Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
kobo - frozen on update screen

In the UK, WH Smiths is currently selling this ereader for £30. After 2 seconds thought I bought one. I haven't used it yet, in fact I can't use it, because the screen shows "updating the software on your reader...".

I tried holding the power key down for various lengths of time, I tried the home key, the menu key etc. I tried recharging it (via USB). I tried staring hard at it. Nothing.

Any ideas?

Mike

PS I'm moderately used to Kindles etc but this is my 1st try with a Kobo. I was hoping to give it to my younger son who likes to read but I suspect I need to fix this before handing it over.

Last edited by mike_bike_kite; 06-14-2013 at 08:53 AM. Reason: changed title from kobo mini to kobo
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
In the UK, WH Smiths is currently selling this ereader for £30. After 2 seconds thought I bought one. I haven't used it yet, in fact I can't use it, because the screen shows "updating the software on your reader...".

I tried holding the power key down for various lengths of time, I tried the home key, the menu key etc. I tried recharging it (via USB). I tried staring hard at it. Nothing.

Any ideas?

Mike

PS I'm moderately used to Kindles etc but this is my 1st try with a Kobo. I was hoping to give it to my younger son who likes to read but I suspect I need to fix this before handing it over.
Try a basic reset - directions here, with it plugged in

Last edited by Willa; 06-14-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for replying!

I'm not 100% convinced mine has a snap on back cover. I can obviously apply more force - I'm 6'3" and it's 5" but I don't want to hurt it It does have a small pin size hole on the back above the micro usb socket. I tried the paper clip there but it didn't go click (as described) and the screen didn't change. So I can't seem to do the basic reset.

I looked at the factory reset but the 1st thing it says is press the menu button and of course my unit seems frozen

Suggestions?

Mike

PS actually I don't think I do have the Kobo mini! I asked for the Mini and that was the one they were selling for £29 but they appear to have given me the standard sized kobo ereader. It appears to be the same size as my Kindle and the screen size is 6" diagonally. Not a bad buy for £29 - well it would be if I could get it to work...

Last edited by mike_bike_kite; 06-14-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused

Actually the ereader appears to be the 2nd generation version of the kobo. It has 4 buttons on the left side and a 4-way button on the front. No idea if it has wifi etc as it currently won't turn on. Sorry for confusion as to the model.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

PS actually I don't think I do have the Kobo mini! I asked for the Mini and that was the one they were selling for £29 but they appear to have given me the standard sized kobo ereader. It appears to be the same size as my Kindle and the screen size is 6" diagonally. Not a bad buy for £29 - well it would be if I could get it to work...
Heee - bargain! OK - this means you either have a Kobo Touch or a Kobo Glo! The Touch has a definite 'quilted' back where as the Glo has a smooth back. Identify yours, if you have the Touch with the quilted, nobbly back - there is a pinhole reset on the back of it. Try there.

If you have the Glo slide the power button on the top to the right and hold it for 10 seconds. Your eReader should turn off. Quickly slide the power button to the right to turn it back on. If that doesn't work the reset hole is on the bottom of the reader. Paperclip it and that should boot it up
Advert
Old 06-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊

Quote:
Actually the ereader appears to be the 2nd generation version of the kobo. It has 4 buttons on the left side and a 4-way button on the front. No idea if it has wifi etc as it currently won't turn on. Sorry for confusion as to the model.
Ahhh - that model was before my time. I am not sure whether Kobo still even supports it with updates etc - so you may want to think about returning it for a Mini which is currently supported and has the newer technology.

If you do decide to return it I would ring your Smith's branch and get them to reserve you a Mini - so that they don't run out.

Hopefully one of the guys here may be able to add to this

Last edited by Willa; 06-14-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Plug a cellphone charger with correct plug into your Kobo Wifi and let it charge for 4 hours. Most any charger will work except some made for Ipod.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
The 4-way button marks this as a Kobo Wifi, not a current model (Touch, Glo, Mini, Aura).
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Kobo Wifi has good stable software with last new software version over 2 years ago.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #10
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I would return it for a real Mini, unless you feel a real connection with it
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #11
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused

any idea how I can get it off the "updating the software screen"?
Would you stick with this model or demand a swap?
Offer is only open to the end of today (about 1 hour till closing)!

Mike
Old 06-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #12
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
any idea how I can get it off the "updating the software screen"?
Would you stick with this model or demand a swap?
Offer is only open to the end of today (about 1 hour till closing)!

Mike
Since you bought it while the offer was on but you've been given a wrong device, do you think you really have to go back within the hour?
What you've got is an old (though first hand) device. If it were me, I would go and ask to have a Mini.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #13
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused

You're probably right. This model seems well made and the screen size is good but I just can't test it in any way because I can't get off the "updating" screen. It's now showing as out of stock on the WH Smiths site so I may of missed my chance

Any idea how to get off this damn updating screen?

Mike
Old 06-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #14
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused

I've managed to find the mini in white.I've ordered that and will take this one back to the shop tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's help.

Mike
Old 06-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #15
samhy
Wizard

Quote:
I've managed to find the mini in white.I've ordered that and will take this one back to the shop tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's help.

Mike
Congrats!
By the way, what method did you use to set up your Mini-which-happened-to-be-something-else? A computer or through WIFI?