Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 06-28-2007, 10:21 AM   #16
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
Quote:
Originally Posted by henkvdg View Post
Could I help?

Do you mean this one: http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext97/cpogs10.txt

Yup, that's the one...

I've even considered looking into buying a nice version of this from Fictionwise or Mobipocket, but I really can't bring myself to pay for a public domain title - even if it's nicely formatted and laid out....
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 04:10 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GreatGonzo View Post

I've even considered looking into buying a nice version of this from Fictionwise or Mobipocket, but I really can't bring myself to pay for a public domain title - even if it's nicely formatted and laid out....
So what are you saying? That you're happy for us to spend hours creating nice versions of these books for you to download free of charge, but you're unwilling to pay for the results of such labour?

Presumably, by extension, you'd also never pay for printed versions of out-of-copyright authors, either?

Sorry - I don't mean to be rude, but those of us who create books put a great deal of time and effort into it, and it would be nice to think that all that work is perceived as having at least some value.

Why not have a go at creating a nice Mobi version of the book you mentioned yourself, using "Book Designer"? Might give you an appreciation of how much work we put into creating all these book that are available for download .

Personally I'd be more than happy to pay for a nice version of an out-of-copyright book, because I know just how much effort it takes to change the raw text PG original into a nice book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2007, 05:53 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GreatGonzo View Post
Yup, that's the one...

I have a feeling you will either need to purchase the printed edition, or do the conversion yourself. That one would be a tough conversion. I did have a look and it's going to be not easy to do. If there was an HTML version, then maybe it would not be as hard to deal with.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:26 PM   #19
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
So what are you saying? That you're happy for us to spend hours creating nice versions of these books for you to download free of charge, but you're unwilling to pay for the results of such labour?
Nope. The question was, what titles would people like to see available, and that's the question I answered. If you would rather sell the e-book editions that you create, then don't make them available for free. I'm not entirely clear on why I'm being yelled at here. Somebody asked, I answered.

Quote:
Presumably, by extension, you'd also never pay for printed versions of out-of-copyright authors, either?
Not anymore, no. That's the whole point of out-of-copyright and e-books and Project Gutenberg.

Quote:
Sorry - I don't mean to be rude, but those of us who create books put a great deal of time and effort into it, and it would be nice to think that all that work is perceived as having at least some value.
In no way did I mean to diminish the work and time you put in creating these.
I just don't feel like paying any kind of professional publisher for an out-of-copyright work, no matter how nicely it's put together. A private person, somebody who does it on the side, even as a hobby - different matter altogether. There could conceivably be donations, a Paypal reimbursement scheme of sorts - sure, why not. I'm not at all opposed to that.

Quote:
Why not have a go at creating a nice Mobi version of the book you mentioned yourself, using "Book Designer"? Might give you an appreciation of how much work we put into creating all these book that are available for download .
I would, if my precious spare time wasn't totally taken up with trying to put together a complete volume of Lovecraft which, by the way, I would love to upload once it's done, were it not for the fact that I'm mightily confused about his copyright status in the US. And that's just without the illustrations.

Hope this clears thing up.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:37 PM   #20
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I did have a look and it's going to be not easy to do. If there was an HTML version, then maybe it would not be as hard to deal with.
Oh, I know - I looked into it before I asked if somebody else felt like doing it.
I converted it from A to B to C and back ... looked awful and useless every time.
I was kinda hoping somebody you knew a fast and efficient way to do it that I wasn't aware of.

BUt as far as I can see now, the best way to do it would be to edit and re-format it as an RTF or DOC file, page by page - in which case you might want to start thinking about including Gilbert's illustrations. Then put in bookmarks and TOC. But like I said in another post, I just don't have the time right now. Sadly.

If nobody has done one by the time I get around to it and if there's interest, I will gladly give it a shot myself.
Advert
Old 08-10-2007, 12:35 PM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If anyone wants any of my Reader books in MobiPocket format, just say and I'll happily do the conversion. Genuine requests, please, rather than "convert everything" .
Old 08-10-2007, 01:18 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If anyone wants any of my Reader books in MobiPocket format, just say and I'll happily do the conversion. Genuine requests, please, rather than "convert everything" .
Why not convert it all? It's not that hard to do really. Just skip any not made using Book Designer.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:43 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I will do them all, over time, but I'm not going to do them all in one go . Just wanted to do any "requests" first.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:20 PM   #24
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
I will do them all, over time, but I'm not going to do them all in one go . Just wanted to do any "requests" first.
Like Harry will do, I plan to do all that were done in BookDesigner; but over time. Requests will be done first.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:40 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I shall also be doing all I have done in Book Designer. Any new books I post that are done with BD will be posted in both formats. But, the html2lrf books, are a no go unless someone can come up with an LRS to Mobi converter.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:13 AM   #26
Rhayader
Rhayader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Hi to all, I'm kind of new here. I've discovered this forum because of the Edgar Wallace titles selection, which I collect for many years now.
Any chances of uploading more of his books? Specificaly, I was looking for The Big Foot (1927), The Strange Countess (1925), The Avenger (1926), The Day of Uniting (1926) and The Three Oak Mystery (1924) , but any addition would be great.

Thank you in advance.
Rhayader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:17 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhayader View Post
Hi to all, I'm kind of new here. I've discovered this forum because of the Edgar Wallace titles selection, which I collect for many years now.
Any chances of uploading more of his books? Specificaly, I was looking for The Big Foot (1927), The Strange Countess (1925), The Avenger (1926), The Day of Uniting (1926) and The Three Oak Mystery (1924) , but any addition would be great.

Thank you in advance.
Welcome to MobileRead.

if you can find use freely available public domain sources for these books, we'll be happy to get them converted for you. I looked on PG and only three titles are available.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:39 PM   #28
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhayader View Post

Thank you in advance.
The Avenger, at least, is available in text format here: http://gutenberg.net.au/plusfifty-n-z.html, as are an assortment of other Edgar Wallace texts. It appears more are being added.

Wallace is public domain in Australia.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:36 AM   #29
wmaurer
Enthusiast
wmaurer doesn't litterwmaurer doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HTC Desire
Hello. May I humbly make a request? I'd love to read Tolstoy's Anna Karenina and War And Peace on my Cybook.

-Wayne
wmaurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:51 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You can go ahead and do so. They are both available from http://www.manybooks.net