Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #1
Dr.Strangelove
Dr.Strangelove began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7. Generation
Question sigil spell check complains parts of word

The picture should be self-explaning (click to enlarge):

The spellcheck complains the word "ei", but there is no such word. Instead it is a part of a word. And there is nothing wrong with it.

These are the spellcheck settings:

I tested sigil 0.9.10 and also 0.9.13 which I compiled today from master branch.
Dr.Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:51 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I suspect there is a hidden character (thin space, soft hyphen ...) in the next place.
Try moving the cursor to the right with the arrow key
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2019, 12:07 PM   #3
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
I'm 99% sure you have Soft Hyphens hidden in your code.

Easiest way to find it is:

1. Tools > Reports > Characters in HTML Files

This will give you a list of all characters in your book.

2. Scroll down the list and look for anything strange:

Click image for larger version

Name:	SoftHyphensReport.png
Views:	225
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	170230

3. Double-click the row, and it will put the strange character in the Search for you. You can then Find/Replace.

In this case, if you double-click the Soft Hyphen, you can then replace it with nothing.

Note: I attached a sample EPUB with a soft hyphen in it.

Code:
<p>This example has a soft hyphen.</p>
In the EPUB, the word "example" has a soft hyphen between the ex-ample.

Note #2: If it isn't a Soft Hyphen, then it's probably one of the many different types of spaces or invisible characters (like a Zero-Width Joiner). Those will all show up in the Report.
Attached Files
File Type: epub SoftHyphenExample.epub (1.8 KB, 162 views)

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 03-15-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:30 PM   #4
Dr.Strangelove
Dr.Strangelove began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7. Generation
Wow! Thanks - I didn't know that such hidden code exists.
Removing it by replacing it with 'nothing' works when I choose regular expressions.
I have 42 chapters and therefore a lot of files. Do I need to make this for a every file individually or is there a way to execute this on all files automatically?
Dr.Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:29 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You can always add &shy; or &#xad; to your Preserve Entities list in your Sigil Preferences. That way, all soft hyphens will be converted to visible html entities whenever opening/saving/mending an epub. Then they can be easily removed with F&R. You can add any other zero-space character entities you may encounter there as well. That way, they won't ever sneak up on you again.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-15-2019 at 01:33 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2019, 03:29 PM   #6
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Strangelove View Post
I have 42 chapters and therefore a lot of files. Do I need to make this for a every file individually or is there a way to execute this on all files automatically?
In the F&R box, you should see "Mode:" + a few dropdowns.

The 2nd dropdown should be changed from "Current File" to "All HTML Files".

And yes, like you found out, the 1st dropdown should say "Regex".
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spellcheck