Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-13-2018, 03:04 AM   #31
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Kovid's right. Browser cache does far more damage than Calibre ever will (and despite that, I definitely still want cache, tmp, pagefile, etc on SSD instead of HDD).
Browser cache can't be realistically avoided without severely inconveniencing the user - me.
I have still purchased more RAM so I could dial down the swappiness kernel parameter for Linux and move swap to other disk. With my usage, and more RAM, the swap partition is hardly ever used anyway.
I have also set noatime parameter in /etc/fstab and that makes the biggest impact IMHO. Normally Linux sets a time stamp every time a file is accessed, even read-only. That information is almost never used on a home desktop.

So, you see I am not losing sleep for the wear of my SSD. Not anymore, anyway , now that I have 3 years of use and I can check Total Bytes Written now and then.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:13 PM   #32
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
If you have plenty of RAM (>16 GB?) you could put both browser cache and tmp in RAM and drastically reduce the swappiness as mentioned above.

For Linux google "tmp on tmpfs" or "cache on tmpfs".

The main reason for doing this would be to use all that RAM for performance improvements you actually may notice.

Last edited by Adoby; 02-13-2018 at 04:17 PM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
author name, case, import books