Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
rbroberts
rbroberts began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Kindle 3G
Bogus error in save template from custom column

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) that I'm trying to get files onto. I've defined a couple of custom columns pretty much out of the help pages on the calibre web site

series_stripped: {series:re(^(A|The|An)\s+,)||}
series_initials: {#stripped_series:re(([^\s])[^\s]+(\s|$),\1)}

But when I attempt to "Configure this device" for and use #series_initials in the template, I get an exception

{series:'ifempty($,field('author'))'||/}{#series_initials:|| }{title}
EXCEPTION: Value: unknown field #series_initials

I finally just saved it anyway. It worked.

Calibre 1.32, Fedora 20, x86-64
rbroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:41 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
@kovid: the problem is that the MTP driver does not pass field metadata to the template editor dialog, so the editor has no idea what custom columns exist. I don't know if it can get the field metadata at that point in its life cycle.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2014, 04:00 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You should certainly be able to get field metadata for the current library with get_gui().current_db.new_api.field_metadata

However, since the template setting is not per library, perhaps the proper fix is to no validate field names at all? I dont know if that's possible with validation_formatter however.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:20 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The problem isn't the validation formatter. It already indicates that any desired field exists.

The template editor uses the normal formatter so that it can show sample values for the template when editing composite column templates. Perhaps when it is in a no-book context it should use the validation formatter and not attempt show any sample values. That would be relatively easy to do.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:54 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Pushed a fix that grabs a copy of field metadata. Turned out not to be feasible to use the validation formatter because it doesn't parse general program mode templates.

This should be OK even in a non per-library context. If the user enters a custom column lookup key then it should be in the current library so that the template can be tested.
Advert