Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-10-2018, 02:03 AM   #1
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
PNG in KF8 yet?

The newest Amazon guidelines say :
Quote:
KF8 supports GIF, BMP, JPEG, PNG, and Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) images.
Kindlegen 2.9 however converts PNG in epubs to either GIF or JPEG on its whim, bloating the file and (when it makes JPEGs), blurring it. Does the update change that? I'd love to be able to use PNG.
Now I make text images (e.g. title pages), diagrams, most maps, ornaments, as GIF files, so they don't get messed up by Kindlegen.
(I'm avoiding KFX at this time.)

Last edited by AlanHK; 10-10-2018 at 02:10 AM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:00 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The documentation states that you can use PNG in the source of your book. It does not say that customers will receive PNG as a result.

Amazon reprocesses images, potentially changing their format, quality, and dimensions. This will vary based on the target device and file format.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:15 PM   #3
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The documentation states that you can use PNG in the source of your book. It does not say that customers will receive PNG as a result.
Was this scripted by Amazon's legal department?
I cited the documentation that states the KF8 format does support PNG.

Quote:
Amazon reprocesses images, potentially changing their format, quality, and dimensions.
I want to know if I can actually make a KF8 file, using the PNGs Amazon states are supported by the format, and not have them "processed" and degraded.

I'm guessing the answer is still "No", but I live in hope.

I have heard that Calibre can do this, but while I'm sure it would work, might not be accepted for upload to Amazon.

Quote:
This will vary based on the target device and file format.
There are KF7, KF8, KFX, AZK. The files do not "vary"for each device, though how each device displays them may be different. Or am I mistaken?
I don't care about KF7, but the rest should be able to cope with PNG, a format unencumbered by patents invented over 20 years ago.

Last edited by AlanHK; 10-10-2018 at 11:33 PM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
There are KF7, KF8, KFX, AZK. The files do not "vary"for each device, though how each device displays them may be different. Or am I mistaken?
Even the same format (eg KF8) can be delivered with different image content based on the reading device/app.

This thread has a discussion of different image content being delivered to customers of the same kindle book.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:01 AM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
Was this scripted by Amazon's legal department?
I cited the documentation that states the KF8 format does support PNG.
Yes, and it's said that since at least 2012. In the 2012.4 documentation:

Quote:
3.5.1 Image Guideline #1: Use Supported Input Formats
The Kindle platform supports GIF, BMP, JPEG, non-transparent PNG, and Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) images.
Which is pretty much what it says NOW, no??? In fact, unless I'm losing it, 9.4.1 says exactly what 3.5.1 said 6 years ago. :-)

...and, as far as I know, nothing in terms of that has really changed. Although, Alan, we get really good image quality, compared to 2012 or even 2015. Yes, like you, we use PNGs and GIFs as the base image--GIF for line-art and tables, etc., PNGs for pretty much everything else. The image quality of the reprocessing has certainly increased. IMHO, of course.

Quote:
I want to know if I can actually make a KF8 file, using the PNGs Amazon states are supported by the format, and not have them "processed" and degraded.

I'm guessing the answer is still "No", but I live in hope.
Sorry--unless something's changed in the last two or three days, the answer is "no." I was just discussing this with them, as it happens. I have a client that is having cows over the fact that in Sepia/Night/Green his fleurons and chapter heads have the ubiquitous "white box" behind them. (sigh). I even sent him a Harry Potter, so he could see that even the biggest author in the world has the dreaded White Box. ;-) (not your issue, I know--yours being degradation--but that's why I was on with them.)

Quote:
I have heard that Calibre can do this, but while I'm sure it would work, might not be accepted for upload to Amazon.
Given that the resulting file would be, at best, reprocessed, during the intake and PW (Publishing Workflow, as Amazon calls it) it's somewhat moot.

Quote:
I don't care about KF7, but the rest should be able to cope with PNG, a format unencumbered by patents invented over 20 years ago.
They absolutely vary. HD images, non-HD images...two different devices literally get different files. About 4 years ago, there was KF8 and KF7. Now, there are myriad different...flavors, I'd guess I call them...of KF8 delivered to the different devices.

You could try SVG, of course, but that's got its own issues and equally, KF7 doesn't support that at all. Moreover, at the moment, SVG will cause a page-break after each usage, too. Kind of a big PITA, really.

May I ask what type of image you're fighting with? Or examples, or...? I probably can't help, but you never know, someone here might have a helpful idea.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:54 AM   #6
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
just a suggestion that *small* ornaments (fleurons, etc) can be generated as font glyphs

Create a SVG image, and import into a font editor which is capable of such things ---such as Type 3.2 from CR8 Software Solutions --- Convert to glyph, and add that glyph to an embedded font.

(PS-- you can also copy glyphs from one font to another with this app)

I have done this many times, but of course, I am a hobbyist, and not using KDP.

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 10-13-2018 at 01:22 AM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:40 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
just a suggestion that *small* ornaments (fleurons, etc) can be generated as font glyphs

Create a SVG image, and import into a font editor which is capable of such things ---such as Type 3.2 from CR8 Software Solutions --- Convert to glyph, and add that glyph to an embedded font.

(PS-- you can also copy glyphs from one font to another with this app)

I have done this many times, but of course, I am a hobbyist, and not using KDP.
Granny:

That would not be a great solution for KDP, as the KF7's can't display embedded fonts, and equally, many KF8 devices (the Paperwhite family) allow the total overriding of embedded fonts, so that the font glyphs would not work at all.

Hitch
Old 10-14-2018, 11:46 PM   #8
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
@Hitch, you are right of course. Hobbyists can rush in where pros dare not tread.

I always map my special glyphs to a semi-decorative character (asterisk, tilde, etc), so even if the embedded font is not used, it won't look too awful. But the professional production will be expected to display the decoration, not an asterisk.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 10:14 AM   #9
Oxford-eBooks
Zealot
Oxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Loads!
Oh bother and heck. Transparent PNGs still not reliably supported in 2022?

This is going to explain the problem I'm getting. I'd always thought that it was working - though to be honest it's hardly been a problem for years with just simple character head images.
I'd "assumed that becuse Amazon said PNG is supported that it would be true" (more fool me!)

What I'm currently finding is that I have a table with shaded backgrounds on alternate rows. There are PNG icons (nicely made with transparent backgrounds). BUT... on the white background lines, SOME of the PNGs have aquired the background colour of the shaded cells!!!

Um, well, SOME of them. In fact if the icon first appers in a cell that has a white background then the image will have a white box throughout, if the icon first appears on a SHADED cell, then all subsequent instances of that image have a shaded box.

... well, that's just lovely.

Just gonna have to drop the alternate shading and face the customer.
Oxford-eBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 11:12 AM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxford-eBooks View Post
Oh bother and heck. Transparent PNGs still not reliably supported in 2022?

This is going to explain the problem I'm getting. I'd always thought that it was working - though to be honest it's hardly been a problem for years with just simple character head images.
I'd "assumed that becuse Amazon said PNG is supported that it would be true" (more fool me!)

What I'm currently finding is that I have a table with shaded backgrounds on alternate rows. There are PNG icons (nicely made with transparent backgrounds). BUT... on the white background lines, SOME of the PNGs have aquired the background colour of the shaded cells!!!

Um, well, SOME of them. In fact if the icon first appers in a cell that has a white background then the image will have a white box throughout, if the icon first appears on a SHADED cell, then all subsequent instances of that image have a shaded box.

... well, that's just lovely.

Just gonna have to drop the alternate shading and face the customer.
"Supported" has meant, for over a decade, converted to jpg. That's it. Even the Harry Potter Kindle eBooks show the "png" chapter images as white-backgrounded, (as they are jpgs, not pngs or anything else with transparency).

Not sure what that "shading' is--you should see white boxes and nothing else.

Hitch
Old 11-23-2022, 11:59 AM   #11
Oxford-eBooks
Zealot
Oxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of light

@hitch: Yeah, lke I said, not really fussed about white boxes on the chapter head and the odd decorative image. (Yes, I saw the comment about Harry Potter - that's a great go-to to tell customers that have problems!)

"shaded" - customer wanted a light tan background colour in alternate table rows. Looks lovely... well, if only they didn't want fancy glyphs for icons in one of the columns which I then had to conver to images for fear of embedded fonts not being reliable.

Interesting though that the converted image background inherits the table cell's background colour from the first instance seen. Surprised that they've gone to the effort of being that 'clever'.
Old 11-23-2022, 12:05 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does the Kindle support transparent GIF?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 12:20 PM   #13
Oxford-eBooks
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does the Kindle support transparent GIF?
Pfft... why would they ever do something as useful as that?
Old 11-23-2022, 12:23 PM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxford-eBooks View Post
@hitch: Yeah, lke I said, not really fussed about white boxes on the chapter head and the odd decorative image. (Yes, I saw the comment about Harry Potter - that's a great go-to to tell customers that have problems!)

"shaded" - customer wanted a light tan background colour in alternate table rows. Looks lovely... well, if only they didn't want fancy glyphs for icons in one of the columns which I then had to conver to images for fear of embedded fonts not being reliable.

Interesting though that the converted image background inherits the table cell's background colour from the first instance seen. Surprised that they've gone to the effort of being that 'clever'.
Eh, embedded fonts have been pretty reliable for a while, if the glyphs are supported with unicode. If not, of course, if they are out-there swashes and all that, that's another thing altogether and it's a bugger if only a given font has them--then you have big-time issues when the user changes fonts.

On the shading--well...that's doable. Tables are always rough, the choice between the smooth and the not-so. We still use our typical 3-4-columns, not-more-than-10-15 rows "rule of thumb" in deciding which way to go.

Yes, having the HPs does help with fractious customers. At least something does.

Hitch
Old 11-23-2022, 12:33 PM   #15
Oxford-eBooks
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Eh, embedded fonts have been pretty reliable for a while, if the glyphs are supported with unicode. If not, of course, if they are out-there swashes and all that, that's another thing altogether and it's a bugger if only a given font has them--then you have big-time issues when the user changes fonts.

On the shading--well...that's doable. Tables are always rough, the choice between the smooth and the not-so. We still use our typical 3-4-columns, not-more-than-10-15 rows "rule of thumb" in deciding which way to go.

Yes, having the HPs does help with fractious customers. At least something does.

Hitch
Hmmm.. I thought I saw a thread recently (dont ask me which) where someone said that you can't rely on embedded fonts. Might have been an iOS thing? I've not had problems embedding fonts in the past.

Hilariously: All but ONE of the icons are found in a font that I embedded, but one of them had to be taken from a different font and wouldn't render. Would have gotten away with it ALL if it hadn't been for that one pesky glyph!

Oh, the shaded table rows work just peachy on KP3 not a problem AT ALL.