Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-10-2010, 01:40 AM   #1
Anders Eriksson
Connoisseur
Anders Eriksson doesn't litterAnders Eriksson doesn't litter

Device: a blue Opus
No one uses Opus for reading borrowed books?

Hello,
In another thread I was asking a question about reading borrowed library books, but after 115 views but with no answer;

I draw the conclusion that no one uses Opus for reading borrowed books
Anders Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:38 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Nope, there is no borowing e-book service where I live.

The opus don't have a way to sat date. I guess that would be a problem.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #3
Anders Eriksson
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Nope, there is no borowing e-book service where I live.

The opus don't have a way to sat date. I guess that would be a problem.
Thank you for answering!

I saw the thread
"Read Borrowed Library Books on the Cybook - How to Fix the Date"

last active 2008 so I thought the bugs where fixed in the latest version.

I am searching for "the perfect" 5 inch device for reading borrowed epub's

So I have to continue the search, a pity the latest colored devices looks really nice
Old 05-11-2010, 03:29 AM   #4
Jovvi
Connoisseur
Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Cybook Opus, iPad and HTC Wildfire (Android)
O yes, I do use it for reading borrowed epubs (I am a librarian after all), but the selection is sadly small in swedish librarys, a problem soon to be fixed I hope. The Opus works quite well for borrowed epubs (possible for mobis if you change firmware version. I love the Opus but I also love to own my books.

Clara
Jovvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:49 AM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovvi View Post
O yes, I do use it for reading borrowed epubs (I am a librarian after all), but the selection is sadly small in swedish librarys.

Clara
In Spain the selection is none
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
Anders Eriksson
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
In Spain the selection is none
It will come if there are simple and good e-readers that ordinary people (not just technical interested people, like most people at this forum) get to see and hear about, then the demand will increase for also library ebooks!

I am making publicity for e-reading at my work, and there are allot of colleagues that are interested but that are not completely convinced yet to buy one.
I had big hope that the Opus would be a "perfect" device to show, but I am really disappointed that "days left"/"expire date" is NOT shown on the device
Old 05-11-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Eriksson View Post
It will come if there are simple and good e-readers that ordinary people (not just technical interested people, like most people at this forum) get to see and hear about, then the demand will increase for also library ebooks!
In Spain, they're now at a lot of places, but they are difficult to use (real difficult except in some cases).

Quote:
I am making publicity for e-reading at my work, and there are allot of colleagues that are interested but that are not completely convinced yet to buy one.
I know a lot of people who have them, not at technical forums but reader forums.

Quote:
I had big hope that the Opus would be a "perfect" device to show, but I am really disappointed that "days left"/"expire date" is NOT shown on the device
Well, after I have seen others and I have listened about others, I think that's the lesser problem (annoying, yes, but not so bad).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #8
Jovvi
Connoisseur
Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would like that funktion too, but no device is perfect yet, the best you can do is think carefully before getting one, and if at all possible try to ask people that own various devices about the strong or not so strong features of each...

I do my best to promote ebooks and ebook reading and a lot of people are interested. At my job (I work at a small community library) I talk about them all the time, I almost always have both my Cybooks with me (the Opus for reading of course) but also the Gen 3, and I let people handle them and ask questions. The library also have bought two readers, a iRiver Story and a PRS 600. I choose those because I think the library should show as many different readers as possible to people that are interested in ereading to help them make informed choices.

I also talk a lot about them, I have been invited to speak at a few librarys (for the staff mostly but also for the public) and I was in an article in the "big" local paper, Corren, when the two biggest internet bookstores in Sweden, Adlibris and Bokus started selling readers and ebooks.

I think it will take time for people to change their reading habits and it won´t happen if the selection of books in native languages won´t improve...

For me that do most of my reading in english their is a good selection (once you get around GR anyway) but most swedes want to read in swedish and I guess its the same for other countrys, such as Spain...

Clara

Last edited by Jovvi; 05-11-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:42 PM   #9
Anders Eriksson
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovvi View Post
I would like that funktion too, but no device is perfect yet, the best you can do is think carefully before getting one, and if at all possible try to ask people that own various devices about the strong or not so strong features of each...

I do my best to promote ebooks and ebook reading and a lot of people are interested. At my job (I work at a small community library) I talk about them all the time, I almost always have both my Cybooks with me (the Opus for reading of course) but also the Gen 3, and I let people handle them and ask questions. The library also have bought two readers, a iRiver Story and a PRS 600. I choose those because I think the library should show as many different readers as possible to people that are interested in ereading to help them make informed choices.

I also talk a lot about them, I have been invited to speak at a few librarys (for the staff mostly but also for the public) and I was in an article in the "big" local paper, Corren, when the two biggest internet bookstores in Sweden, Adlibris and Bokus started selling readers and ebooks.

I think it will take time for people to change their reading habits and it won´t happen if the selection of books in native languages won´t improve...

For me that do most of my reading in english their is a good selection (once you get around GR anyway) but most swedes want to read in swedish and I guess its the same for other countrys, such as Spain...

Clara
Hej igen Clara!

It was a pity that Adlibris went for promoting ebooks/ereaders by selling the "Letto" a re-branded BeBook one, for 150 Euro, a good price but old and slow and difficult menus etc => bad reviews in the press.
It was such a hype, and they had a real good opportunity but now all there forums seems dead and I was asking if they where planning to sell the latest colored Opus and got the answer that they don't have any plans to get any more readers

It is really important to show a simple well working ereader that should not compete with smart-phones and other similar devices in features, and show how easy it is to borrow ebooks and to buy.

The Geographical Restrictions is a real stopper

First it was the screens, then came eink devices

Then all the different formats, then came epub

But now I think GR is the biggest problem for people outside USA
and now also UK
Old 05-12-2010, 05:00 PM   #10
Jovvi
Connoisseur

Yes, i agree that it was sad with the so-called Letto... However I still have hope but it is going to take some time. I think in countrys such as Sweden, the biggest threat to ereading is the shortage of books in swedish (or other native language) because even if a few dedicared readers like myself do enjoy reading in english I don´t think most people do... They want to read in a language they understands well. Also it is quite difficult to demonstrate and speak well of the benefits of ebook lending att the library when there is hardly any titles available and most of those that are available is older books.

However nowadays audiobooks is really popular, but it took a long time for them to to become so... I will give it some time.

Still I can not understand the publishers reluctance with ebooks, it´s not like pbooks will go away any time soon (if ever). I am hoping that the iPad will change that (not because I nessesarily thinks iPad is ideal for reading ebooks) because thr ublishers will think that everything Apple touches turn to gold...

Clara
Old 05-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #11
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I use my Cybook Opus for borrowing epub books from the NY Public Library.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
Fia
Fia began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus
I borrow books from Stockholms stadsbibliotek and read them on my Opus (the "old" white one) and as long as the books are in epub-format it has worked flawlessly. Pdf books work sometimes, and sometimes not (see my thread about my problems with pdf books)

I have not tried any other pdf books but the ones borrowed from the library, so I don't know if the problem lies in the reader or in the files themselves.
Fia is offline   Reply With Quote