Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 02-24-2020, 01:13 PM   #61
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mims View Post
Marvin 2 is still my favorite over Marvin 3.
What do you like that is different in Marvin 2?
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:37 PM   #62
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
The Goldilocks paradigm. Some readers are bare bones and some have more bells and whistles than I want to bother with, but Marvin 2 has all the things that are important to me. I have it set the way I like and it woks for me. YMMV
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2020, 04:58 PM   #63
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
OT reply under spoiler
Spoiler:
Marvin 2 is too blurry on non-9.7" iPads and Dropbox doesn't work so I'm forced to use Marvin 3.

That said a few things I prefer on Marvin 2 over 3:
  • you could view series, subjects and markers in the "list info line"; Marvin 3 makes you choose just one
  • "one-click" access to metadata and summary; takes 2 taps on Marvin 3 and the summary is a separate menu option from metadata
  • more reliable at keeping the last page read
  • option to brute force word calculation in case auto-calc fails
  • back when Dropbox was still working, Dropbox syncing seemed more reliable than iCloud syncing
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:03 PM   #64
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you think it would be blurry on the Mini 5? Does it lose the page number and give "?" like 3? Sounds like I might prefer it to Marvin 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
OT reply under spoiler
Spoiler:
Marvin 2 is too blurry on non-9.7" iPads and Dropbox doesn't work so I'm forced to use Marvin 3.

That said a few things I prefer on Marvin 2 over 3:
  • you could view series, subjects and markers in the "list info line"; Marvin 3 makes you choose just one
  • "one-click" access to metadata and summary; takes 2 taps on Marvin 3 and the summary is a separate menu option from metadata
  • more reliable at keeping the last page read
  • option to brute force word calculation in case auto-calc fails
  • back when Dropbox was still working, Dropbox syncing seemed more reliable than iCloud syncing
Old 02-24-2020, 05:47 PM   #65
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Do you think it would be blurry on the Mini 5?

- Should be fine. Iirc, it's resolutions introduced 2015 and newer that are blurry (the 12.9, 10.5 and 10.2 basically get a resized/resampled version of the 9.7").

Does it lose the page number and give "?" like 3?

- As mentioned, I found 2 keeps reading progress better than 3. I've never gotten that "?" on either, though.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2020, 03:07 PM   #66
cabridges
cabridges began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
So, new Calibre Companion arrived. And it wants money.

Fair enough. Development costs money. I subscribe to apps I value, and if nothing had changed besides that I would have shrugged and signed up.

But they changed the app and, for me at least, it’s useless now. I connect to my Dropbox and look at new books. I get a list of... not the last six, it’s missing the books I added today. But the next-to-last books. And only six of so, I scroll down and they just repeat over and over. I tapped one and tried to download it, and I get an error that the metadata is wrong and it can’t be downloaded. Tried to go back and the new books screen is now empty.

If I go back to the main menu and come back in, I get the abbreviated list again and apparently none of my books can be downloaded, even books I’ve downloaded before.

I’ve rebooted my phone (iPhone 11, latest iOS). No luck.

I’m ready to pay for it but I’ll probably just delete it now. Any fixes coming?
cabridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:11 AM   #67
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabridges View Post
Did you try to connect to Calibre either by wireless or content server? Wondering how those work before more $ goes out.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:06 PM   #68
PMrev
Groupie
PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: kindle
Quote:

Fair enough. Development costs money. I subscribe to apps I value, and if nothing had changed besides that I would have shrugged and signed up.

But they changed the app and, for me at least, it’s useless now. I connect to my Dropbox and look at new books. I get a list of... not the last six, it’s missing the books I added today. But the next-to-last books. And only six of so, I scroll down and they just repeat over and over. I tapped one and tried to download it, and I get an error that the metadata is wrong and it can’t be downloaded. Tried to go back and the new books screen is now empty.

If I go back to the main menu and come back in, I get the abbreviated list again and apparently none of my books can be downloaded, even books I’ve downloaded before.

Hey Cabridges,

Can you please send a screenshot of what you are seeing to alex@goldtreeway.com.

We were not able to duplicate your bug based on this description and any additional info would be super helpful for us to dig into the bug.

Thank you,
Alex
PMrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 01:33 PM   #69
zebradude
Addict
zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See Signature
Quote:

Thanks for the heads up! I do not have many subs BUT this is worth it! I just signed up for the yearly sub.
zebradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:13 PM   #70
piovac
piovac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Note 4, Samsung Tab S, MacBook Pro
i paid for the old premium version, why I have been reverted to trial???

I bought the premium application several years ago while it was developed by another company. Now, with the latest upgrade by the new developer, this application reverted to a trial version, asking for a subscription fee. I understand that the new developer wants to move to a subscription model to found the development. Nevertheless, it should have done that by creating a new app and leaving the old one unmaintained. I am not sure that the operation performed by the developer complied with the terms of the App Store. In any case, I consider it quite inappropriate. I urge to have my application (the one that I pay for) back. If not I am gong to escalate the issue to Apple.
piovac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:11 AM   #71
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by piovac View Post
I bought the premium application several years ago while it was developed by another company. Now, with the latest upgrade by the new developer, this application reverted to a trial version, asking for a subscription fee. I understand that the new developer wants to move to a subscription model to found the development. Nevertheless, it should have done that by creating a new app and leaving the old one unmaintained. I am not sure that the operation performed by the developer complied with the terms of the App Store. In any case, I consider it quite inappropriate. I urge to have my application (the one that I pay for) back. If not I am gong to escalate the issue to Apple.
You don't think you have gotten $5 usage out of the app over the past several years?

Perhaps it would have been better to release it as CC 2, kind of like Marvin went from Marvin 2 to Marvin 3, because it is a complete rewrite, but you can't go back in time. If you want to use it for free, well they have said that it's going to revert to an ad based free app for those you don't want to pay.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:36 PM   #72
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
You don't think you have gotten $5 usage out of the app over the past several years?

Perhaps it would have been better to release it as CC 2, kind of like Marvin went from Marvin 2 to Marvin 3, because it is a complete rewrite, but you can't go back in time. If you want to use it for free, well they have said that it's going to revert to an ad based free app for those you don't want to pay.
This is not a case of 'Got My Use'.
This is a case they violated terms of sale by the way they did it. As suggested, there were other ways that left existing users as is (was before the fiasco).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:31 AM   #73
Primus_Pilus
Supervillain Consultant
Primus_Pilus began at the beginning.

Device: BOOX 10.3, Kobo Aura ONE, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post

I PAID for the software back in 2019, it's mine.
Coming after me and crippling already paid for software because you want a subscription is extremely dirty business. Escalating with Apple on this.
Primus_Pilus is offline   Reply With Quote