Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-06-2021, 08:53 PM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Nook upgrade 53.0.112 & 53.0.113

My Nook Glowlight 3 and Glowlight Plus (6") have been upgraded to 53.0.112 and 53.0.113 respectively (all other upgrade numbers are the same on both). It looks like they've now added time left to end of the chapter and end of the book to their footer choices (unless this was already there and I didn't realize it). They've also done something to separate out books with your own annotations. (Something I don't use.) Still a big jump in steps between fonts sizes (in the usable area), which was the main reason I upgraded, hoping that they had improved that.

EDIT: I sent a feature request to B&N, which I'm guessing will be ignored.

EDIT 2: Got this generic response...

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to communicate your concerns with us.

Rest assured that your feedback regarding the range in the font sizes of the NOOK device got forwarded to our management team.
We'll see. I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited by rcentros; 09-10-2021 at 06:31 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:19 PM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Yes, I noticed the 53.0.112 upgrade.
It upgraded the Adobe RMSDK (the rendering engine) to 9.3.1.433
I'm not sure what, if anything, has improved.

Font size steps should be small enough that you get what you want and big enough that you can notice the difference.

Some publishers are very heavy handed with CSS.
I'm sure you've noticed that you open a book from one publisher and suddenly the font size is larger or smaller than what you normally see.
Even on DRM books (without decrypting) you have the "nuclear option".
Unzip the epub, delete all CSS, rezip.
I have a Windows utility called "unduke.exe" which does this in one step.
You can guess which publisher I hate the most.

I don't annotate or care how long to chapter end anyway.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:08 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
My Nook Glowlight 3 and Glowlight Plus (6") have been upgraded to 53.0.112 and 53.0.113 respectively (all other upgrade numbers are the same on both).
Boy, I'm glad you check occasionally. I always leave WiFi off on my Nooks and assume whatever update is the last.

Quote:
EDIT: I sent a feature request to B&N, which I'm guessing will be ignored.
I'm okay with my Nooks as-is. The changes I would like are not likely to happen.
  1. Take the ads off the home screen
  2. Make the database accessible, so we can have collections and series control via Calibre
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:42 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Yes, I noticed the 53.0.112 upgrade.
It upgraded the Adobe RMSDK (the rendering engine) to 9.3.1.433
I'm not sure what, if anything, has improved.
My ignorance about RMSDK is absolute. But I know JSWolf talks about it a lot (and it seems to be important), so I should probably look it up sometime.

Quote:
Font size steps should be small enough that you get what you want and big enough that you can notice the difference.
I'm beginning to think it's my ignorance in how to convert via Calibre, as the font size steps that I don't like in the Glowlights seems to be almost identical in the Tolinos.

Quote:
Some publishers are very heavy handed with CSS.
I'm sure you've noticed that you open a book from one publisher and suddenly the font size is larger or smaller than what you normally see.
Even on DRM books (without decrypting) you have the "nuclear option".
Unzip the epub, delete all CSS, rezip.
I have a Windows utility called "unduke.exe" which does this in one step.
You can guess which publisher I hate the most.
I'll have to look into this. Right now it's all Greek to me.

Quote:
I don't annotate or care how long to chapter end anyway.
I don't either. If I had my choice I would like the option to go back to the simple xxx/xxx format in the middle of the footer that we had a couple updates ago.

Thanks for all the information. I'll have to try to educate myself about some of this.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:46 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Boy, I'm glad you check occasionally. I always leave WiFi off on my Nooks and assume whatever update is the last.
It's usually not me. I was just checking to see if an update was available that would allow more useful font size choices. The update was available, but it didn't do anything about the fonts — but this might be my ignorance at work.

Quote:
I'm okay with my Nooks as-is. The changes I would like are not likely to happen.
  1. Take the ads off the home screen
  2. Make the database accessible, so we can have collections and series control via Calibre
It's probably not the Nook's issue, it's probably my ignorance on how to convert with Calibre. Or the CSS settings as mentioned by Renate.
Old 09-10-2021, 10:04 PM   #6
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My reader has 17 font sizes over a range of 4.
That gives me a step of 2^0.125 = 1.09 between sizes.
That makes the numbers something like F stops on a camera.
8.0 is my normal, but I sometimes use 8.7 if the publisher snuck in some scale.
Old 09-11-2021, 01:41 AM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If I had my choice I would like the option to go back to the simple xxx/xxx format in the middle of the footer that we had a couple updates ago.
You don't like the:
"xxx of xxx___________xx%"?
I think it is a nice improvement.
Old 09-11-2021, 03:56 AM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
It's probably not the Nook's issue, it's probably my ignorance on how to convert with Calibre. Or the CSS settings as mentioned by Renate.
It is the Nook issue. Kindles have the same issue. With Kindles I get around unsuitable font sizes by installing the font_ramp hack. With my Nook I just embed the suitable font size in the books.

But then I'm very picky about fonts and their sizes. Even on my Kobo I had to install a patch to have the exact size I wanted.

I would never nuke all the css settings, though. That would destroy formatting. Chapter titles, section breaks, possibly italics and so on. The book would look like a simple text file after this and that would not be acceptable to me. I edit the css with the calibre editor.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 11:01 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
You don't like the:
"xxx of xxx___________xx%"?
I think it is a nice improvement.
No, not really. I like a simple footer. Most of my reading is done on one of my PocketBooks now and I just turn the footer and header off completely on those.

I do like the fact that the new ownership is still doing some Nook upgrading, however.

Last edited by rcentros; 09-11-2021 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-11-2021, 11:08 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
It is the Nook issue. Kindles have the same issue. With Kindles I get around unsuitable font sizes by installing the font_ramp hack. With my Nook I just embed the suitable font size in the books.
I guess I need to learn how to do that as I really like the Glowlight screens. Do you use Calibre?

Quote:
But then I'm very picky about fonts and their sizes. Even on my Kobo I had to install a patch to have the exact size I wanted.
I guess I am too, especially now that I've got the PocketBook with its useful font size selections and know there's a better way. Currently (the way I'm converting books) my Nook has one font size that's almost big enough to be usable — the next size is uncomfortably big. (Same with the Tolinos.) I think this is mostly with books that I convert in Calibre — so I definitely need to know how to get the font to the size I want.
Old 09-12-2021, 02:52 AM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
No, not really. I like a simple footer.
Strictly speaking it is clearly not true, but the new "xxx of xxx___________xx%" footer feels less crowded to me. Likely because even though now there is more text in the footer, it is off to the sides.

Quote:
Most of my reading is done on one of my PocketBooks now and I just turn the footer and header off completely on those.
You can do that on the Nook now too of course. Though you don't gain the space for an extra line of text as far as I know.

Quote:
I do like the fact that the new ownership is still doing some Nook upgrading, however.
Yeah, it is much appreciated.

Even though I much prefer the added features of Kobo's firmware. I like Nook's UI design more overall. Stuff like the larger covers, the icons they use and so on.

Most of my time is spent reading anyway, but when I am looking for a book or whatever, I tend to prefer the style on the Nook.
Old 09-12-2021, 08:14 AM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I guess I need to learn how to do that as I really like the Glowlight screens. Do you use Calibre?
Yes.

First, I strip out the default font size if it's anything else than 1em. This I do in the editor. I don't know how the size embedding works if you don't do that.

The embedding itself I do while converting. First, I enter the font size key (click on the button shown on the first picture). I enter the 11 values in the field Font Size Key (the second picture) and change the base font size from 12.0 to 11.2 (the field named Base Font Size above the size key field). Then I click OK. I also embed a custom font after this.

Your favorite values and base font size are almost certainly different than mine. It took me some experimenting before I found the right one. I use the 5th size from the left on my Nook (it's 7.8'', so you probably want a smaller value) on the firmware 53.0.36 (I think they changed font sizes in the next firmware update, so I didn't update my Nook).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12-09-2021 14-50-14_LI (2).jpg
Views:	185
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	189214   Click image for larger version

Name:	12-09-2021 14-53-08.png
Views:	176
Size:	376.2 KB
ID:	189215  
Old 09-12-2021, 02:17 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Update:

I updated my Nook to 53.0.66 (that's the latest for mine). And it's just awful. The font sizes are even more unusable than they were. And the text is definitely more faded.

I don't think there is a way to downgrade an eink Nook?

Anyway, I had to redo my embedded sizes. The new base font size is now 10.6 and I use the 4th size from the left.

What is with all the rubbish updates recently? Both Kindle and Nook. And you can't go back to the previous firmware on either.

Last edited by Sirtel; 09-12-2021 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-12-2021, 03:02 PM   #14
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
I don't think there is a way to downgrade an eink Nook?
Quill 5.0.133
Quill 5.2.37
Quill 5.3.35
Quill 5.3.36
Old 09-12-2021, 10:39 PM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I updated my Nook to 53.0.66 (that's the latest for mine). And it's just awful. The font sizes are even more unusable than they were.
I guess I'm lucky. I have my Kobo and Nook using very similar fonts set to about the same size and never have to adjust either.

Quote:
And the text is definitely more faded.
I don't understand this. The text looks the same as it has always looked on my (2015) Glowlight Plus and Glowlight 3. What would make the text look faded aside from some code in the ePub file causing the text not to be dispalyed as black?