Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-26-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
Nexus 7 unable to Connect

I've been using calibre for three years and this is the first time I've had a problem
When I plug in my Nexus 7 calibre no longer sees it
Plugging in my wife's Kobo still works normally, listing the eBooks on the Kobo and I'm able to transfer eBooks to the Kobo as usual

The Nexus 7 is no longer seen by calibre or by my Windows 8.1 desktop computer though it always worked in the past
Apparently Google sent out an update that changed the driver for the Nexus 7, 5 etc on Windows 8.1 computers, obviously the wrong driver
On my Windows 7 laptop computer the Nexus 7 and the Kobo connect to calibre as normal
I've set the Windows update to not download updates on the laptop in case Google decides to send the wrong update for Windows 7 computers too

I suggest it may be a good idea for anyone using Nexus devices to prevent updates in Windows computers until Google sorts the drivers out
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:23 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
Please use the forum correctly and not hijack a thread. Moved.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:01 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Try rebooting both your Nexus and your computer.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:05 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Apparently an Android debugging driver that breaks MTP was included in the August Windows patch cycle. You can fix it by:
  • plugging in the device
  • going to the device manager and finding the device. You should see Android Composite ADB interface.
  • right-click on the ADB interface line. Choose "Update driver software"
  • click "Browse my computer for driver software"
  • Click "Let me pick ..."
  • Choose the MTP driver.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:22 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@chaley: Really, this was a windows update?

If so, in August Microsoft broke both Microsoft Installer, and MTP support? Not a good month, maybe they need to redirect some of their attention from the cloud back to their desktop OS division.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:41 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post

If so, in August Microsoft broke both Microsoft Installer, and MTP support? Not a good month, maybe they need to redirect some of their attention from the cloud back to their desktop OS division.
TBH, I am not sure. There is a fair amount of chatter on the web in August about the problem, and RichieTheK reported something very similar in this post. On the other hand, the driver is dated 2013, which argues against it being pushed this month. It might have been pushed as an optional update. I wouldn't know because I want to run the debugging driver for CC development.

The driver is for the Asus Nexux 7. Not sure if it used for both the first and second gen versions. I haven't seen anything that indicates they broke MTP support for any other devices.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:37 AM   #7
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Please use the forum correctly and not hijack a thread. Moved.
My apologies, I thought it was the calibre thread
I posted in haste and lived to regret it

I 'angs me 'ead in shame
Old 08-27-2014, 10:05 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quelch View Post
My apologies, I thought it was the calibre thread
I posted in haste and lived to regret it

I 'angs me 'ead in shame
FWIW
Calibre is the Forum, not a thread.

Threads are topics under discussion.
Use the New Thread button to start a topic (after checking that there is not already a RECENTLY active thread on the topic).

Calibre also has sub forums because of the volume of traffic. Do review the descriptions and use the most appropriate one when possible. (NB if you fumble and post in the wrong place or just decide another place would be better, PM one of the Mods (list at the bottom of the Main) and they can Move it without starting another thread.

Have fun, we are here to help
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:01 AM   #9
RichieTheK
Enthusiast
RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 (2012), Samsung Galaxy Pro 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
On the other hand, the driver is dated 2013, which argues against it being pushed this month. It might have been pushed as an optional update.

The driver is for the Asus Nexux 7. Not sure if it used for both the first and second gen versions. I haven't seen anything that indicates they broke MTP support for any other devices.
It might have been in the optional rollup that was released this August. I installed that along with the other patches and then had the problem. Such rollups usually contain patches that were released earlier, now all in one place.

FWIW that ADB driver also broke MTP access to my Nexus 4, so it's more than just the Nexus 7s.
RichieTheK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:34 PM   #10
Quelch
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieTheK View Post
It might have been in the optional rollup that was released this August. I installed that along with the other patches and then had the problem. Such rollups usually contain patches that were released earlier, now all in one place.

FWIW that ADB driver also broke MTP access to my Nexus 4, so it's more than just the Nexus 7s.
On Android Central forum there are complaints from Nexus 10 owners, 7, 5, and 4
Whirlpool Computer forum have similar complaints
The rogue update came down on the 15 August '14
Old 08-30-2014, 03:44 AM   #11
Quelch
Groupie

I followed the instructions in this link:

http://www.theandroidsoul.com/nexus-...llation-guide/

Link from Whirlpool computer forum member Mark Aidan

The instructions are similar to those provided by chaley

Before following these instructions I did a system restore to before the 15th August '14 to be rid of the rogue update and set my computer to not download updates until I tell it to, so that I can un-tick the rogue one

Now calibre is working as brilliantly as before, sees my Nexus 7, lists all the eBooks I have stored on it and happily loads new eBooks

Once again all is right with the world !
Old 08-30-2014, 07:47 AM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quelch View Post
I followed the instructions in this link:

http://www.theandroidsoul.com/nexus-...llation-guide/

Link from Whirlpool computer forum member Mark Aidan

The instructions are similar to those provided by chaley

Before following these instructions I did a system restore to before the 15th August '14 to be rid of the rogue update and set my computer to not download updates until I tell it to, so that I can un-tick the rogue one

Now calibre is working as brilliantly as before, sees my Nexus 7, lists all the eBooks I have stored on it and happily loads new eBooks

Once again all is right with the world !
Quelch if you go into Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Update\Select updates to install and right click that rogue update, you can Hide It - that should be the last you see of it

Word to the wise - never download drivers for anything unless you have already determined that you really need it. And then download from the originator.

I don't understand why MS is letting Google distribute their drivers via WU. Would have thought Google were big and ugly enough to run their own software update service. I dunno if its changed but the way it used to work is that the driver originators (me) pushed their (my) driver to MS who pushed it to user - MS never took any responsibility, they were just the postman

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:33 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Quelch if you go into Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Update\Select updates to install and right click that rogue update, you can Hide It - that should be the last you see of it
That works in the sort term. But hidden updates eventually do come back unhidden. So the only way to really not possibly install it is to keep a list of what updates never to install and check before installing any updates.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:42 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What's the name/number of the Windows Update so others can ignore it?
Old 09-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post

MS14-049: Description of the security update for Windows Installer Service: August 12, 2014

That's one of the updates I have not installed being lazy and all (thank goodness). It is KB2918614. I'm running Windows 7 32-bit. But I know it also effects Windows 8.1.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...7-35b536edc158

That is the update that breaks things and I will not be installing it. What is the best way to get the word out to get everyone with Windows 7 on to uninstall this update?