Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-22-2016, 06:45 PM   #1
dylan_k
dylan_k began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Question Customizing the Generate Cover results

I really enjoy the way that the "generate cover" button will build something from a variety of presets. (I also like the options available with the generate cover plugin, but this question is about the built-in functionality, available via the "edit metadata" view) I'm exploring how to customize the options, but I have some questions.

My questions are about what functionality might be available in addition to what's available after clicking that tiny arrow to see the options for cover generation settings.

1. Is it possible to use different fonts, at different weights, for the various parts of the cover such as title, subtitle, and footer?

2. Can the placement of the text be configured at all?

I'm thinking to set up something like the generated covers that Google Books used to use, where the main difference is a color background (See top row below).

Spoiler:

Another simple cover I could imagine doing would resemble the layout afforded by the Tufte Style Book package for LaTeX:

Spoiler:

... but these would require some more control over the output. Are there options for placement, typeface weight, and multiply colored text blocks?

Last edited by dylan_k; 02-22-2016 at 06:59 PM. Reason: clarity, detail
dylan_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:55 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
There is a tiny arrow on the Generate Cover Button.: Right click it
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2016, 06:58 PM   #3
dylan_k

My questions are about what functionality might be available in addition to what's available after clicking that tiny arrow to see the options for cover generation settings.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:53 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan_k View Post
AFAIK what you see when you do a long press on the little arrow is what there is, viz

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	506
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	146624

If you want more features you could make a formal Enhancement Request here ==> Bugs : calibre

There's a collection of blank covers here ==>> [Custom Covers] Blanks, Templates. . . they can be used with the Generate Cover PI. That thread also has some directions on using PIXLR to make cover blanks and covers, similarly there are some for using The GIMP.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:20 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can customize all fonts and font sizes. You cannot customize placement of text, since that is highly dependent on the background style used. If you want to create more styles, you would need to modify the file ebooks/covers.py in the calibre source code.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2016, 12:29 PM   #6
dylan_k

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You cannot customize placement of text, since that is highly dependent on the background style used. If you want to create more styles, you would need to modify the file ebooks/covers.py in the calibre source code.
Thank you for pointing me in that direction. I'll give it a try and see what I come up with.

Tags
cover, design, image