Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-08-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
Mitchll
Cave Dweller
Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ipad Sony reader prs-505 prs-900
version 112

Downloaded 112 but no changelog. Is it just a fix of 111?

Mitch
Mitchll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:33 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yeah it only fixes a regression introduced in 111
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2008, 09:51 AM   #3
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
I don’t think I will ever run calibre again while my 505 is attached to the computer.

The 505 will hang, sometimes requiring a hard reset and taking a long time to reboot. I have no trouble using calibre, transferring the news to the Library and from the Library to the 505. Going directly from calibre to the 505 always causes me problems.

Also the recipe for the Jerusalem Post seems broken.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:30 PM   #4
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
Some of the feeds may crash my 505 and 700, but it's not a Calibre problem. It will affect your connected reader only if you select to move downloaded news to the reader automatically. Turn this option off and Calibre won't do anything to the reader.

I have my local news (thanks to kiklop74), it's a small file, and it almost always crashes the reader if transfered directly from Calibre. On the other hand, built-in NYTimes, which is much bigger with many more links, always works fine.
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:44 PM   #5
duckbill
Enthusiast
duckbill began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
112 crashes on start with Vista. Tried reboot, fresh install - no luck. Had to revert to 109, which runs flawlessly.

Excellent application, would love todonate something, but I stay clear of PayPal.

Duckbill
duckbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
CaptOzone
CaptOzone began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Wish I'd kept a version of 0.4.106 for my 64 bit ubuntu - I'm dead in the water until the SD storage card problem is sorted out!
CaptOzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:55 PM   #7
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Whats a regression?
I just reconverted all my books with 4.112 to correct the epub issues.
Should I redo it all again?
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

a regression is a feature that used to work and has stopped working. The regression was a bug a in the config dialog, didn't affect conversions.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:10 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckbill View Post
112 crashes on start with Vista. Tried reboot, fresh install - no luck. Had to revert to 109, which runs flawlessly.

Excellent application, would love todonate something, but I stay clear of PayPal.

Duckbill
There's an entry in the FAQ that tells you what to do when calibre doesn't start on windows.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:03 PM   #10
duckbill
Enthusiast

I tried all solutions. The only that worked was:
"... try deleting the folder you chose for your ebooks and restarting calibre."

So, I renamed the folder for backup purposes (I gather this is only location where actual files are saved) abd restarted Calibre. Bingo, it works however, when I add books, all previously stored data (covers, isbns, tag ets are lost). When trying to rename the metadata.db file and using the old file calibre crashes.

Any way of retrieving the original metadata?

UPDATE:

I have uninstalled version 112, renamed metadata.db back to initial file, installed version 109 and now have all metadata in place and it works fine. I have been using Calibre since version calibre-0.4.99 and only experienced problems with version 112.

Is this a version 112 specific problem?

Last edited by duckbill; 12-09-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:16 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm run the calibre-debug command listed in the FAQ and post the output here (with the original library folder)
Old 12-09-2008, 03:32 PM   #12
duckbill
Enthusiast

If I run the command line: calibre-debug -c "from calibre.gui2.main import main; main()" from the command prompt, I do not get a result.

Even if this would worI am not sure whether this would be helpful as I can only get version 109 to work (version 112 crashes after approx two secs).

Should I not just wait for the next version?

By the way, any other way of donating to the development without using paypal?
Old 12-09-2008, 04:00 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Run it with 112, in which case you should get some output. That output will help me figure out why its crashing. Unless I can figure that out, the next release wont fix the problem

You could always mail me a cheque, PM me and I'll give you my address. Note that you don't have to have a PayPal account to donate, you can just use a credit card.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #14
duckbill
Enthusiast

This is the output from debug running version 112:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Julian>calibre-debug -c "from calibre.gui2.main import main; main()"
link hasn't been detected!
link hasn't been detected!
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "debug.py", line 96, in <module>
File "debug.py", line 80, in main
File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 1423, i
n main
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 294, in
__init__
File "calibre\gui2\tags.pyo", line 23, in set_database
File "calibre\gui2\tags.pyo", line 50, in __init__
File "calibre\gui2\tags.pyo", line 65, in refresh
File "calibre\library\database2.pyo", line 760, in get_categories
ValueError: list.remove(x): x not in list
Old 12-09-2008, 05:13 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Will be fixed in next release