Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-26-2024, 11:06 AM   #1
JollyRoger
Zealot
JollyRoger is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
How to stop files converting to KFX

I thought I had everything sorted until I just bought some more books from Amazon. When importing them into Calibre they change from AZW3 files to KFX. I've got KFX plugins so I converted them back to AZW3 but why are they changing to KFX anyway? Latest version of Calibre and the plugins.
JollyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 11:25 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Preferences -> Adding books -> Adding actions: do you have "Automatically convert added books..." checked? If so, uncheck this.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 11:27 AM   #3
JollyRoger
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Preferences -> Adding books -> Adding actions: do you have "Automatically convert added books..." checked? If so, uncheck this.
No I didn't have any preference set at all. I have changed it now to automatically change it to AZW3 but prior to that nothing was set.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:28 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRoger View Post
No I didn't have any preference set at all. I have changed it now to automatically change it to AZW3 but prior to that nothing was set.
How did you add those books? Kindle for PC? Download & Transfer?
Old 04-26-2024, 11:35 AM   #5
JollyRoger
Zealot

Kindle for PC and then imported them. Going through settings now but there's hundreds and tbh I don't understand half of them.
The odd thing is they're all in their own folder with azw filetypes. They must change to kfx when I import them into calibre.

Last edited by JollyRoger; 04-26-2024 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:41 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Kindle for PC and then imported them. Going through settings now but there's hundreds and tbh I don't understand half of them
What you are doing is downloading KFX through Kindle for PC. Given that you have a Kindle, you can use Download & Transfer via USB to download your purchased Kindle eBooks. You will get KF8 or Mobi. Mostly KF8.

I suggest you turn off the feature to convert to KF8 and just do it manually if that's what you want to do. You will have mostly KF8 if you follow my advice.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-26-2024 at 11:44 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 11:49 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Kindle for PC and then imported them. Going through settings now but there's hundreds and tbh I don't understand half of them.
The odd thing is they're all in their own folder with azw filetypes. They must change to kfx when I import them into calibre.
The files downloaded with the Kindle for PC are KFX files. There's nothing you can do if you use this method.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:33 PM   #8
JollyRoger
Zealot

Quote:
The files downloaded with the Kindle for PC are KFX files. There's nothing you can do if you use this method.
No, they have an azw extension.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:34 PM   #9
JollyRoger
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What you are doing is downloading KFX through Kindle for PC. Given that you have a Kindle, you can use Download & Transfer via USB to download your purchased Kindle eBooks. You will get KF8 or Mobi. Mostly KF8.

I suggest you turn off the feature to convert to KF8 and just do it manually if that's what you want to do. You will have mostly KF8 if you follow my advice.
I'm confused. I don't convert to KF8. I've not heard of that one before.
I've just downloaded to transfer with USB and it has come down as a azw3 file. I imported that into Calibre and it has stayed an azw3 file. So that's the key, don't use Kindle for PC anymore to download files?

Last edited by JollyRoger; 04-26-2024 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:41 PM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That doesn't matter, they're KFX.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:42 PM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm confused. I don't convert to KF8. I've not heard of that one before.
I've just downloaded to transfer with USB and it has come down as a azw3 file. I imported that into Calibre and it has stayed an azw3 file. So that's the key, don't use Kindle for PC anymore to download files?
KF8 is AZW3.

Yes, if you want azw3 out of the box, don't use Kindle for PC.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:44 PM   #12
JollyRoger
Zealot

Quote:
KF8 is AZW3.

Yes, if you want azw3 out of the box, don't use Kindle for PC.
I was advised some time ago that azw3 is the best format as it can be read by any reader, and converts well into any other format. So I think I'll stick with downloading and importing straight into calibre now. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-26-2024, 01:32 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I was advised some time ago that azw3 is the best format as it can be read by any reader, and converts well into any other format. So I think I'll stick with downloading and importing straight into calibre now. Thanks for the help.
Kindle formats are for Kindles (mostly). For other brands, the need to be converted.
AZW3 is a great starting format for Amazon Purchases as it is mostly a wrapered EPUB. (the conversion to EPUB is very fast)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 03:26 PM   #14
JollyRoger
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Kindle formats are for Kindles (mostly). For other brands, the need to be converted.
AZW3 is a great starting format for Amazon Purchases as it is mostly a wrapered EPUB. (the conversion to EPUB is very fast)
I just tried one from azw3 to epub without any specific settings and it's perfect. I've never used epub before, so thanks
Old 04-26-2024, 06:53 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
All eBooks downloaded with Kindle for PC come with a .azw extention regardless of the format.

If you follow my directions posted above, you'll be able to download mostly KF8 and no need to convert.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote