Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Anyone using Night-Mode?

For anyone not knowing about it: The Odyssey has a unique (to eink readers) feature of "Night-Mode" display of a inverse (white text on black background) display when reading ePub.

I don't particularily like that it is called "night mode", but that might just be better sounding than "inverse". Always wondered, as have others, what the use might be for it. Eink is as easily readable at night no matter if black/white or white/black is used. Of course you will need some sort of light source. It still can be useful when a light can be made to shine only on the reader as to limit the amount of reflected light into the room. Every now and then I turn on night mode just to see what it is all about. Under artificial light it has almost the same quality as the normal mode. Almost, because the black part of the screen is more reflective than the white. Not actually more reflective, but reflections are easier to spot.

Now I am liking that so much that I have not switched back to the normal black text display. The only thing I needed to get used to is the white flash instead of the black flash. With the Odyssey beeing black the black background of the screen kind of blends in and makes the device even better looking as a whole, but that is just me.

What are your experiences with Night-Mode?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:32 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
The Orizon has night mode too. The problem I see is it's not really inverse, it's just white text on black background, illustrations are normal (which is good, but looks strange), other styled colours remain the same (one should either set or colours or set none), and highlighting is more difficult to see, because instead of making the background gray, as normal, it makes just the text gray.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
The Orizon has night mode too. The problem I see is it's not really inverse, it's just white text on black background, illustrations are normal (which is good, but looks strange), other styled colours remain the same (one should either set or colours or set none), and highlighting is more difficult to see, because instead of making the background gray, as normal, it makes just the text gray.
Oh ok thank you. It seams then it is a Bookeen exclusive feature on some (or all) of their readers - I did not know that since I did not upgrade from a Cybook when I got the Odyssey.

And I have noticed the shortcomings for highlights too, did not give it that much thought at the time.

It might not be as good a feature as it appears to be - unless you only use it for novels without pictures.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote