Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-22-2021, 03:09 PM   #1
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Naval historical fiction series

Here are the ones that I've either started and abandonded or finished or am in progress on: Horatio Hornblower by C. S. Forester, Lt. Peter Harding series by Antony Melville-Ross, Lord Ramage by Dudley Pope, Commander Shaw by Philip McCutchan, Halfhyde by Philip McCutchan, Cameron by Philip McCutchan, Tom Chatto by Philip McCutchan, and Alan Lewrie by Dewie Lambdin

The ones that I've enjoyed and finished are Hornblower, Lt. Peter Harding, and Tom Chatto. The Hornblower series is what got me started on this genre (Canadians can download them from Faded Page). At the moment I'm reading the first of the Alan Lewrie series and really loving it; funny and engaging.

FantasticFiction.com has a see also section at the bottom of the book pages which should keep me going for a while.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 03:33 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
You don’t mention the greatest of all Royal Navy/Napoleonic Wars series, the Aubrey/Maturin books by Patrick O’Brian. A must read for any fan of the genre.

I liked the Hornblower books well enough, but I preferred the ones earlier in the chronology that were written later. There’s also a good series by Alexander Kent, the Bolitho series. However, I abandoned the first Lewrie book; I couldn’t get into that at all. IIRC, I thought it was sensational for the sake of being sensational.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2021, 04:29 PM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
The undoubted best series is the Aubrey/Maturin series from Patrick O'Brian. The Alexander Kent (real name Douglas Reeman) Bolitho books are also pretty good, though I don't think up to the level of O'Brian's.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:13 PM   #4
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Bolitho lacks the charm of Aubrey/Maturin, but in its place you get a much better sense of how these ships functioned, and a master class in military leadership. Reeman conveys the valor and dignity of the common sailors, who are sometimes reduced to doltish comic relief by other authors.

If you want the same flavor in a different venue, check out Allan Mallinson's Matthew Hervey novels. Hervey commands British Light Dragoons, but he and Bolitho would get along famously.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:05 PM   #5
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
If you want the same flavor in a different venue, check out Allan Mallinson's Matthew Hervey novels. Hervey commands British Light Dragoons,
I would have tried the first one of the series but none of them are available as ebooks.
Advert
Old 09-23-2021, 05:22 AM   #6
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I would have tried the first one of the series but none of them are available as ebooks.
I see the Kindle books start with the fourth in the series. Very odd.

Looks like Kobo is the same. I can't fathom that approach.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 01:23 PM   #7
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:

Thanks, you're right. Not sure where I was yesterday.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:24 PM   #8
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
At the moment I'm reading the first of the Alan Lewrie series and really loving it; funny and engaging.
I'm on the 3rd book and still loving it. In this book the captain of the ship loves cats and the ship is overrun with them.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:46 AM   #9
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:

All 14 ? Are available from Amazon.uk

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0013TX9QY
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 01:18 PM   #10
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
I'm on the 3rd book and still loving it. In this book the captain of the ship loves cats and the ship is overrun with them.
I take this back. The series is flagging as I've gotten further into it.

On the other hand I did finish and enjoy the entire Nathaniel Drinkwater series.
Old 12-07-2021, 01:35 PM   #11
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
A while back I picked up some of P. T. Deutermann's WWII Navy series. They are still in my "to be read" collection, I haven't gotten to them yet. The cover art grabbed me, but I have no idea if the books are any good or not.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:22 PM   #12
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
A while back I picked up some of P. T. Deutermann's WWII Navy series. They are still in my "to be read" collection, I haven't gotten to them yet. The cover art grabbed me, but I have no idea if the books are any good or not.
They are some of the best WWII Historical Fiction books I have read.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 11:10 AM   #13
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
I had not heard of some of these series. I will have to try them out.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote