Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-10-2018, 01:08 AM   #106
eDP
eDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheeseeDP can extract oil from cheese

Device: Oasis
The hue change down the screen wasn't as noticeable as the photo shows, but the light bleeds were. I've now set it back and might try again in a week or two for a different one.

I actually thought the Glo HD was a little sharper and had a little more contrast next to the Clara HD. I've since read that the Clara has the capacitive touch screen rather than the IR-based one of the Glo, so that might make a small difference.
eDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:14 AM   #107
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
I though they were both at least the same regarding sharpness. I don't have the Glo HD anymore, but I think with the light off it had a whiter screen than the Clara HD.
But I really got to love the screen of the Clara now that I fixed the light bleed.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:20 AM   #108
stiivo
Enthusiast
stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Reply from Kobo

This is the reply i got today after contacting Kobo through facebook regarding the Clara HD light bleed issue
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo reply.png
Views:	389
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	166477  

Last edited by stiivo; 09-25-2018 at 09:23 AM.
stiivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:32 PM   #109
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiivo View Post
This is the reply i got today after contacting Kobo through facebook regarding the Clara HD light bleed issue

Good to know! Thank you for sharing!

(I wonder how many exchanges would be required before one got a new Clara without the light 'bleed'...)
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:27 PM   #110
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Did they say When the Fixed Clara will be Released?
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:22 PM   #111
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Did they say When the Fixed Clara will be Released?
Read it again. They didn't say anything about a "Fixed Clara" being released. At the best, they will go back to the factory and solve the problem there. And future batches will not show the problem. They might also decide to live with it until they release a completely new replacement device. That would be another year at least. It is also very unlikely they will officially announce anything. If there is a fix, it will just done.

What they do will depend on what the real cause is, how easy it is to fix and exactly how many devices are affected.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:17 AM   #112
stiivo
Enthusiast
stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.

I asked how and when this issue would be mitigated. I will post again with an update.

On another note, I'm currently using a Glo Hd, would you guys suggest updating to a Clara Hd knowing about this issue? Is much of a difference apart from the warm light and the support for OverDrive. I'm not taking the difference in memory into consideration as my Glo Hd is currently running on 16gb of storage...

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-26-2018, 08:38 AM   #113
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I asked how and when this issue would be mitigated. I will post again with an update.

On another note, I'm currently using a Glo Hd, would you guys suggest updating to a Clara Hd knowing about this issue? Is much of a difference apart from the warm light and the support for OverDrive. I'm not taking the difference in memory into consideration as my Glo Hd is currently running on 16gb of storage...
That's hard to answer.

If you had a dead Glo HD and wanted to know whether the Clara HD was a good replacement, then I would say yes. It is a good device and is a natural upgrade to the Glo HD. It is a little faster, the light is an improvement, Overdrive integration is a good addition, it feels a little sleeker. Overall, a good upgrade if you need a new device.

But, if you have a fully working Glo HD and are happy with it, then it probably isn't worth it. It doesn't have enough new features to want to throw out the current device. The light on the Glo HD works well, you can borrow books and download via ADE, it isn't that much slower.

If you are after a new toy, then go ahead. It sounds like two of the pluses are things you want. And you can use them to justify the purchase

I am happy with mine. At the moment, I'm splitting my reading between the Clara HD and my Glo HD. Basically purchased books on the Clara HD and sideloaded on the Glo HD. That's simply because I want to reorganise some things and having the separation is handy at the moment. But, I do prefer the Clara HD. At least until the next device.

As to the light bleed, I don't know how much of a risk it is. Judging by this thread, there are plenty of devices that don't have any problems. Or so little, they didn't notice it until it was pointed out. How representative of the real world this is, I don't know. Kobo have acknowledged it and are accepting it as a fault, so replacing it shouldn't be to hard. My Clara HD has a noticeable but even bleed on the bottom right. I can see it, but it disappears when I'm reading, so it doesn't worry me much.

And for the record, mine is definitely in the "new toy" category. Plus. "distract the wife so she doesn't ask to many questions when you get home" I just don't know what I will do if Kobo announces an Aura ONE replacement soon.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:56 AM   #114
stiivo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That's hard to answer.

If you had a dead Glo HD and wanted to know whether the Clara HD was a good replacement, then I would say yes. It is a good device and is a natural upgrade to the Glo HD. It is a little faster, the light is an improvement, Overdrive integration is a good addition, it feels a little sleeker. Overall, a good upgrade if you need a new device.

But, if you have a fully working Glo HD and are happy with it, then it probably isn't worth it. It doesn't have enough new features to want to throw out the current device. The light on the Glo HD works well, you can borrow books and download via ADE, it isn't that much slower.

If you are after a new toy, then go ahead. It sounds like two of the pluses are things you want. And you can use them to justify the purchase

I am happy with mine. At the moment, I'm splitting my reading between the Clara HD and my Glo HD. Basically purchased books on the Clara HD and sideloaded on the Glo HD. That's simply because I want to reorganise some things and having the separation is handy at the moment. But, I do prefer the Clara HD. At least until the next device.

As to the light bleed, I don't know how much of a risk it is. Judging by this thread, there are plenty of devices that don't have any problems. Or so little, they didn't notice it until it was pointed out. How representative of the real world this is, I don't know. Kobo have acknowledged it and are accepting it as a fault, so replacing it shouldn't be to hard. My Clara HD has a noticeable but even bleed on the bottom right. I can see it, but it disappears when I'm reading, so it doesn't worry me much.

And for the record, mine is definitely in the "new toy" category. Plus. "distract the wife so she doesn't ask to many questions when you get home" I just don't know what I will do if Kobo announces an Aura ONE replacement soon.
Thanks for all the information.

Seems like ill be getting a Clara Hd soon hehe
Old 09-26-2018, 08:58 AM   #115
stiivo
Enthusiast

Below is the reply I just recieved from Kobo. They are stating that this issue has already been addressed and fixed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reply.png
Views:	239
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	166495  
Old 09-26-2018, 10:22 AM   #116
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2
It doesn't mean much, but I bought mine last weekend from an Indigo store here in Quebec and the issue was there. I fixed it twice with electrical tape. Once just the sides but then I had this weird discoloration issue on the bottom right.

In any case, they probably still had stock from the original release date.
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:35 AM   #117
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Just a Guess Betting they Only Replace those that customers complain about. The way mine is I don't find it bothers me.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:38 AM   #118
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Just a Guess Betting they Only Replace those that customers complain about. The way mine is I don't find it bothers me.
Well, it would be unlikely they would replace readers that customers don't complain about. How would they know?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:10 AM   #119
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
personally i'd wait until they made a device that didn't have such a common design fllaw/fault before i parted with my hard earned cash.

but perhaps that's just me.

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 09-26-2018 at 02:14 PM.
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:47 PM   #120
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
personally i'd wait until they made a device that didn't have such a common design floor/fault before i parted with my hard earned cash.

but perhaps that's just me.

best wishes koboy
Do you mean design flaw?
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote