Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-26-2023, 04:37 PM   #5926
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I wish the hold times with library books wasn’t so long. If was able to get a library book on my kobo without a long wait I wouldn’t have to buy so many books. Most people read have 6 to 8 week hold times. TimeThey are available I have lost interest.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 05:30 PM   #5927
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I wish the hold times with library books wasn’t so long. If was able to get a library book on my kobo without a long wait I wouldn’t have to buy so many books. Most people read have 6 to 8 week hold times. TimeThey are available I have lost interest.
Well, if you've lost interest, move on and let the next person have it. But if you've lost interest in six weeks, perhaps it wasn't such a good buy at the time, either.

I get it. Some books languish on my wishlist and the reality is that they'll never get cheap enough or I'll never want them enough to buy them. So I purge them. There's still a ton of books I'm dying to read out there. And in my accounts, more to the point.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2023, 09:53 PM   #5928
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Honestly, most of the time I forget about a library hold by the time it's available. So it's usually either a pleasant surprise or 'why the hell did I put a hold on this?'

I still have $6 and change in my Kobo account, so every day I've been skimming through the under $5 section and checking my wishlist. Haven't found anything yet. I might just use it against a more expensive wishlist book after I catch up a bit on the backlog.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 09-26-2023 at 09:57 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 12:31 PM   #5929
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A friend sent me this:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/pi...-books-cartoon
Old 10-07-2023, 01:58 PM   #5930
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I hate when amazon will not let you do a return on an ebook you bought on impulse
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2023, 05:03 PM   #5931
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I still have $6 and change in my Kobo account, so every day I've been skimming through the under $5 section and checking my wishlist. Haven't found anything yet. I might just use it against a more expensive wishlist book after I catch up a bit on the backlog.
I managed to find three books. One of them was on my wishlist, one was recommended by a friend, and one came up by chance while skimming through the daily deals.

As for the backlog/pile of shame... I managed to get 45 read in September, so I don't feel too bad about it.
Old 10-08-2023, 10:47 AM   #5932
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I was going to put a hold on a book until I found out it had an estimated 147 weeks wait with 20 copies of the ebook available. It came up on ereaderiq for $1.99 a couple of months later. Bought it.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 05:23 PM   #5933
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I've decided not buy any more books till Christmas. When I get my next survey payment I'll send myself a Kobo gift card and set the delivery date for December 25.
Old 12-03-2023, 01:29 AM   #5934
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Hmmm... According to Kobo's Reading Life, during November, I managed to flip 41,314 pages while reading 109 books. After today's purchases, my TBR stands at 2 books plus a library book which I haven't downloaded yet.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 02:33 AM   #5935
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmmm... According to Kobo's Reading Life, during November, I managed to flip 41,314 pages while reading 109 books. After today's purchases, my TBR stands at 2 books plus a library book which I haven't downloaded yet.
Sorry - TWO? (plus a library book?)

Did you mean to write 200 and missed the zeros off?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 05:28 PM   #5936
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Sorry - TWO? (plus a library book?)

Did you mean to write 200 and missed the zeros off?
Nope. I meant TWO. My issue is that I am pretty much incapable of buying a book and not finishing it in the very near future. Pretty much the opposite problem to many posting in this thread where their books read per month is lower than their books purchased or borrowed, Sometimes, instead of purchasing or borrowing new to me books, I will start re-reading a series or author such my current start on re-reading my collection of David Eddings books but even so I tend to pick up at least 1 book per day.

I may be an addict, I just don't have the massive TBR list that many do.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 02:24 AM   #5937
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I may be an addict, I just don't have the massive TBR list that many do.
You might buy a lot of books, but that doesn't seem to be silly or a problem, if you're also reading them all (& not spending more than you can afford).

For some of us, buying more than we can read is silly, and we need to remind ourselves only to buy books that we really want to read, not just ones that are on offer.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 04:48 AM   #5938
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Is it an issue if you download PD titles faster than you read them, and free offers on Amazon / Kobo / Smashwords? Technically you didn't spend money.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 05:37 AM   #5939
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Unfortunately I’m a sucker for 99p “bargains” on kobo and Amazon. My TBR list is growing.
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 06:31 AM   #5940
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Is it an issue if you download PD titles faster than you read them, and free offers on Amazon / Kobo / Smashwords? Technically you didn't spend money.
It's up to you, really. For a while I counted all of my incoming books vs all of my outgoing books, but I've decided the last couple of years not to be bothered about freebies. It is a bit silly to download them when you're 99% certain you will never read them, but there's no harm done.

I'm not sure I've ever read a First Reads book, but I still occasionally grab them if there's something I'm vaguely interested in (and I'm on Prime, so get a freebie). And I recently picked up 5 free books from an indie fantasy sale which it's fairly unlikely I will ever get to. Whether I should count them as TBR when they're only vaguely potentially TBR is another question. They're not really any more TBR than the contents of project gutenberg or my local library.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote