Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 04-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Ivona Text to Speech Beta

If you tried the Ivona TTS beta and receive a message stating the beta has expired, do NOT uninstall the App because doing so appears to render TTS unusable in other Apps (e.g. ezPDF, Cool Reader, Google Translate etc.). This happened to me on two PEs. Instead, either clear the default TTS engine in TTS Service Extended or Clear Defaults under Use by Default using Manage Applications.

The strange thing is that I can still listen to an example in TTS Service Extended but when I try to use the TTS function with an App it either plays nothing or freezes. I reinstalled PICO TTS and TTS Service Extended with no luck. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling an App with no luck.

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I kind of got it fixed. It seems that Ivona updated the language packs. I used ES file Explorer to navigate to the Ivona folder and deleted all the contents of the folder. I then downloaded Ivona HQ and updated language pack from 1Mobile. However, I'm not able to use PICO as the default TTS library. It is stuck on Ivona. Here's the links for the updated HQ and language packs from 1Mobile:

HQ : http://www.1mobile.com/ivona-text-to...hq-350250.html

Kendra English: http://www.1mobile.com/ivona-kendra-...ta-348586.html

Amy UK: http://www.1mobile.com/ivona-amy-uk-...ta-348584.html

Nicole AU: http://www.1mobile.com/ivona-nicole-...ta-348582.html
Old 04-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Don't have any suggestions per se, but I can speak to my experience (which is very limited because I've only "discovered" TTS this month).

I'd been using Svox's Grace and Michael voices alternately, those having replaced the Pico, but ten days ago I stumbled onto Ivona it has replaced the others on both devices. I liked the Kendra voice so much that just yesterday I downloaded their UK voice (Amy) and like it very much as well...just hoping for a male option from Ivona.

I used Svox w/CoolReader, MoonReader, FBReader and Mantano alternating between the male and female voice. I also used Ivona's US voice with all four readers. The only problem I encountered is that I couldn't figure out how to switch between Svox and Ivona on the PE; the Thrive was easy with Settings, but Settings on the PE didn't have that option under Language & Keyboard, which doesn't matter to me because I MUCH prefer the Ivona voice.

Last night, anxious to try the new UK voice I found the only way to change from Kendra to Amy was to freeze Kendra w/Titantium. Last night I listened to two+ chapters of a Faulkner book using CoolReader and a couple of ePub articles from 3Quarks using Mantano w/no problem. I've yet to try changing between the two Ivona voices using the thaw/freeze technique but foresee no problem.

I've got a new PE ready to be "Allmine'd" and will just now install Svox and see if it makes a difference.

Wrote this b/4 I saw your today's post. I intend to try the AU voice...I also like the Australian's accent

Last edited by CharlieBird; 04-22-2012 at 12:10 PM. Reason: correction
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
Don't have any suggestions per se, but I can speak to my experience (which is very limited because I've only "discovered" TTS this month).

I'd been using Svox's Grace and Michael voices alternately, those having replaced the Pico, but ten days ago I stumbled onto Ivona it has replaced the others on both devices. I liked the Kendra voice so much that just yesterday I downloaded their UK voice (Amy) and like it very much as well...just hoping for a male option from Ivona.

I used Svox w/CoolReader, MoonReader, FBReader and Mantano alternating between the male and female voice. I also used Ivona's US voice with all four readers. The only problem I encountered is that I couldn't figure out how to switch between Svox and Ivona on the PE; the Thrive was easy with Settings, but Settings on the PE didn't have that option under Language & Keyboard, which doesn't matter to me because I MUCH prefer the Ivona voice.

Last night, anxious to try the new UK voice I found the only way to change from Kendra to Amy was to freeze Kendra w/Titantium. Last night I listened to two+ chapters of a Faulkner book using CoolReader and a couple of ePub articles from 3Quarks using Mantano w/no problem. I've yet to try changing between the two Ivona voices using the thaw/freeze technique but foresee no problem.

I've got a new PE ready to be "Allmine'd" and will just now install Svox and see if it makes a difference.

Wrote this b/4 I saw your today's post. I intend to try the AU voice...I also like the Australian's accent

Thanks for the reply. There is an App called TTS Service Extended that you can use to manage your TTS libraries. This will quickly allow you to change the default TTS between SVOX and Ivona. I only have one Ivona language pack installed but TTS Service Extended may allow to choose between those as well.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
I just wanted to tell you about the update, but now I saw that you already fixed the problem. For what it is worth, in my case, the default engine is not stuck on Ivona, but I had to de-select ivona and then re-select it after the update before everything worked normally again.

Last edited by fekhner; 04-22-2012 at 02:18 PM.
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fekhner View Post
I just wanted to tell you about the update, but now I saw that you already fixed the problem. For what it is worth, in my case, the default engine is not stuck on Ivona, but I had to de-select ivona and then re-select it after the update before everything worked normally again.
Thanks. The strange part is I can change from Ivona to PICO in TTS Service Extended and I can play a PICO sample in TTS Service Extended but the Apps still use Ivona even after I clear defaults under manage Apps; even after I launch the App and it asks me what App I want to use by default and I choose either TTS Service Extended with PICO selected as the default TTS or even PICO itself.

Last edited by obsessed2; 04-22-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

ok, I have not tested to such extent, in fact ever since I learned about ivona (from you), I was very happy with the quality, so I never felt the need to change back.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fekhner View Post
ok, I have not tested to such extent, in fact ever since I learned about ivona (from you), I was very happy with the quality, so I never felt the need to change back.

I'm happy with Ivona too. I kind of stumbled into the problem by accident when I received a message from Ivona that the trial period for the App has expired and to update using the Android Market. It was then when I tried to change TTS back to PICO with no luck. All I kept getting was the trial period has expired message using TTS in any App. I then tried to uninstall Ivona to see what would happen and PICO TTS didn't work with any App but I was able to play a smaple using TTS Service Extended (TTS library manager) . However, after downloading and installing the latest Ivona, TTS is good with Ivona but won't work with PICO which I think is strange. I even reinstalled PICO witht he same results.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #9
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Thanks for the reply. There is an App called TTS Service Extended that you can use to manage your TTS libraries. This will quickly allow you to change the default TTS between SVOX and Ivona. I only have one Ivona language pack installed but TTS Service Extended may allow to choose between those as well.
obsessed2, I installed TTS Service Extended, but can't figure out how to use it/what it's supposed to do.
Can you post a short tutorial?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
obsessed2, I installed TTS Service Extended, but can't figure out how to use it/what it's supposed to do.
Can you post a short tutorial?

Quote:
The only problem I encountered is that I couldn't figure out how to switch between Svox and Ivona on the PE; the Thrive was easy with Settings, but Settings on the PE didn't have that option under Language & Keyboard...

You can use TTS Service Extended to easily switch between SVOX and Ivona on your PE.

There really isn't much to it. TTS Service Extended is used to manage your TTS libraries. When you open TTS Service Extended you will see a section named Engines. Check the TTS engines you want to manage using TTS Service Extended. You can then use TTS Service Extended Default Engine pull down under Default Settings to easily switch between SVOX or Ivona. Once you choose the Default Engine you can Listen to an example to verify the correct TTS engine is selected.

If Ivona HQ or SVOX is currently your default TTS App you will need to clear the Launch by default for the App by using Settings --> Applications --> Manage Applications. The next time you launch any App that uses TTS you should receive a Complete action using pop up at which point you would choose TTS Service Extended and check Use by default for this action.

Basically TTS Service Extended will be used to switch between SVOX and Ivona, and any App requiring TTS will go through TTS Service Extended and use use the Default TTS Engine selected inside of it.

Last edited by obsessed2; 04-24-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #11
CharlieBird
¿Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
You can use TTS Service Extended to easily switch between SVOX and Ivona on your PE.

There really isn't much to it. TTS Service Extended is used to manage your TTS libraries. When you open TTS Service Extended you will see a section named Engines. Check the TTS engines you want to manage using TTS Service Extended. You can then use TTS Service Extended Default Engine pull down under Default Settings to easily switch between SVOX or Ivona. Once you choose the Default Engine you can Listen to an example to verify the correct TTS engine is selected.

If Ivona HQ or SVOX is currently your default TTS App you will need to clear the Launch by default for the App by using Settings --> Applications --> Manage Applications. The next time you launch any App that uses TTS you should receive a Complete action using pop up at which point you would choose TTS Service Extended and check Use by default for this action.

Basically TTS Service Extended will be used to switch between SVOX and Ivona, and any App requiring TTS will go through TTS Service Extended and use use the Default TTS Engine selected inside of it.
Hmm, I can't get TTS Service to even run on my Thrive (the ol' familiar "stopped unexpectedly"), but I don't really care because I don't like it and am soon to be rid of it.

Followed your outline w/the PE off and on two days now, having run down the battery three times trying different combinations, freezing, thawing, uninstalling w/no success. Completely frustrated and on the last batterny recharge have only Ivona installed (I guess Pico is a must, huh?) since it's my favorite anyway. I'm sure it has something to do w/some of my past tinkering which is just now showing up.

Seriously thinking of a complete new installation trying vldmr's new Allmine. Thanks so much for your input. You are always there for us. It's great.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:53 AM   #12
fekhner
Addict

At some stage, I had the same problem, TTS (and lots of other app) did not install any longer, probably due to excessive tinkering. After doing the Allmine update, all is back to normal and all these apps, including TTS, ivona, run again.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #13
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Hmm, I can't get TTS Service to even run on my Thrive (the ol' familiar "stopped unexpectedly"), but I don't really care because I don't like it and am soon to be rid of it.

Followed your outline w/the PE off and on two days now, having run down the battery three times trying different combinations, freezing, thawing, uninstalling w/no success. Completely frustrated and on the last batterny recharge have only Ivona installed (I guess Pico is a must, huh?) since it's my favorite anyway. I'm sure it has something to do w/some of my past tinkering which is just now showing up.

Seriously thinking of a complete new installation trying vldmr's new Allmine. Thanks so much for your input. You are always there for us. It's great.

I have never had a problem with TTS Service Extended, no battery drainage or device lockups. I had PICO TTS installed long before Ivona came along so the lack of PICO may be causing the problem. You can download PICO directly using your eDGe if so inclined: http://areacellphone.com/2010/01/dow...age-installer/

However, if you are happy with Ivona there really is no need for TTS Service Extended unless you plan to add additional TTS libraries further down the road (e.g. Loquendo Susan) and you want an easy way to switch between those libraries.

Last edited by obsessed2; 04-27-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #14
CharlieBird
¿Huh?

As I said, this TTS thing is all new to me. Planning to do a clean install next week and wondered if PICO was maybe like a system app required to run subsequently installed TTS apps. It seemed to be the case on my PE. Think I remember it being in the Allmine installation.

I am going to give TTS Service Extended another test run on the new install because I'm having a hell of time switching between different Ivona voices.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #15
foxden_vixen
foxden_vixen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
I know this is an old thread, but I am trying to load Ivona on my Kindle Fire. I realize that Amazon bought the company, but what I am trying to do is add the app using Bluestacks, ES File Explorer, and Drop Box. I have moved everything to the Kindle but when I try to install the voices I get "download failed because the resources could not be found. I originally downloaded everything from Google Play to Bluestacks but saw above to use 1Mobile. I cleared the Ivona folder on the Kindle and tried using the above apps. Still have to same problem. I have many e-books that are not Kindle purchased. How can I get this to work without rooting my device? If you need to move this post, I understand.
foxden_vixen is offline   Reply With Quote