Notices

Old 07-19-2020, 01:54 PM   #31
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur
Winkelschraube began at the beginning.

Device: The (orly) amazing Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
I don't have it installed, but it should work. Any Android 4.4 compatible app can be installed. (Obviously, you have to access Android first).
But I have to do that to install KOReader as an apk file? With F-Droid it would get the updates, or does KOReader Android have an internal updater?

Is there a plan how long such ancient Android versions (4.4 is from 2013) should be supported?
Winkelschraube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 02:38 PM   #32
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkelschraube View Post
But I have to do that to install KOReader as an apk file? With F-Droid it would get the updates, or does KOReader Android have an internal updater?
Both have updates. The Fdroid packages are only from the "stable" channel (released monthly). The packages on github/koreader.rocks have both "stable" and "nightlies".

Fdroid installation is a bit friendlier as you won't be prompted about your device arch (hint: is arm 99% of the time).

Quote:
Is there a plan how long such ancient Android versions (4.4 is from 2013) should be supported?
There's no reason for KOReader to drop support for legacy android versions. The same should apply to other apps outside the play store, like Fdroid, but I have no idea of their plans.

The only reason KOReader is not available on 2.3 is because google emulators are broken.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2020, 02:42 PM   #33
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Until Google makes it too much effort to do so, although depending on how they do that a kind of legacy version could potentially make sense.

There's a built-in update functionality of sorts, but it only starts the download using the downloader built into Android. You have to take care of the rest yourself. F-Droid should be slightly easier as long as you're fine sticking to stables only.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:45 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Crazy idea...: Maybe replace the battery of the PW by a smaller one to save weight. Charging once a week is not bad for me.
iMHO, bad idea.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:02 AM   #35
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
iMHO, bad idea.
Why that? Because of the safety?
Advert
Old 07-22-2020, 01:24 AM   #36
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur

JSWolf: As far as I see it on ifixit, the PW2 battery is a simple 3.7V Li-ion pack. Please tell me why this is a bad idea. Maybe I'm missing something here.

I'm not really thinking about changing the battery right now, I'm just thinking about it. https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07J4TRBNQ/
Old 07-22-2020, 04:39 AM   #37
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
If weight is important to you, just do it. But keep in mind, that there is a chance, that you destroy the PW in the process. You also have to make sure that the new battery stays in place, otherwise it could damage the device from the inside.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:34 PM   #38
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
IIRC, Kindles do a battery origin check.

(i.e., non-standard batteries with the wrong chip won't boot).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:34 AM   #39
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur

Helllloooooo NiLuJe.

I find different information. According to ifixit the battery of PW1 should have a I2C interface with four contacts (+, -, sda, scl). The PW2 has only one thermistor with three contacts (+, -, T).

At I2C there is a (maybe complex) conversation between Kindle and battery. At the thermistor it is only a temperature monitoring. It's probably only charged according to the voltage, and even smaller batteries will fit. The charging current is regulated by the temperature.

Do you know where to find pictures? Do you know if somebody has disassembled a PW2 in this forum and posted the pictures?

https://de.ifixit.com/Store/Amazon-K.../IF295-003?o=1

https://de.ifixit.com/Store/Amazon-K.../IF295-004?o=1
Old 07-26-2020, 06:15 AM   #40
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur

Exclamation

I disassembled my PW2 yesterday. The device itself with battery weighs 142g, the battery alone weighs 32g. The case weighs 63g, that surprised me very much!

The battery is a special shape. It is very flat under 4mm thick. I can't find a cheap battery for this. Also most 600mAh batteries weigh about 17-18g. So the weight saving is not as big as I thought.

The Kindle boots powered from a PSU without third contact.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:52 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If weight is so important, the PW2 weighs 209g.

But for KOReader, you can get a Kobo Clara HD that weighs 166g.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:44 PM   #42
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur

Smile

My PW2 weights 205g!

But it's not enough. If I want to change from PW2, the difference must be greater. It should be under 150g by now, better <100g. The Boox Poke 2 would be ideal (is very expensive), but it has no light sensor to adjust the brightness automatically.

Last edited by Winkelschraube; 07-26-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:49 PM   #43
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur

At pazos and cellaris: Does Onyx regularly deliver the monthly Android security updates from Google for the Poke 2? Is there a statement how long the support should be provided?
Old 07-26-2020, 02:31 PM   #44
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Winkelschraube: That would imply it's actually running a non-prehistoric Android version.

That's generally not the case, eInk Android devices are stuck around Android 4.4/5/6 because Android is the worst.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 03:08 PM   #45
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur

Exclamation

The Poke 2 is on Android 9.

Edit: You're basically right. Most Android devices are bad in terms of updates and not suitable for long term use when network is involved...

Last edited by Winkelschraube; 07-26-2020 at 03:13 PM.