Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-20-2014, 05:17 AM   #1
Elvis1977
Elvis1977 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Deleting books

Hi,

As far as i can see this question hasn't been asked yet.

I recently got a Kobo Aura and have Calibre installed on my Mac. All of my books are in Calibre. Getting all of my books onto my Aura is not a problem.

But, when I want to delete a book i've finished, I seem to have to delete it twice: from my Calibre library and then from my Aura. This seems illogical.

Am I missing a way to sync my books from my Calibre library to my Aura, like iTunes does?

Thanks for your advice!
Elvis1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:20 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Why do you want to delete the book from the Calibre library?

You might want to look at the Reading List plugin as this provides an easy way to maintain a list of books that should be on a particular device and manage syncing them.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2014, 06:08 AM   #3
Elvis1977

Well, I figure if I don't delete the books i've finished my library will become very cluttered. And I like things tidy ;-)
Old 08-20-2014, 07:28 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Rather than removing from calibre, you could just create a custom column, say "Have I Read This" and set it to "Yes" when read. Then, create two virtual libraries in calibre based on that column. One to show only the books you HAVE read and .... one to show those you have NOT read.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:46 AM   #5
Elvis1977

Thanks for the tip. However, it seems like a rather complicated way to get rid of books I've read, and will never need again. I wish there was a simpler (apple-like) way to do this...
Advert
Old 08-20-2014, 07:49 AM   #6
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis1977 View Post
Thanks for the tip. However, it seems like a rather complicated way to get rid of books I've read, and will never need again. I wish there was a simpler (apple-like) way to do this...
There's a way, at least in Kobo devices. Connect the device and, when the book is marked as it is in device, remove the book in the library. calibre will give you the option to:
  • Remove in the library
  • Remove in the device
  • Remove in both of them
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:25 AM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You're probably in the minority then of people who never want to reread a book....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #8
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Well, I figure if I don't delete the books i've finished my library will become very cluttered. And I like things tidy ;-)
You're free to delete the book if you want. That's up to you. Understand though that there WILL come a day when you're looking for a book you once read, maybe to read it again, maybe to look up something. If you don't have a backup stored somewhere, you'll wish you hadn't deleted it.

PeterT's suggestion of using virtual libraries is good, but if that's still not tidy enough for you, you can create a second library and move your previously read books to it. Once you set it up initially then switch back to your main library, you never have to actually open your "previously read" library again, so it's completely out of the way until that day comes (and it WILL come) when you want to find that old book you read a long time ago.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:54 PM   #9
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Don't have a mac and don't know iTunes, but would it really delete a file from my computer if I delete it for example on my tablet? That must be support nightmare for apple then?
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:43 AM   #10
pjmpjm
Zealot
pjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Fire HD 10
To Read or Not To Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Rather than removing from calibre, you could just create a custom column, say "Have I Read This" and set it to "Yes" when read. Then, create two virtual libraries in calibre based on that column. One to show only the books you HAVE read and .... one to show those you have NOT read.
Excellent idea! Many thanks.
pjmpjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:44 AM   #11
pjmpjm
Zealot
pjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchfork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
There's a way, at least in Kobo devices. Connect the device and, when the book is marked as it is in device, remove the book in the library. calibre will give you the option to:
  • Remove in the library
  • Remove in the device
  • Remove in both of them
These are the options I receive from Calibre when I'm connected to my Kindle Fire. Seems to work well.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:02 AM   #12
Elvis1977

Indeed, when my reader is connected, then I do get the option to delete the book from both my library and my device. I guess for me that's the simplest way about it.

Thanks for all your tips!
Old 08-27-2014, 12:24 AM   #13
Inferno
Connoisseur
Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablets
Quote:
LOL I have almost 90 000 books in my library and it's "tidy" although that is a work in progress as I go through authors and change tags etc when I have time.

By tidy I mean the authors are always spelt the same, duplicates either removed or have a reason (such as edition with differences or different translator).

I am one who enjoys going back to old favorites occasionally Like visiting an old friend to pick up a book read many times.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:49 AM   #14
pjmpjm
Zealot

How Many Books in Your Library?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
LOL I have almost 90 000 books in my library and it's "tidy" although that is a work in progress as I go through authors and change tags etc when I have time.
Someone recently expressed surprise that I had collected nearly 6000 books in my Calibre Library, but now that total seems quite modest . . .
Old 08-31-2014, 02:14 AM   #15
Inferno
Connoisseur
Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablets
I've been reading books in eformat since the late 90s and am a collector. At one time in the early days I had a php script that did a decent job changing txt to html. Pity I lost it when my system crashed, the zip disk with a backup failed (as did the zip drive I had lol) and the cd's (first gen rewritable) I had my utilities on both failed to read. Teach me not to have more backups and better organized backups of things I don't want to loose.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote