Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-17-2021, 12:17 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Holding my Voyage close - And loving it!

Shades of Maxwell Smart. Forget 99! Besides, you're dead and she's old and wrinkly. But not my Kindle Voyage. Technologically, she's old - but she'll never wrinkle. (But I will!) She's as sleek and beautiful as the day I bought her.

My Voyage - ah, such a beautiful screen. So clear, so unblemished. So....perfect!

The battery (I am told), is easy to replace. Almost there, so I'll purchase one when I visit the U.S.A. this Christmas.

My Kindle Voyage: Such a beautiful creature! How magnificent you are!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 12:48 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Funny, how many people have grown passionately fond of their Voyages. I never formed a strong attachment to mine. The lack of adjustable color temperature bothered me (I read in a dimly lit room most of the time, because I can't stand bright lights), 6'' was too small and the ergonomics never felt right. I tried to use it even after I'd bought the Oasis 3, but just couldn't. After I once put my Voyage aside mid-book and continued to read the same book on my Oasis, I decided enough was enough and better sell it than to let it gather dust on the shelf...

Yes, the screen was sharp and clear, but that's just not enough for me.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2021, 01:30 PM   #3
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
I love my Voyage too. I was sad to witness its last firmware update this morning.
The oasis 3 is a great device too, but the Voyage has an incredible screen, is lightweight, pocketable, and I got used to the press sensors.
I love the origami cove too. It’s so easy to pop it in and out thanks to the magnets.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:34 AM   #4
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I still have a voyage as well, but passed it on to my wife. I use an oasis 3 now. I have some slight macular degeneration (CSR) in my right eye and the bit large screen helps. But I too, will replace the battery when it dies, not get rid of the device.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:39 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I still have a voyage as well, but passed it on to my wife. I use an oasis 3 now. I have some slight macular degeneration (CSR) in my right eye and the bit large screen helps. But I too, will replace the battery when it dies, not get rid of the device.
My primary reader is my Oasis 3, but I will often use my Voyage when I go out and about, watching Peruvians with cell phones glued to their hands and mouths - their custom is to hold the cell phone in front of their mouth and speak directly into the microphone, and then switch it back to their ear when listening - while I contentedly sip my cappuccino and read, enjoying the now sunny days and remembering the occasion when one woman in her mid-50s walked butt naked down the sidewalk to (apparently) no one's surprise.

Such contentment: A cappuccino, a sunny day (with a light breeze drifting in from the ocean), an ebook reader, and an interesting story about killer clowns or narcissistic dolls.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-18-2021 at 12:57 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2021, 12:31 PM   #6
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Funny, how many people have grown passionately fond of their Voyages. I never formed a strong attachment to mine. The lack of adjustable color temperature bothered me (I read in a dimly lit room most of the time, because I can't stand bright lights), 6'' was too small and the ergonomics never felt right. I tried to use it even after I'd bought the Oasis 3, but just couldn't. After I once put my Voyage aside mid-book and continued to read the same book on my Oasis, I decided enough was enough and better sell it than to let it gather dust on the shelf...

Yes, the screen was sharp and clear, but that's just not enough for me.

I loved the way Voyage fit in my hand. But screen was too small and too cold in color. When I got my Oasis 2, the screen was just as sharp as the Voyage and a warmer tone, even lacking colored front lighting. The Oasis 2 was less pleasant to hold, but far more pleasant to my eyes!

My Voyage did not have great battery life, so it was a no-brainer to sell it on and no regrets.

But I wouldn't mind AT ALL if Amazon made an 8" Voyage version with color front light....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 01:39 PM   #7
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
My mom's Voyage apparently developed "expanding battery" syndrome. My nephew took it and stored it in a bucket of sand. I wish he had taken photos; I'd have called Amazon. Oh well.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:07 PM   #8
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
newpower99 dot com shows 16 batteries for the voyage. how would i know which one to select?
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:49 PM   #9
Canis_lupus
Enthusiast
Canis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmosCanis_lupus has become one with the cosmos

Device: K2, K3, Touch, K5B, Voyage, PW4, Oasis 1, 2 & 3, PW5
Love the Voyage for the reasons already stated: lightweight and portable, dark text, and the page press sensors.

I wish it had the warm lighting and waterproofing that came later.
Canis_lupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:52 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
newpower99 dot com shows 16 batteries for the voyage. how would i know which one to select?
If you live in the U.S. you can save about $27 (cost plus postage) by buying from these folks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30370093531...oAAOSwOGdfafhU

They've got a good reputation and I've done business with them a couple times.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:35 AM   #11
pgilster
Connoisseur
pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Forma; Kindle Oasis 3
At some point, my old Voyage is going to need a new battery. Is this really a fairly simple operation? Would love to hear from anyone who has done it -- better to send it off somewhere to have it done? Thanks for any opinions.
pgilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:16 PM   #12
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilster View Post
At some point, my old Voyage is going to need a new battery. Is this really a fairly simple operation? Would love to hear from anyone who has done it -- better to send it off somewhere to have it done? Thanks for any opinions.
You can watch this video and decide if it's something you want to tackle

https://youtu.be/zFqBrIE4mT0
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:42 PM   #13
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Marvelous video - that looks manageable!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:24 AM   #14
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
I've replaced a Voyage battery and it is quite a bit more fiddly than that Youtube video suggests. There's glue under the shiny back plate which is a bitch to remove and you need to be careful you don't snap off the thin plastic clips that hold it in place.

The battery is also very well stuck down. I'd use a credit card when you get to that stage.

As for the Voyage itself...agree with above comments. I actually prefer a small form factor reader. With the origami case I can actually slip it in my jean pocket. Portability = more reading which for me is the main point.

The screen is also sublime and I don't think Amazon have equalled or bettered it yet, even with the Oasis. Perversely, and despite a huge premium, the Oasis line lacks the micro etched glass the Voyage has, and is therefore prone to more reflections. Warm light is a gimmick in my opinion. I used it on my smartphone where it makes sense but Kindle's all use ambient side lighting so for me there is no 'bright' lights when reading at night. It's essentially down to the aesthetic...do you prefer a shade of blue or orange.

I also prefer the Voyage page turn haptics. I frequently swap my hands when reading and having to rotate the unit to hold it properly and use the page turn buttons, like the Oasis, is an annoying inconvenience. Not an issue with the Voyage as the haptics are mirrored on both sides.

For me the Voyage improves upon the next best e-reader Amazon ever released...the Kindle 3 graphite.

Last edited by max99; 10-20-2021 at 08:30 AM.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 11:28 AM   #15
troubledMan
Connoisseur
troubledMan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Voyage
Long story short: I had to return my Oasis 3 (bought Jan 2020 - returned Aug 2020) because of a (quite rare) faulty screen. So I had to take my old Voyage and gladly rediscovered how easy is to read on it, in terms of form factor, sharpness, uniform light, mirrored haptic controls, battery life (yes, that after all these years)...

I am very happy to have a Voyage, specially these days of new models, both Kobo & Kindle, that don't trigger my enthusiasm to renew my e-reader.

Long life to my Voyage!
troubledMan is offline   Reply With Quote