Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-19-2021, 10:06 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Or printed?
I've see paper, physical and printed all used for the p in pbook. At one time, Don Lancaster used pbook to refer to printed on demand books (I guess it was better than podbook. Podbooks for podpeople <snicker>).

Last edited by DNSB; 09-19-2021 at 10:09 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:51 AM   #17
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
My apologies! I don't have a quartz subscription or a free trial, and have no idea why it allowed me to read the whole thing after an "accept cookies" notice.
It's fine, no apology is needed. When I tried it later it worked fine. Sometimes Quartz comes up asking for login other times it doesn't.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2021, 02:47 PM   #18
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Oh, and is the "p" in "pBook" paper or physical?
The P is silent, as in pshrimp.

[A nod to PGW.]
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:05 PM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
But there will be a shortage of bits used by every eBook
Darn it! I was going to make the same joke!
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 03:49 AM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitford13 View Post
Hitting vinyl as well. Amazing come back, there, though.

https://www.newstatesman.com/culture...W3l6bFjzLTAXKg
I can never decide if the rise of vinyl is the funniest thing that has happened recently, or the stupidest. It's probably both.

When I changed from vinyl to CDs, I did miss the covers. But, not the space taken, pain of putting them on or the noise inherent in the format.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2021, 05:47 AM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I can never decide if the rise of vinyl is the funniest thing that has happened recently, or the stupidest. It's probably both.

When I changed from vinyl to CDs, I did miss the covers. But, not the space taken, pain of putting them on or the noise inherent in the format.
Also wow, rumble, scratches, frequency response degrades with number of playings, dynamic range as well as noise. Having to flip a classic work in the middle.

Here the supermarket has nearly as much shelf space for vinyl as CD and most of the vinyl titles are on CD on the next bay at half the price.

It’s fashion and exploitation. Also the suitcase style players on sale with 33, 45 & 78 have no 78 stylus and worse performance than many 1958 to 1965 cheap record players; partly due to tiny tinny speakers barely better than laptop speakers. I have tested one of these current players. I also have two HiFi players with magnetic cartridges; those modern suitcase players have too short an arm and ceramic cartridges. I also have a 1935, three 1950s models and two 1960s models, one a plastic cased transistor portable that has a better turntable than the new ones, but a similar quality cartridge that has a flip over pair of stylii for 78 and 45/33. There are actually some pre 1949 33 discs going back to 1931 that need the 78 stylus, but rare.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:37 AM   #22
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The first time I heard that vinyl was making a comeback my first response was why. Quoth hit all of the points perfectly. In the mid '70s I bought a linearly tracking turntable to reduce the wear on my albums. It also had controls that allowed you to precisely place the arm where you wanted it. No accidentally dropping or sliding the needle across the grooves. It is a great turntable and I still have it. Would I buy vinyl and use it again. Not no but hell no.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:56 AM   #23
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'd guess audiophiles have a fetish for using a demonstrably worse format and insisting it's totally better.

There might be cases where you could argue the vinyl actually sounds better, but that's because the CD master is so compressed to hell and back that it's incompatible with the physical limitations of vinyl
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:46 AM   #24
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Even cassettes are making a comeback. Oddly the only real use case you can justify is audiobooks as unlike a Vinyl 16 rpm or CD (or mp3 storage moved to a different device) they "remember" location and the S/N, wow, flutter and 40 Hz to 10 kHz is more than good enough for ordinary narration. Less space than CDs or 16 rpm. A Talking book on 78s took up a lot of space. Hungary (or somewhere there) had live audio plays on the phone system before radio was invented.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:49 AM   #25
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Also the suitcase style players on sale with 33, 45 & 78...
How am I supposed to play my 16" 16-2/3 RPM records?

Ok, I don't actually own any, but I have played them before on a QRK turntable at 33-1/3, dubbing them to tape to playback at half speed.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:06 PM   #26
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
How am I supposed to play my 16" 16-2/3 RPM records?
I use Audacity to capture and/or edit audio.
SD card recorders, cassette or disc.

I only ever saw lingaphone courses on the 16 rpm approx, but apparently they were used for talking books for the blind before tape. They RNIB did have some sort of custom tape cartridge (not Lear jet 8 track which can't be fast wound or rewound) before they used Philips Compact Cassettes (released in 1962, before the 8-track was released!). RCA in 1958 and later Sony (Elcaset) both had 1/4" dual reel tape cassettes that were market failures.

Last edited by Quoth; 09-21-2021 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:51 PM   #27
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
One difference between vinyl and digital is that the latter tends to be re-mastered for constant volume (first useful in bars and clubs, and then for listening via earbuds outside where it is noisy). LPs are mastered with a greater range in volume, which is nice when you want the quiet parts to sound quiet. So, it's not just about retro-hipness.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:46 PM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
One difference between vinyl and digital is that the latter tends to be re-mastered for constant volume (first useful in bars and clubs, and then for listening via earbuds outside where it is noisy). LPs are mastered with a greater range in volume, which is nice when you want the quiet parts to sound quiet. So, it's not just about retro-hipness.
Depends TOTALLY on the content, the studio and when. You can't have much range in vinyl volume without a looser spiral and less playing time so as louder bit are louder. You can't make the quieter bits softer. A 7" 45 rpm could have 8 to 11 minutes on one side, but it's under four, because singles were originally about the same playing time as 78s and also to give both more dynamic range and make them play louder than a 33. The outer edge of a 33 is faster than the outer of a 45!

"LPs are mastered with a greater range in volume" Not true for 33 rpm 12" LPs. Oddly it was true for 45s singles of 3 to 4 minutes. It is true that most Radio stations have the Optimod turned up too high and that certain categories of pop music have similar "sound loud" mixes that are awful.

And if a CD has not been remixed recently then assuredly it will have more range than the LP mastered in the same era. Mostly they just do pressings from existing masters. Costs money to remix and remaster!
Old 09-22-2021, 10:50 PM   #29
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I think you've got the wrong end of the stick with respect to volume range. I'm not saying that LPs allow higher volume than CDs. What I'm saying is that CDs are mixed to have the quiet parts loud, too, so that you can always hear everything in a loud environment. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war for what I'm talking about. It looks like there has been some pushback in recent years, so not everyone is mixing their digital music for maximum loudness.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 03:04 AM   #30
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I'd guess audiophiles have a fetish for using a demonstrably worse format and insisting it's totally better.
Like valve amplifiers? Although you could argue that's more 'different' than 'worse', perhaps. Valves and transistors both have their own unique way of mangling your audio output
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote