Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 06-02-2018, 09:17 AM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I enjoy baseball and books about it, but I would really like to stretch a bit and read a good cricket book. I'm fascinated by this game that I really don't understand.
Heh. In my case, it's don't understand at all. Just the same, I've enjoyed fictional treatments of cricket, from Wodehouse to The Go-Between to Lord Peter Wimsey, but it's entirely over my head. Yorkers, googlies, legs before wickets; it's so much Greek to me. Which is to say, I'm quite interested in gmw's nomination, although I don't want to single that out, either. I've read a few of the nominations and they'd all be wonderful choices.

TL;DR: I'm sitting on my hands for now as I see how things play out and I'm not going to make a nomination of my own!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:13 AM   #17
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I've added the links to my post nominating Atonement and A Hundred Summers.

Yay for baseball, even if my team stinks.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2018, 10:34 AM   #18
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post

Yay for baseball, even if my team stinks.
They started out gangbusters, too, so it's a blow. Rosy hopes dashed.

My team is engaged in an epic battle and it's only the beginning of June. But I suspect they're going to pay for all their postponed games. Doubleheaders tend to split and otherwise there go rest days.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:14 AM   #19
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
They started out gangbusters, too, so it's a blow. Rosy hopes dashed.

My team is engaged in an epic battle and it's only the beginning of June. But I suspect they're going to pay for all their postponed games. Doubleheaders tend to split and otherwise there go rest days.
They'll keep dropping in the standings, then they'll make a late run, raise those hopes again, and fall short.

I don't live and breathe baseball the way I used to; I barely pay attention to other teams and races nowadays. I hate interleague play and wild cards and instant replay and the automatic intentional walk. And the designated hitter. Horrible!
Old 06-02-2018, 11:20 AM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I hate interleague play and wild cards and instant replay and the automatic intentional walk. And the designated hitter. Horrible!
I agree with you on all that. If I were baseball czarina, the dh would be the first thing to go and interleague play a close second.
Advert
Old 06-02-2018, 01:00 PM   #21
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I agree with you on all that. If I were baseball czarina, the dh would be the first thing to go and interleague play a close second.
At least artificial turf is gone.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:09 PM   #22
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Interleague play would be way more fun if they swapped rules - use the away team's rules. I'm not sure I have ever gotten to see an NL (rules) game live so it would be a treat for me.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 07:07 PM   #23
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Well, that’s definitely all Greek to me, but I have to confess, so is much about cricket!

I will second The Summer Book as I have heard good things about it, and haven’t yet read it.

I shall sit on my third vote for now, but would encourage support of Atonement - it’s a wonderful book.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:44 PM   #24
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I will second The Greengage Summer.

I have very fond memories of reading Rumer Godden's Holly and Ivy with my daughter as a Christmas tradition.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:29 PM   #25
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Thanks bfisher. It was filmed back in the 1960s with Kenneth More and Susannah York, and some people may remember that if it turned up on TV.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:21 AM   #26
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I will second The Summer Book as I have heard good things about it, and haven’t yet read it.

I shall sit on my third vote for now, but would encourage support of Atonement - it’s a wonderful book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
I will second The Greengage Summer.

I have very fond memories of reading Rumer Godden's Holly and Ivy with my daughter as a Christmas tradition.
I liked all three of these books, FWIW.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:32 PM   #27
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I would like to nominate a book already mentioned, The Go-Between by L.P. Hartley.

Spoiler:
When one long, hot summer, young Leo is staying with a school-friend at Brandham Hall, he begins to act as a messenger between Ted, the farmer, and Marian, the beautiful young woman up at the hall. He becomes drawn deeper and deeper into their dangerous game of deceit and desire, until his role brings him to a shocking and premature revelation. The haunting story of a young boy's awakening into the secrets of the adult world, The Go-Between is also an unforgettable evocation of the boundaries of Edwardian society.

Amazon UK £4.99
Kobo US $10.99
Kobo Aus$14.99
Overdrive
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:43 PM   #28
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I'm also going to nominate, Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury.

Spoiler:
The summer of '28 was a vintage season for a growing boy. A summer of green apple trees, mowed lawns, and new sneakers. Of half-burnt firecrackers, of gathering dandelions, of Grandma's belly-busting dinner. It was a summer of sorrows and marvels and gold-fuzzed bees. A magical, timeless summer in the life of a twelve-year-old boy named Douglas Spaulding—remembered forever by the incomparable Ray Bradbury.

Amazon UK £3.99
Kobo US $12.99
Kobo Aus $5.99
Overdrive
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:54 PM   #29
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I will third The Greengage Summer. I see $8.99 as the Amazon US price (not $3.03). It's also available at Overdrive, Hoopla and Scribd.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:45 PM   #30
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I second: Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote