Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #1
fifth
fifth began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
K3 almost lost response while reading large (10+M) pdf

When I was reading 10+m pdf for a short while, then moving to next/previous page turned to be really slow, looked like K3 lost response and it might resume after 10+ seconds or never.
And I found that if I got back to home or restart k3 at that moment, it might work in proper speed for another several pages, then went slowly again.

Somebody said they didn't have such problem. What's problem with my k3? Is that common issue with k3?

btw, my k3 is wifi only, FW version is official 3.0.1, only jailbreak and font hack were applied.

thx
fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
It depends on the PDF file as a more complicated PDF will need more memory and CPU to display. PDFs can have many distinct layers which are put together to actually display an individual page. The publisher or generator of the PDF file should ideally merge them all into one so save space and make it easier to display but that doesn't always happen. Size of the PDF file doesn't tell you everything.

In short, don't expect lightning fast PDF page turns if you've got a very complicated PDF.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 12:41 AM   #3
fifth
fifth began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
It depends on the PDF file as a more complicated PDF will need more memory and CPU to display. PDFs can have many distinct layers which are put together to actually display an individual page. The publisher or generator of the PDF file should ideally merge them all into one so save space and make it easier to display but that doesn't always happen. Size of the PDF file doesn't tell you everything.

In short, don't expect lightning fast PDF page turns if you've got a very complicated PDF.
thx, I've no idea about if my pdf is too complicated, however, someone could properly review the same pdf file, that defeated me
So I'm thinking of it may be a problem of k3.

Anyway, I'll try to find a tool to simplify my pdf.
fifth is offline   Reply With Quote