nelda2266 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hi from Texas

Hello everyone! Nelda
nelda2266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Hello Nelda. I'm also in Texas -- near to Denton.

I'm don't know how long you've had your Kindle, but I am really pleased with mine. I'm currently reading Emily Climbs which I downloaded from here at MobileRead (thanks to Justy for creating it from the Project Gutenberg files). I also picked up some books from Feedbooks and ManyBooks -- both great places to get copyright free books.

And, I've had so much fun with books purchased from Baen/Webscriptions, Fictionwise, Steve Jordan -- all of which I heard about here on the MobileRead forums. I'm still spending a decent amount of money at Amazon, but it's nice to know that there are alternatives for some of the books that I want to read.

Hang out as much as you want -- MobileRead forums and Wiki are full of great information. And, the people you'll meet are generous with their wisdom and with their time creating and uploading books for the rest of us. If you have questions, ask. someone here will know the answer.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Nelda and welcome to the Forum.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:43 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello nelda2266, how do you like your Kindle?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Greetings Nelda2266.
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2008, 02:15 AM   #6
re_parker
re_parker began at the beginning.

Hi Nelda - I used to be from Texas too - Austin and Houston. Moved to Illinois last July and have made it through our first winter...
re_parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:11 AM   #7
nelda2266

Hello everyone and thanks for the welcome. I've had Kindle for almost a week and I love it! I've only downloaded books from amazon so far. How hard is it to download books from other places?
I live in Abilene, TX and work in the oilfield. I just turned 33, am married and have three dogs. Was born and raised here in Texas and can't imagine spending a winter in Illinois brrrrrr!!!
Old 06-06-2008, 09:24 AM   #8
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Downloading from here is really easy. I would suggest doing the direct transfer from the computer with mobi files, rather than e-mailing them, because the Amazon processing sometimes strips the metadata (author's name and other stuff) from the files. Welcome!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:16 PM   #9
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
From here -- click on the E-Books link in the blue bar above.
Change Format> from ALL to Mobipocket (for your Kindle).
Click on any title that interestes you.
Click on the xyzzy.prc link in the note about the book.
Download to your computer.
Transfer to Kindle via cable -- or put onto an SD card and insert that.

Easy as pie!! Stuff loaded on this forum is usually hand-editted and very nicely formatted.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelda2266 View Post
I've only downloaded books from amazon so far. How hard is it to download books from other places?
In addition to what others said above (d/ling with PC then USB to Kindle) you can also download directly to your Kindle via Whispernet from Feedbooks.com. See their Kindle page for directions on how to do this. It is easy and convenient.

http://feedbooks.com/help/kindle

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:44 PM   #11
nelda2266

Thanks for the help!!!! I'm a little nervous... I just love Kindle and would hate to mess it up! Nelda