Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: What % of books did you put on Kobo yourself (ie not from Kobo Store or Overdrive)?
1-09 3 3.57%
10-19 2 2.38%
20-29 1 1.19%
30-39 0 0%
40-49 1 1.19%
50-59 1 1.19%
60-69 0 0%
70-79 2 2.38%
80-89 5 5.95%
90-100 69 82.14%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2021, 03:40 PM   #1
zenji
LivresInOz
zenji shares his or her toyszenji shares his or her toyszenji shares his or her toyszenji shares his or her toyszenji shares his or her toyszenji shares his or her toyszenji shares his or her toyszenji shares his or her toyszenji shares his or her toyszenji shares his or her toyszenji shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Galaxy TAB A7
POLL (simpified) What % of books did you put on Kobo yourself (sideloaded)?

IE

All your books apart from those you:
- got from the Kobo outlet, for free or by payment
- borrowed from Overdrive

__________________________________________________ __
Perhaps also someone can tell me whether the following classes of books retain or lose their connection to collections/bookshelves after signing in and out of the Kobo:
- books borrowed from Overdrive
- books got from repositories such as Gutenberg by directly downloading to the device (OPDS)
- any other relevant categories of books

The information you give will be interesting because it will give an indication of what proportion of the books people have on their device retaintheir connection with their collections/bookshelves after the user signs out and back in, and what proportion losethat connection.

(Currently, signing out and back in requires the user to re-allocate a bunch of books back into their proper collections/shelves - either manually or setting up Calibre to do it. Most importantly, any books they sideloaded themselves).

How many books are involved, might be useful for Kobo to know about.

...As well as providing other interesting/useful info!

Last edited by zenji; 09-19-2021 at 03:55 PM.
zenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:35 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
I have bought a couple of books from Kobo, but even so I downloaded 'em with ADE and sideloaded them from Calibre.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:37 PM   #3
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
One of the reasons I bought a Kobo was because it was easy to bypass registration with the Kobo Store. I side load all my books with calibre.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:01 PM   #4
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Since my Kobo is not connected to the internet it's 100% for me
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:02 AM   #5
wroane
wroane began at the beginning.

Device: First 3 Kindles, H2O, Last 3 years Kobo Aura One
99.99% of 1349 books

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
wroane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:07 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wroane View Post
99.99% of 1349 books

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
So you have one book that is partially sideloaded?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:22 AM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
I picked the answer that applies to my Aura One, my most-used reader, but it varies across them. My Glo HD is virtually all downloaded from Kobo, but my Glo is all sideloaded. It depends. My Aura One’s about half-and-half.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 02:53 PM   #8
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
The only books I haven't sideloaded onto mine are the KoboPlus ones, because they are loans unless purchased. That's about 98-99 %. Everything else, regardless where purchased or gotten as freebies, goes thru Calibre. Best way I can keep track of everything, as well as cleaning and backing up everything I've bought.
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:59 PM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O2, iPadMini4, MBP; support AuraHD,Kindle,KAura
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenji View Post
I

...As well as providing other interesting/useful info!
I don't want Kobo to collect information on my sideloaded books in order for them to manage the collections. I'm more than happy to manage them myself with Calibre. Reloading after a signout/signin is quick and painless.

In addition, the sample of users in this forum is likely to be wildly skewed and the data useless to them.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:47 AM   #10
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O; RealMe X2 Pro
Quote:
IE

Nope. It's NOKDB how many of my books are sideloaded or where I got them from, and that includes the nearly 200 books I've bought from Kobo in the last 3 years, all of which ended up being sideloaded after downloading and stripping the DRM. All Hail Calibre and the Apprentice
Uncle Robin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:56 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I didn't notice this until others commented on it. Unless you have turned off the data sharing, Kobo will know how many books you have on the device and whether they are sideloaded or not. They will also have other stats about them, but, shouldn't have details such as titles.

And as a couple of others have commented, any stats you get from the denizens of MR are pretty useless for suggesting wider trends. We don't do things the same way as most users. We are not the target market of Kobo, Amazon or any other ereader manufacturer.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 10:51 PM   #12
Bembo
Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
The biggest feature of the Kobo is to be able to sideload nearly every file type, so yes, that's my main function. I rarely get books from elsewhere -- even Overdrive books I import into Calibre first, so that I can have them on my device...
Bembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 11:13 AM   #13
ownedbycats
Wizard
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I have 793 books on my Kobo. 95 of those are from the Kobo Store. 698 of them are sideloaded.

503 of those 698 sideloads are fanfics. The other 195 are books acquired from various other free or paid sources.

I also have 26 books I've borrowed from Overdrive (I keep records of those in my Calibre library) but none currently on my device.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-02-2021 at 01:05 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote