Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-19-2015, 05:31 PM   #1
McFistPunch
McFistPunch began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Cannot turn off pinch to zoom

I recently updated my kobo aura to version 3.17. Ever since I have done this change the font size has occasionally caused my ereader to reset. This also happens when I accidentally pinch and zoom. I tried turning off pinch to zoom but the feature is still enabled. Has anyone else had this problem or knows a solution to it?
McFistPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:32 PM   #2
Desdinova
Eternal light
Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, Touch, H2O - now Aura One and Kindle Oasis 3
The firmware patch in the developer section can switch off the pinch to zoom - perhaps try that? Sounds like perhaps the update may need to be re-applied perhaps?
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2015, 05:35 PM   #3
McFistPunch

I tried factory reset to reupdate it but that has not fixed the problem. I was trying to figure out a way to downgrade to a previous firmware but I have no idea how to do it.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:37 PM   #4
Desdinova
Eternal light
Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFistPunch View Post
I tried factory reset to reupdate it but that has not fixed the problem. I was trying to figure out a way to downgrade to a previous firmware but I have no idea how to do it.

Go to the developer forum here there's a thread to get firmware

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660

Download the relevant file, unzip it and copy the files inside to the folder .kobo on the internal memory of the Aura
Old 08-19-2015, 05:37 PM   #5
Desdinova
Eternal light

MURG posted this on that thread

Installation Instructions for Direct Zip Files
You can also grab a copy while the Kobo Desktop is downloading it.

On Windows 7, it downloads the firmware update zip file to :

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition
and it is mirrored in:
C:\Users\<user>\Local Settings\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition

This file is deleted when the eReader is finished being updated, so if you want a copy of it, copy the zip file while it is updating the eReader.

In fact, make a few copies while it is being downloaded from Kobo, to ensure that the zip file is completely downloaded.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Installation Instructions for Direct Zip Files
Get a zip file.
Unzip the zip file. This may not be necessary on more modern versions of Windows, as you can access the contents of a zip file without unzipping it.
If going to a previous version, you may want to do a Factory Reset.
If you have any patches installed, you may want to uninstall them. Please refer to any documentation for the patch for more information.
Make sure that the Kobo Desktop is NOT running.
Connect your device to the computer and select Connect on the device (if asked).
Copy the entire contents of the zip file to the .kobo directory on the device. Do not copy the original zip file itself to the device.
Safely remove the device from Windows (or your operating system of choice).
Disconnect the device from your computer.
The device will now install the new software.

The zip file contains the following:
\Upgrade directory and subdirectories - Linux boot and kernel
manifest.md5sum - md5 hashes for the \Upgrade directory
KoboRoot.tgz - this is the firmware
Advert
Old 08-19-2015, 05:48 PM   #6
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:

do a factory reset again and then sideload firmware 3.16.0 use the Mark 6 Hardware : Glo HD from this link, it works fine for me on my kobo Aura, no pinch and zoom or sickle or kepub problems with this version of the firmware

http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...d.php?t=185660

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:57 PM   #7
McFistPunch

Thank you so much. Fixed my problem with the downgrade to 2.8.0. Is there a firmware that is overall regarded as the "best" or is it more a matter of personal preference?
Old 08-19-2015, 06:04 PM   #8
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you so much. Fixed my problem with the downgrade to 2.8.0. Is there a firmware that is overall regarded as the "best" or is it more a matter of personal preference?

for me it's the one i have already mentioned in my first post, ive been using it since it was first released back in june without any issues, and for the time being at least i intend on sticking with it, if the roof isn't leaking then there is no need to fix it

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 08-19-2015 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:04 PM   #9
Desdinova
Eternal light

Quote:
I think it may be personal? Tried 3.15? Some people seem to favour that
Old 08-20-2015, 03:16 AM   #10
fseraphine
fseraphine began at the beginning.

Unhappy Same here en 3.15

Hello,

I've had this bug since 3.15 on my Kobo Aura.

I phoned to kobo support and they don't acknowlege the bug.

I've tried reset, factory reset to no avail. It seems to fix the bug but it reappears sometime after the reset (after the first sync I reckon).

Does someone have a solution ?
fseraphine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:21 AM   #11
Desdinova
Eternal light

I'm on 3.17 and I have P2Z switched off and it seems to stay off - but I'm reading Kepubs mostly so thats why I probably havent seen it but I do have the odd epub and tested and yes its there...

Weird one
Old 08-20-2015, 10:19 AM   #12
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdinova View Post
I'm on 3.17 and I have P2Z switched off and it seems to stay off - but I'm reading Kepubs mostly so thats why I probably havent seen it but I do have the odd epub and tested and yes its there...

Weird one

where is the pinch to zoom setting? all i can see is pinch to adjust font size.

best wishes koboy
Old 08-20-2015, 12:15 PM   #13
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I recently updated my kobo aura to version 3.17. Ever since I have done this change the font size has occasionally caused my ereader to reset. This also happens when I accidentally pinch and zoom. I tried turning off pinch to zoom but the feature is still enabled. Has anyone else had this problem or knows a solution to it?
This bug was introduced in version 3.15 and remains unresolved. For that reason, I'll be staying with the 3.12.1 firmware.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:17 PM   #14
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
do a factory reset again and then sideload firmware 3.16.0 use the Mark 6 Hardware : Glo HD from this link, it works fine for me on my kobo Aura, no pinch and zoom or sickle or kepub problems with this version of the firmware

http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...d.php?t=185660

best wishes koboy
Someone in another thread mentioned that this bug only appears when reading a sideloaded epub, and I can confirm that as of 3.17.3, the bug has not been fixed.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:18 PM   #15
the.Mtn.Man
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
where is the pinch to zoom setting? all i can see is pinch to adjust font size.
Folks refer to that as "pinch to zoom" since it's easier to type than "pinch to adjust font size", although I suppose it does make things a little confusing.