorry, you're right. I picked the Kindle Basic (7th Gen) update. I guess I just zeroed in on "7th Generation." (I'll edit the other post.)

Meanwhile the download link is still available for the 7th Generation Paperwhite 3 at:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...e_5.10.1.1.bin

But there may be a reason why they're not listing it on the update page?
I just downloaded from that link. The file is > update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.10.1.1. Since 'All New Paperwhite' is what they call the latest (PW4) version I would have assumed it is for the PW4, and not the PW3. But, I downloaded the latest file for the Gen 7 (PW3) version and was surprised to see that it has the same name up to the version number of 5.9.7. So it seems the PW3 and PW4 are both considered 'new' and were supposed to use the same firmware files.... except that it didn't work.

I also downloaded the Gen 6 (PW2) file. It is called update_kindle_paperwhite_v2_5.10.2. Specifically for the V2. Also note that there is a new firmware version for the PW2, 5.10.2. It has not been installed on mine yet.

I really wish Amazon would SMARTEN THE HECK UP and use ONE designation for each device instead of up to three. The latest is called Generation 10, Paperwhite V4 and the 'All New Paperwhite' depending on where you look. My Paperwhite V3 is also called Generation 7 (What happened to Generations 8 and 9?), and probably something else as well. To make things even more confusing, both my PW2 and PW3 have the same model number, DP75SDI. They do properly identify themselves as PW2 and PW3 at the top of the home page, and the Kindle logo on the front is silver on one and black on the other, but the same model number???

If you have not already done so, don't buy the PW3! It's screen is considerably worse than the PW2 screen. It is a very cold white as compared to a really nice, slightly warm white on the V2. It's bottom edge is quite dark compared to the rest of the screen with even darker areas between the leds where on the V2 the bottom edges is very evenly illuminated. And right now, since it does not have the latest update, and thus no boldness control, it's text looks very weak compared to the V2, almost translucent. If it were not already too late I would return it.

Regards,
Gord
GKSeifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:44 PM   #163
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKSeifert View Post
What happened to Generations 8 and 9?
I believe the oasisv1 and the current basic kindle are 8th gen and the oasisv2 is 9th gen. What I'm saying is there were 8th and 9th gen kindles, just not paperwhites.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:48 AM   #164
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKSeifert View Post
I just downloaded from that link. The file is > update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.10.1.1. Since 'All New Paperwhite' is what they call the latest (PW4) version I would have assumed it is for the PW4, and not the PW3. But, I downloaded the latest file for the Gen 7 (PW3) version and was surprised to see that it has the same name up to the version number of 5.9.7. So it seems the PW3 and PW4 are both considered 'new' and were supposed to use the same firmware files.... except that it didn't work.
Note, as far as firmware update filenames:

Paperwhite: update_kindle

Paperwhite 2: update_kindle_paperwhite_v2

Paperwhite 3: update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite

Paperwhite 4: update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_v2
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:53 AM   #165
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
@GKSeifert: The PW4 (the new water resistant one) is called kindle_all_new_paperwhite_v2 in the update files. Just like the PW2 is designated as kindle_paperwhite_v2 as opposed to kindle_paperwhite for PW1 and kindle_all_new_paperwhite for PW3.

Naming convention is what it is.

And ilovejed beat me to it, see post above.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote