Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-04-2018, 02:01 PM   #1
pinchajetas
pinchajetas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
How to recover my clippings file from a Kindle with broken screen

My Kindle Voyage screen has broken and I would like to recover my clippings file in order to get my latest highlights and notes from PDF files. Is there a way to do such a thing?
pinchajetas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:39 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinchajetas View Post
My Kindle Voyage screen has broken and I would like to recover my clippings file in order to get my latest highlights and notes from PDF files. Is there a way to do such a thing?
You should just be able to hook your Kindle up to a computer and navigate to the Documents folder and copy the "My Clippings.txt" file to your computer.

Or, if you registered your Voyage with Amazon, you should be able to do a search for "kindle clippings" and login with your Amazon account to find them.

The link should start with something like ...
https://read.amazon.com/kp/notebook ...

Last edited by rcentros; 05-04-2018 at 03:43 PM.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:51 PM   #3
pinchajetas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
You should just be able to hook your Kindle up to a computer and navigate to the Documents folder and copy the "My Clippings.txt" file to your computer.
Thank you for your response, but I had tried this and doesn't work because the device is frozen. Since the part broken is the e-ink screen and not the touch screen I can't even turn the Kindle on or see the files that it contents connecting it to the computer.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:18 PM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Thank you for your response, but I had tried this and doesn't work because the device is frozen. Since the part broken is the e-ink screen and not the touch screen I can't even turn the Kindle on or see the files that it contents connecting it to the computer.
If the main board is working and only the display system has failed, you should be able to access the files by connecting the Kindle to your computer via USB. The Kindle should appear as an external drive and you can navigate the folders from your computer.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:00 PM   #5
pinchajetas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
If the main board is working and only the display system has failed, you should be able to access the files by connecting the Kindle to your computer via USB. The Kindle should appear as an external drive and you can navigate the folders from your computer.
Thank you for your response, I don't know how deep the damage was, but if that is the case the main board could be damaged too. In that case, is there any hope to get back any file from the Kindle?
Old 05-06-2018, 04:29 AM   #6
font332
Connoisseur
font332 began at the beginning.

Device: kpw2
I am not an expert on this, but I have heard of people with other broken devices, phones, were restoring the data by going to some services and there they re-solder the memory chip from motherboard and solder to the same device or if there is a possibility they connect somehow just the chip with the PC. All this in a case where this chip is no somehow protected and things get even more complicated.
So I guess the question would be how much this data was important because finding such service and the price might be an important matter.

Also did you tried to connect to the PC with some linux os os sth?
When you connect, the charging diod is on?
And did you checked device manager if there is some new position when kindle is connected?
font332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:53 PM   #7
pinchajetas

Quote:
Originally Posted by font332 View Post
I am not an expert on this, but I have heard of people with other broken devices, phones, were restoring the data by going to some services and there they re-solder the memory chip from motherboard and solder to the same device or if there is a possibility they connect somehow just the chip with the PC. All this in a case where this chip is no somehow protected and things get even more complicated.
So I guess the question would be how much this data was important because finding such service and the price might be an important matter.

Also did you tried to connect to the PC with some linux os os sth?
When you connect, the charging diod is on?
And did you checked device manager if there is some new position when kindle is connected?
I don't have any PC with Linux.
And yes, it still turns orange when is charging and green when the battery is full.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:53 AM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I don't have any PC with Linux.
And yes, it still turns orange when is charging and green when the battery is full.
You can create a bootable Linux USB drive fairly easily in Windows using an application called "Rufus." (A bootable USB doesn't change anything on your hard drive.) This is assuming you use Windows. Here's one YouTube video on how to do it. (There are many, many more.)

I'm sure this can be done with a Mac also -- I just wouldn't have a clue where to start (not a Mac owner or user).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS4qZGb0-V4
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:36 AM   #9
pinchajetas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
You can create a bootable Linux USB drive fairly easily in Windows using an application called "Rufus." (A bootable USB doesn't change anything on your hard drive.) This is assuming you use Windows. Here's one YouTube video on how to do it. (There are many, many more.)

I'm sure this can be done with a Mac also -- I just wouldn't have a clue where to start (not a Mac owner or user).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS4qZGb0-V4

Thank you, rcentros, I have just tried it and still no device was detected.

Tags
broken screen, kindle, myclippings, myclippings.txt, voyage