Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 02-11-2018, 06:16 AM   #1
sciurius
Enthusiast
sciurius doesn't littersciurius doesn't litter

Device: PC
Calibre server won't start, but why?

I want to run a calibre content server on a copy of my library. Since the server detects changes in the database and reloads if necessary this should not be a problem. However, the server refuses to start with "Another calibre program such as another instance of calibre-server or the main calibre program is running."

Multiple programs updating the same SQLite database is a bad idea, but in this case calibre and calibre-server use different libraries and hence different databases.

Code:
% calibre --with-library /bulk/calibre/tmp &
[1] 22969
Using library at /bulk/calibre/tmp
% calibre-server /bulk/calibre/bar
Another calibre program such as another instance of calibre-server or the main calibre program is running. Having multiple programs that can make changes to a calibre library running at the same time is not supported.
Exit 1
Is this intentional?
sciurius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:39 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciurius View Post
I want to run a calibre content server on a copy of my library. Since the server detects changes in the database and reloads if necessary this should not be a problem. However, the server refuses to start with "Another calibre program such as another instance of calibre-server or the main calibre program is running."

Multiple programs updating the same SQLite database is a bad idea, but in this case calibre and calibre-server use different libraries and hence different databases.

Code:
% calibre --with-library /bulk/calibre/tmp &
[1] 22969
Using library at /bulk/calibre/tmp
% calibre-server /bulk/calibre/bar
Another calibre program such as another instance of calibre-server or the main calibre program is running. Having multiple programs that can make changes to a calibre library running at the same time is not supported.
Exit 1
Is this intentional?
Did you read the full message? ONE Instance of ANY calibre.
It looks like you are trying to start 2 different sessions.

If you need per user level restrictions, then set up User Accounts in Preferences: Sharing over the Net
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:41 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You cannot run the GUI and the server at the same time. Either run the embedded server in the GUI or write a script that shuts down the server before launching the GUI and starts it back up after the GUI exits.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:21 PM   #4
sciurius
Enthusiast
sciurius doesn't littersciurius doesn't litter

Device: PC
I think my mistake is that I considered calibre (and the content server) to operate on a library, and hence require exclusive access to that library only.

Ok, no big deal.
sciurius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:53 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I think my mistake is that I considered calibre (and the content server) to operate on a library, and hence require exclusive access to that library only.

Ok, no big deal.
That was Calibre 2.x's way.
The whole server thing was redone, so All known libraries (by default) are accessible from the server, be it built into the GUI or standalone.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:33 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:

Ok, no big deal.
Yeah, not quite, the GUI can switch to any library at any time, including one it did not know about at startup. Similarly the server can access any number of libraries (though only the ones it knows about at startup, the server has no provision for crating new libraries).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote