Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-11-2018, 01:45 PM   #1
Vortex
Groupie
Vortex began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars
Save to Disk Template with series in brackets

I'm trying to write a Save-to-disk template to save books with the filenames like:

Authors Name - [Series 3] - The Title.ext

or if there's no series:

Authors Name - The Title.ext

But I can't see any way to avoid getting a pair of empty brackets if there is no series:

Authors Name - [] - The Title.ext

Is it possible?
Vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:26 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/template_lang.html
Look at the beginning of the section on Advanced Formatting

You will be using those |
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2018, 03:03 PM   #3
Vortex
Groupie

I already read that. It works so you only have one " - " between the author and title if there is no series, but I tried all sorts and could not get it to work with brackets in it.

Edit: After re-reading it 4 more time and another 8 attempts, I finally got it to work.

Code:
{authors} {series:| - [|} {series_index:||]} {title:| - |}
I'm sure it could me made easier to understand.

Last edited by Vortex; 10-11-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:42 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Code:
{authors:|| - }{series:|[|}{series_index:| |] - }{title}
I think... Alas, this results in:

authors - [series title

if there's no series_index. Too lazy to check the template documentation how to properly handle series without series_index.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:26 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Code:
{authors:|| - }{series:|[|}{series_index:| |] - }{title}
I think... Alas, this results in:

authors - [series title

if there's no series_index. Too lazy to check the template documentation how to properly handle series without series_index.
It should not be possible to have a series without a series_index. What do you see if you edit metadata for a book in that state? What happens if you run calibre's database check?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2018, 05:39 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
It should not be possible to have a series without a series_index. What do you see if you edit metadata for a book in that state? What happens if you run calibre's database check?
How would you get a book into that state, other than by poking the database into which you shouldn't even be peeking

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:41 PM   #7
Vortex
Groupie

Just noticed that the template is moving the series article to the end after a comma. How do I stop it doing that?

For example in Calibre my series name displays as:

The Series [3]
A Series [2]
An Awful Series [1]

(I think I turned appending the article off in Tweaks once long ago)
But the template above saves as:

- [Awful Series, An 1] -
Old 10-11-2018, 05:55 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
(I think I turned appending the article off in Tweaks once long ago)
Set this Save as tweak to 'strictly_alphabetic'

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	166862

You maybe thinking of the Title/Series sorting tweak relating to articles

BR
Old 10-11-2018, 06:31 PM   #9
Vortex
Groupie

Thanks BR, Oddly It's still exporting with the series articles at the ends.

After making the change to the tweak I restarted calibre, and went back in to make sure it had stayed changed. Double checked that I had changed the correct tweak and re-tried it several times, but it's still exporting with appended series articles.

Last edited by Vortex; 10-11-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:59 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Hmmm

Using library_order and strictly_alphabetical with this template

Code:
I get following when I save Epub to Disk:

Views:	466
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	166865

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-11-2018 at 07:34 PM. Reason: attach uncropped image
Old 10-11-2018, 07:02 PM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
That was just a theoretical example. I've forgotten Calibre automatically assigns series_index. Been a while since I dealt with series.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:15 AM   #12
Vortex
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Hmmm

Code:

Attachment 166865

BR
I take it by 'library_order' you mean:

Code:
# Control sorting of titles and series in the library display

title_series_sorting = 'library_order'
That's how it's set.

Also is it 'strictly_alphabetical' or as you said yesterday 'strictly_alphabetic' ?

Neither makes any difference though.

Kovid Goyal - The Calibre Documents 1 - DOCX Demo.epub

saves as:

Kovid Goyal - [Calibre Documents, The 1] - DOCX Demo.epub
Old 10-12-2018, 06:25 AM   #13
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Code:
# Control formatting of title and series when used in templates

save_template_title_series_sorting = 'strictly_alphabetic'

Edit: BR already posted this...

Make sure you are changing save_template_title_series_sorting

Last edited by JimmyR; 10-12-2018 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Add Info
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:01 AM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR View Post
Code:
# Control formatting of title and series when used in templates

save_template_title_series_sorting = 'strictly_alphabetic'

Edit: BR already posted this...

Make sure you are changing save_template_title_series_sorting
✔️

Views:	241
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	166866

BR
Old 10-12-2018, 10:16 AM   #15
Vortex
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Hmmm

Code:

Attachment 166865

BR
You asked if I was using 'library_order' and 'strictly_alphabetical', but you didn't specify which tweak 'library_order' referred to, so I was trying to clarify.

These are my settings for those 2 Tweaks:

Still saving to disk with the appended articles in the filenames.

Last edited by Vortex; 10-12-2018 at 10:21 AM.