Notices

Old 11-30-2015, 04:54 PM   #1
sahbi
Enthusiast
sahbi is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony:psr 650 , KOBO:aura h2O, KOBO:Aura One
Kobo-how to install koreader

hello everybody,
I got a Kobo aura h2o, and I am not satisfied with the default pdf reader, after some digging I came to the conclusion to install the Koreader, I want to use it to read mostly Programming books. I already made my way through many posts here , and now my question:
which way is the less invasive to install it ? someone could also say the cleanest way.The only functionality I want to have is to start koreader from an icon on the home screen, and I have no interest to install anything else.
it would be great if a connoisseur will help me do that.
(Actually my Kobo is running fw 3.17.0 )
and thanks in advance.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 01-02-2016 at 04:49 PM.
sahbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:21 AM   #2
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
What you ask should be possible with Files Monitor (be careful, that may not be compatible with firmware 3.17), but I'd recommend Kobo Start Menu instead. See https://github.com/koreader/koreader...n-Kobo-devices for more information.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2015, 02:22 AM   #3
sahbi
Enthusiast

@Frenzie
thanks for your answer,
I looked inside KSM, but there is a bunch of stuff what I do not need, I guess from all binaries and scripts there maybe one or two things will do the trick for me, I will not use wifi, and do not want my kobo to download anything from the kobo server either on behalf of me etc..., so my usage will be to stuck a mSD card with some pdfs or epubs and read them, and KSM has too many features and too cluttered for my personal usage.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:51 AM   #4
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I basically just use KSM for starting KOReader and USB transfers. I find it less cluttered than Nickel, but I suppose that's personal.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:01 AM   #5
sahbi
Enthusiast

To use files monitor do I have to patch fw 3.17 or do I have to upgrade to 3.18 ?
Advert
Old 12-02-2015, 02:43 PM   #6
Frenzie
Wizard

Presumably the lower the better for support, but I don't know anything about that route.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:48 PM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Perhaps this is still working, as I understand it the startup/rcS file has remained much the same since 3.11. This approach gives you a start up menu to select launching Nickel or KOReader, and that is all.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #8
sahbi
Enthusiast

@Frenzie
@Ken
Thanks for your help, I think advboot is the way for me to go,
but
I made a mistake when I said that my aura h2o has fw 3.17.0
as it's only fw 3.7.0 so now I guess I must upgrade?, what's the most stable fw actually out there, with really usefull features? what do you advice me to install? to register I have followed the precedure described here adding a sql record manually, and want to also manually upgrade the firmware.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:58 PM   #9
Frenzie
Wizard

For custom mods a lower firmware version is more likely to be properly supported than a higher firmware version. As for stability I don't think there's such a thing as one that's unstable. I'm pretty sure that all versions use what amounts to the same Linux kernel regardless and that it's only the Nickel software which differs. For features, you'd have to ask someone who uses Nickel.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:44 PM   #10
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
They tried to introduce a "feature" in 3.17.x that was trouble and had to drop it in 3.18, I would avoid 3.17 anyway. The advboot download at the link I posted should work with your device on 3.7.0. (I don't use Nickel for reading so I haven't "updated" the Kobo firmware past 3.5.0.)

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:08 PM   #11
sahbi
Enthusiast

is there any changelog to each release by kobo?
Old 12-03-2015, 06:06 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Kobo do not release a detailed release log. There should be a list of major changes available on the device after the upgrade.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:02 AM   #13
sahbi
Enthusiast

After reading the discussions for fw 3.15 and 3.16 and 3.17 I am confused and can not decide what release to install.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:35 AM   #14
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahbi View Post
After reading the discussions for fw 3.15 and 3.16 and 3.17 I am confused and can not decide what release to install.
If you did not find any advantage that you want to enjoy or any disadvantage that you want to avoid at any costs in the discussions of these firmwares, I would say go with the most recent one (3.18.0). You did not mention the discussions about 3.18.0. Maybe you want to read them too.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:49 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahbi View Post
Firstly, DO NOT use either 3.16.10 or 3.17.0.

3.18.0 is good except some extra flashing when using the unsupported full screen mode and at a new chapter in kepubs. These weren't to bad to my mind.

There will be a new firmware released in the next week or two if you want to wait.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote