Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-05-2008, 11:39 PM   #16
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike's Place View Post
After about six months of studying the different readers I had decided to get a new 10" Fujitsu stylist with a 10hr battery.
Which one is that? I use a Stylistic 3400, and get 1 hour at most. I've seen external batteries, but they weigh more than the stylistic.

Quote:
Then I discovered this wonderful forum. I downloaded PDFLRFwin-0.99 and WOW!!! What a difference! It digests everything I throw at it and produces perfectly readable mathematical books. Now I love my reader! It has replaced a banker box of books and papers that use to accompany me on car trips (which explains why my wife was so happy to provide me with the Reader).
I've been using a PRS-505 is my math classes, but never though that ANY converter would convert a math text reliably. I'll have to try it.

Quote:
Are there any other math guys out there using the Sony Reader?
See my posts here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19059

I've basically decided on an UMPC as a replacement for a PRS-505, but I might go with the Fujitsu tablet you mentioned.

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:29 AM   #17
Mike's Place
Pull up a chair
Mike's Place doesn't litterMike's Place doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledelectron View Post
Which one is that? I use a Stylistic 3400, and get 1 hour at most. I've seen external batteries, but they weigh more than the stylistic.
I was looking at the ST5111 with the 9-cell battery.

Quote:
I've been using a PRS-505 is my math classes, but never though that ANY converter would convert a math text reliably. I'll have to try it.
get it here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13135

Quote:
That's where I first saw your posts.

Quote:
I've basically decided on an UMPC as a replacement for a PRS-505, but I might go with the Fujitsu tablet you mentioned.

Andy
I played with the Samsung/Microsoft UMPC yesterday. It didn't leave me with a desire to buy it. It feels a little thick and bulky. I might be able to get use to the keyboard, but I don't think I would every be as fast as a I am on a normal KB. The touchscreen is a little kludgy, not at all as effortless as the iPhone touchscreen. Maybe that's adjustable.

I also played with the Fujitsu UMPC. Same opinion.

I'd like to try out the HTC or the OQO - I'm a fan of keyboards.

My kids all have Sony TZ series 11.1" laptops. These are just as thin and compact as the tablet PC's and UMPC's and they have other great features (like a useable keyboard). The extended battery gives you about 9 hours, but I think it's cleaner just to carry two standard batteries. If you buy the older one (the core duo, not the core2duo) and just use 512M of ram you can get over 6 hrs from a single standard battery. If you set the screen to blank after only one minute you save a lot of battery.

The thing I like about the TZ is that it supports a 24" flat panel at home with very high resolution, 2049 X 1536 (or something like that). So it is one of my daughter's only device.

I'm thinking about writing a keyboard driver for the Sony Reader. If one could implement a terminate-stay-ready pop-up window and some other data features, it might be possible to annotate an LRF. I don't know enough about the data format to know if that's possible yet, but usually with computers: "Where there is a will, there is a way" (not necessarily a pretty way, though).

Mike
Mike's Place is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2008, 04:45 AM   #18
norayr
norayr began at the beginning.

Device: looking forward for one...
Hi all,
I am a mathematician too (University of Vienna) and was looking forward for employing the e-ink for storing/reading all the research papers, books with me on the trips. I use a laptop for that purpose now, but have to admit it's hard to read from the LCD + holding/placing the laptop for long reads on the sofa is not too convenient.
As well as Mike, having concluded to buy the Fujitsu flepia A4 size:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10480
I decided to wait until it is available (it is not on sale now, correct?),
but fund Mike's post.
Could you please confirm that PDF lrf works for FORMULAS ? Is it possible to convert a standard latex research article from PFD to lrf
RELIABLY with this tool?
Norayr
norayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #19
Mike's Place
Pull up a chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by norayr View Post
Could you please confirm that PDF lrf works for FORMULAS ? Is it possible to convert a standard latex research article from PFD to lrf
RELIABLY with this tool?
Norayr
As long as you have a PDF file to begin with, you will be very happy with the results, with one exception: If there are notes or logos in the margin of each page, PDFLRF cannot completely get rid of the margins so the text is not as big as it can be. In this case I suppose you could strip everything from the margins before processing. There also is a way to process PS files, but I have not investigated that.

Why don't you post a document you are currently reading and I'll process it for you. You can download an LRF viewer here:

https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/download_windows

The text will look a little thickened and grainy in the viewer, but it will look good on the Sony Reader, but you will be able to see what a good job it does with tiny greek subscripts and symbols and such.

If you want your own copy of PDFLRFwin-0.99, get it here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13135

Mike
Old 02-06-2008, 01:06 PM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Most research articles in my field (theoretical physics) have their latex sources available, so all you need to do is add a \usepackage{geometry} with the appropriate page size for the reader just before the \begin{document} and you get a nice custom formatted PDF for your reader.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2008, 10:46 PM   #21
Mike's Place
Pull up a chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Most research articles in my field (theoretical physics) have their latex sources available, so all you need to do is add a \usepackage{geometry} with the appropriate page size for the reader just before the \begin{document} and you get a nice custom formatted PDF for your reader.
Thanks. Are you doing this conversion with the command line pdflrf?

By the way, just on the off chance: Do you know Larry Romans? I went to high school with him. He received his PhD in theoretical physics at Caltech in the early 80's. He wrote a seminal paper in 86' on symmetry breaking... a real sleeping beauty. He works at JPL now. I also have a daughter attending Azusa next door to you.

Mike
Old 02-06-2008, 11:30 PM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The PDF that this technique produces is optimized for the 6 inch screen, so there's no need to convert it to LRF. Though I have to say that when reading papers I have an irresistible urge to scribble in the margins, which means I end up using my tablet most of the time

Can't say I know Larry, though I'm sure I must've bumped into him a few times. I work on quantum information theory so I don't go to JPL often. Is your daughter planning to go to Caltech?
Old 02-07-2008, 12:14 AM   #23
Mike's Place
Pull up a chair

Quote:
The PDF that this technique produces is optimized for the 6 inch screen, so there's no need to convert it to LRF. Though I have to say that when reading papers I have an irresistible urge to scribble in the margins, which means I end up using my tablet most of the time

Can't say I know Larry, though I'm sure I must've bumped into him a few times. I work on quantum information theory so I don't go to JPL often. Is your daughter planning to go to Caltech?
Larry is strictly strings and gravity as far as I know. Is your work purely theoretical or is it applied to quantum computing or such?

My younger daughter, who is 16yrs old now, may go to Caltech for graduate school. Her interest has always been in biotech, but from a mathematical side. She became facinated with Dr. Cameron Jones' neat trick of identifying pathogens spectroscopically by using a common CDROM drive (with just an MD5 hash!). Her idea is to find a signature that is common to all cancer cells.

Jones claims that his results are only explained by quantum entanglement. Do you know about this?

Mike
Old 02-07-2008, 10:14 AM   #24
norayr
norayr began at the beginning.

Device: looking forward for one...
Thanks very much Mike, I did convert some pdf-s, and the conversion seems quite reliable.

A typical article that I am reading is:
http://www.math.purdue.edu/~arshak/p...energ-corr.pdf

Of course, for the articles available in ARXIVE, I do get the latex source file, and there is a special latex style that one can use for different e-readers. But unfortunately most of the papers in my direction are not available there...

On a side not thought I am not sure about how it would actually look on the screen...
I mean to me it seems that the conversion is basically a scaling process, in landscape mode you have the feeling that too little is shown at a time, and you have to scroll to often, and some of the fonts might look too small in portrait mode when actually shown on the device. It is too bad Sony does not sell them in Europe, so I can't check it in a shop... (while I can ask my brother to order one in US).

Thanks again,
Norayr
norayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:36 PM   #25
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Larry is strictly strings and gravity as far as I know. Is your work purely theoretical or is it applied to quantum computing or such?

My younger daughter, who is 16yrs old now, may go to Caltech for graduate school. Her interest has always been in biotech, but from a mathematical side. She became facinated with Dr. Cameron Jones' neat trick of identifying pathogens spectroscopically by using a common CDROM drive (with just an MD5 hash!). Her idea is to find a signature that is common to all cancer cells.

Jones claims that his results are only explained by quantum entanglement. Do you know about this?

Mike
No my work is purely theoretical. It may well be applied by experimentalists in a decade or so No, I'm not familiar with Jones' work, though it sounds interesting? Do you have a reference?
Old 02-07-2008, 07:28 PM   #26
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
No my work is purely theoretical. It may well be applied by experimentalists in a decade or so No, I'm not familiar with Jones' work, though it sounds interesting? Do you have a reference?
Ok then - are you into high-energy physics type theory? I work at Fermilab particle accelerator - shooting protons into things to see what comes out the other side. I guess that's experimental, but there's lots of theory involved too.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:02 PM   #27
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No I'm on the low-energy side. Quantum computing, typically with systems very near absolute zero Though my roomate, Pedro Ochoa works on MINOS and often goes to Fermilab.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:45 AM   #28
Mike's Place
Pull up a chair

Quote:
No I'm on the low-energy side. Quantum computing, typically with systems very near absolute zero Though my roomate, Pedro Ochoa works on MINOS and often goes to Fermilab.
What a fun life you guys have! I hope you enjoy it. I wanted to study theoretical physics after undergrad school, but I decided I wanted more money than that paid at the time. I started a business, grew it for twenty years, and I'm just about to step out of the way of it now. Not really retiring, just stepping back into the role of a "consultant". If that ends up giving me enough free time, I'd really like to go back to school and pursue my first love.

Kovid. Guys like you are shaping our future. You're making a lasting mark.

Props to you,

Mike

BTW - I'm looking for one of Dr. Jones' more mathematical papers - there is one out there that bumps up to information theory.

Last edited by Mike's Place; 02-08-2008 at 03:34 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:16 AM   #29
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yeah, we do But growing a business must have been pretty rewarding as well.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:46 AM   #30
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Just saw this thread. Welcome to MR, Mike!

I'd have to say that the work for these quantum physics guys and gals must be fascinating, although probably not fascinating in the way a layman might think. Just to work in quantum physics, they probably are also amazing mathematicians as well.

Wood is quite right (and has a mind like a steel trap that never misses anything, doesn't he!?). I do have a Math Ph.D. in Algebraic K-Theory. And an ABD in Economics after that as well. It is frustrating, though, isn't it? I was ABD with an Economics Ph.D., plus 50% done with my dissertation, and had to leave school with an M.S. instead due to a family emergency. Never had a chance to return or work as a researcher. It worked out, though, and after all that I end up with, of all things, ... a job in IT! But I love working with computers so it worked out for me. I'm probably one of the few people crazy enough to work with computers all day and yet still rush back to my home PC after work!

As far as reading math texts, I have long desired to do it, but I've just had other topics that have been more interesting (like Warped Passages by Lisa Randall, which is an awesome book, and her talks and interviews are fascinating as well!) Mostly, in terms of tech reading, I read computer materials. And, despite my love of e-books, I generally prefer to read on paper when I can. I even print out sections of online manuals for that purpose. But at least with the advent of paperless manuals, I have the option of loading up my tablet with materials to read. When I was in school, way back when, I learned to study off paper, so that may be the reason for my preference. But paper still seems easier to handle and is slightly easier on my eyes.

I've also found that, thanks to folks like Kovid, while you can read technical texts on the Sony Reader if you have decent eyesight (for example, I am reading Warped Passages there), I really prefer to read technical books on a tablet pc. As mentioned previously, e-ink seems to work great for something you read beginning to end, but navigation is a bit slow and clumsy for books that you jump around in. A laptop would be great if you don't get eyestrain from it, but the form factor is not the best. Believe it or not, there is a HUGE difference between looking up at a screen on a laptop versus the flat form of a tablet on a desk or lap. I can't read a book on a desktop display or laptop, but with a tablet it's great. The only issues are heat (depending on the tablet model), battery life (which is getting better all the time, but some cheaper models only get a couple of hours), visibility in outdoor sunlight (newer screens are often pretty decent for this now) and weight (they are generally pretty heavy still, especially when a convertible form with keyboard instead of a slate form factor).

But the best solution might be on the way. I'm really looking forward to the rise of cheaper UMPCs/MIDs with longer battery life and nice screens. I think that sort of device will be perfect for technical reading, and priced more reasonably than a $2000 tablet pc.

Andy (recycledelectron) - you'll have to let us know how it goes for you with a UMPC if you go that way. When you choose, watch out for battery life and memory/processor speed. But if you know the limitations, it sounds like a perfect choice. And when the next generation lower-power faster mobile processors come out, things will really get interesting whether the market goes Windows or Linux!

BTW, off topic, do any of you folks know how the Hadron collider is progressing? I'd sure love to know when results of experiments might start coming in. I hope the popular press covers the progress of those upcoming experiments. It's a race for fame now between Fermilab and Hadron for potential discovery of the Higgs Boson, isn't it? So maybe the Fermilab folks wouldn't mind a little more time before Hadron goes online...
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote