Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-03-2018, 07:45 AM   #16
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden100 View Post
Ah, so there is no way for Kindle Unlimited other than Epubor Ultimate?
There is another way. Purchase the books you want to keep permanently.

In Kindle Unlimited authors are paid by Amazon based on the number of pages read within the Amazon ecosystem. When someone removes DRM from one of those books and reads that copy the author of that book isn't paid.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:10 PM   #17
Holden100
Holden100 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Epubor uses the open source DeDrm tools without complying with the licence or in fact even acknowledging it. The DeDrm tools do not assist you in removing the DRM from books you have no right to keep permanently, such as books borrowed from the library or from Kindle Unlimited. It would be perfectly in keeping with the ethics of those behind Epubor to change the code to allow you to do this. Do they advertise that it works on KU and/or borrowed books? I couldn't see it on their site. However, their faq says;

It would seem that even Epubor will not do what you want. Might I suggest that if you want to keep a borrowed book to read that you seriously consider buying it.
Fair enough. I was being greedy and silly. Thanks.
Holden100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2018, 02:56 PM   #18
Amazondoc
Enthusiast
Amazondoc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HDX and Fire HD
I just downloaded and installed DeDRM Tools 6.6.1, DeDRM Calibre Plugin for Mac. I've been using Calibre for years, so I'm comfortable with using it (though definitely not an expert at it in terms of techyness).

I am still not having luck converting KFX files, for either purchased or borrowed books. I understand the argument against converting KU books (though I disagree with it, since authors will get paid as long as I scroll through the book before returning it), and I won't ask for help with that, but I'd really like some input on how to get this to work for my purchased books.

I'm using Kindle for Mac 1.23.1 . I'll be reluctantly willing to try the going-back-to-1.17 or chmod methods if necessary, but I'd rather get the dang plugin to work as designed, if I can.

Any pointers? Also, I haven't tried the standalone app yet. Would that have a better chance of success?

Thanks in advance for any input!
Amazondoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:01 PM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
We are not allowed to offer help removing DRM.
Ask at the place where you got those tools
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:04 PM   #20
Amazondoc
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
We are not allowed to offer help removing DRM.
Ask at the place where you got those tools
The error message in Calibre specifically sends me to this forum. Quoting from the error message:

"This is an Amazon KFX book. It cannot be processed. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283371 for information on how to handle KFX books."

I started out reading that thread, and now I'm here. If that link is placed in error, perhaps someone should contact the creators of DeDRM to have the link removed?
Advert
Old 06-23-2018, 03:10 PM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
That is a Calibre advisory message.
KFX is a problem. The linked thread offers ways to avoid the KFX version of a book
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:28 PM   #22
Amazondoc
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That is a Calibre advisory message.
KFX is a problem. The linked thread offers ways to avoid the KFX version of a book
Yes, and as I mentioned in my previous post I am willing to try those ways (revert to 1.17 or chmod modifications) if all else fails.

But since the error message specifically sent me to the mobileread forums to a thread titled "Dealing with Kindle for PC/Mac and KFX in Calibre", and since this pre-existing thread that we're currently posting in is specifically titled "Handling KFX Files in Calibre", somehow I thought this would be an appropriate place to ask for help with, you know, handling KFX files in Calibre.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:57 PM   #23
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Do you have KfxInput plugin installed?
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:09 PM   #24
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
If the thread you referenced didn't give you enough info, ask at Apprentice Alf's blog.

Detailed DRM-removal instructions are not permitted at MobileRead.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:33 PM   #25
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazondoc View Post
The error message in Calibre specifically sends me to this forum. Quoting from the error message:

"This is an Amazon KFX book. It cannot be processed. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283371 for information on how to handle KFX books."

I started out reading that thread, and now I'm here. If that link is placed in error, perhaps someone should contact the creators of DeDRM to have the link removed?
That link is correct. The first post of that thread has the instructions for handling KFX format in calibre.

Since you don't want to make changes to your Kindle for Mac installation (methods 1 & 2) and apparently don't own a Kindle e-reader (method 3) then you are left with method 4: using the KFX Input plugin.

See the thread for that plugin for instructions. calibre does not handle import or conversion from KFX format unless that plugin is installed.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:42 PM   #26
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
@Amazondoc. No matter what the error message may have said, you are not entitled to help or even a response on this forum. This is a community of book lovers and like many such groups, members choose to help each other, but are not of course obliged to do so. I suggest that in future you bear this in mind when posting.

So far as removing DRM from KU books go, payment to a particular author by Amazon for pages read does not entitle you to keep the book concerned. You can keep that book and 9 others at any one time provided you remain a KU member. When you return a book or cease to be a member you have no legal right to that book. If you want the author to be paid then I caution you about simply clicking through a book on a Kindle device or App. We don't know precisely how Amazon determines pages read. A recent statement from Amazon implied that at least newer Kindle devices (and presumably apps) can determine with a high degree of precision what pages have been read. Whether simply quickly clicking through on such a device is sufficient to trigger payment to an author on such devices or apps only Amazon knows.

I should add that I am simply pointing out what I see as problems in what you said. I make no moral judgements or criticism. It is your own affair how you choose to treat DRM infected books and licensing terms. But detailed help of the type you require is not available here. You need to post at Apprentice Alf's blog and should include a debug log of what happens when you seek to import a book.

Good luck.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:11 AM   #27
Amazondoc
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Do you have KfxInput plugin installed?
I had not installed it at the time of my previous posts. At the time, I was thinking that DeDRM 6.6.1 plus the KFXInput plugin would be redundant -- but now I understand that is not actually the case. I have installed it now -- and yes, conversion of purchased books is now working.

OTOH, it's kind of a pain to have to import and then re-convert books one by one before I can read them within Calibre (within the "E-book Viewer"). And the more I think of it, the more silly and annoying it seems to me to have a "book" broken up into multiple files as KFX does it. Get off my lawn, you young whippersnappers!

I am now appreciating more fully the differences in the solutions going on here: Methods 1-3 in the "Dealing With" thread are ways to avoid KFX altogether, while Method 4 plus DeDRM 6.6.1 is how to deal with KFX once it is foisted on you. After reading up a little more on KFX's benefits (enhanced typography and image handling, apparently), I'm thinking those benefits aren't really worth the added hassles of dealing with the files.

TL;DR -- I went ahead and used the chmod technique (Method 2), and all is well for now. Much simpler to deal with the files this way.

Thanks to Terisa, jhowell, and pdurrant for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl
No matter what the error message may have said, you are not entitled to help or even a response on this forum.
Of course not. Silence is always a viable option. It's just annoying to post on a thread titled "Handling KFX Files in Calibre" and then be told that the thread is not actually an appropriate place to ask for help with handling KFX files in Calibre.

Quote:
So far as removing DRM from KU books go, payment to a particular author by Amazon for pages read does not entitle you to keep the book concerned.
Converting a book in Calibre does not necessarily imply keeping that book on a permanent basis. But ethically your point is a good one, and could engender some interesting debate in an appropriate venue.

Quote:
We don't know precisely how Amazon determines pages read. A recent statement from Amazon implied that at least newer Kindle devices (and presumably apps) can determine with a high degree of precision what pages have been read. Whether simply quickly clicking through on such a device is sufficient to trigger payment to an author on such devices or apps only Amazon knows.
This is true, and it's a good thing to keep in mind. OTOH, it seems very unlikely to me that Amazon has some sort of timer on KU files so that if you click through a page too quickly, it doesn't count as having read that page.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:26 AM   #28
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
This is true, and it's a good thing to keep in mind. OTOH, it seems very unlikely to me that Amazon has some sort of timer on KU files so that if you click through a page too quickly, it doesn't count as having read that page.
I doubt Amazon differentiates KU books from other books. The problem is that we really don't know exactly what information Amazon devices and apps do gather. If they can in fact track actual page reads it is not too far a stretch to imagine that they can detect when pages are clicked through. I doubt Amazon will be enlightening us on the issue any time soon or in fact at all.

Legally the position re keeping KU Books is very clear. The moral issues have been done to death here over the years be it KU books or library books. I think we are better leaving the morality in this area to individuals. Some apply their own moral code, Some rationalise. Some even accept it is wrong and do it anyway. Many publishers don't exactly come to the table with "clean hands" in any event, and two wrongs do make a right in some people's philosophy. Though I suspect most of us agree that authors at least should receive some reward for their work.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:34 AM   #29
Amazondoc
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
If they can in fact track actual page reads it is not too far a stretch to imagine that they can detect when pages are clicked through.
Unless Amazon hijacks my laptop's camera to track my eye movements, or uses the timer I hypothesized above, I don't see how they can tell the difference between a page that I click through without reading vs. one that I click through after reading.

Quote:
I doubt Amazon will be enlightening us on the issue any time soon or in fact at all.
Ain't that the truth!

Quote:
Though I suspect most of us agree that authors at least should receive some reward for their work.
This is the big point for me. I pay Amazon for access to those books, through my Prime and KU memberships. As long as the author gets their cut, and as long as I don't go sharing that file throughout the netiverse, I feel very little guilt about whatever else I might do with the file before or after reading it.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:55 AM   #30
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Unless Amazon hijacks my laptop's camera to track my eye movements, or uses the timer I hypothesized above, I don't see how they can tell the difference between a page that I click through without reading vs. one that I click through after reading.
But, they can measure how long a page is open. They probably need a minimum time on a page before it gets counted. That way just quickly turning a lot of pages without pause wouldn't be counted.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote