Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-19-2016, 11:06 PM   #1
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Authors Guild on Small Copyright Claims Court Legislation

Small Copyright Claims Court Legislation, Long Supported by Authors Guild, Introduced by Rep. Jeffries
Quote:
Today Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY), a member of the House Judiciary Committee, introduced a bill, entitled the Copyright Alternative in Small-Claims Enforcement (CASE) Act of 2016, H.R. 5757, that would establish an accessible and efficient forum to resolve “small” copyright claims. The legislation, co-sponsored by Rep. Tom Marino (R-PA), would allow individual authors to protect their intellectual property rights without having to file expensive and complicated federal lawsuits.

The Authors Guild has been actively advocating for a small copyright claims court since 2006, when we testified before the House Judiciary Committee about the need for such a venue, citing an Authors Guild survey that revealed most authors do not have effective access to the courts for many of their copyright infringement claims. As the threats to authors’ copyright incentives have increased since that time—due to the growth of digital book piracy and courts’ reluctance to enforce digital rights—so have our efforts to establish a small claims court. The Guild has been working with Congressman Jeffries’ office on this proposal for several months. It deals with many of the difficult issues involved with creating an effective small copyright claims tribunal.
https://www.authorsguild.org/industr...-rep-jeffries/

Mods: Wasn't sure if this needed to go into the P&R forum or not. If so, please move.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:29 AM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Try this:

http://www.thepassivevoice.com/2016/...ims-an-update/

It's not a good thing.
Mostly because the "court" would be three guys in DC.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2016, 09:17 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
In otherwords: they're looking for a faster-responding, three-person, rights-holder-friendly, "yes man" in D.C. to help shortcut due-process when it comes to questions of copyright infringement.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-20-2016 at 09:19 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:15 AM   #4
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
In otherwords: they're looking for a faster-responding, three-person, rights-holder-friendly, "yes man" in D.C. to help shortcut due-process when it comes to questions of copyright infringement.
Like the article linked above says, the devil is in the details.

It sounds like a great idea on the surface. I'm all for giving the little guy better and cheaper access to the courts.
Having had to deal with the county superior court this past week, on a matter that was personally significant but not worth a lot of money, I can tell you the current system is sorely lacking.

Last edited by ApK; 07-20-2016 at 10:17 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I agree that the system IS lacking for "The Little Guy" (but only to a certain extent). But on the other hand, "The Big Guys'" advantages are already too many. The ability to initiate takedown notices (either manually, or or auto-bot-ically) that are then acted upon with no investigative oversight (a la the Hugos' live stream being shut down for showing a clip of the Dr. Who episode they were giving an award to) is a step too far already. A rights-holder-friendly committee in D.C. would grant them even more autonomy in being able to "self-police" their own interests, in my opinion.

I understand that the legal system can seem to move too slowly in this digital rights age. I just don't believe that making it even easier/quicker for rights-holders to move against possible infringers is the right answer. There's too much room for abuse the other direction. Such as the bullying or villification of consumers over fair-use disputes. The takedown notice is already too often the beginning and the end of any dispute in my mind. Which 3-man tribunal does the consumer turn to when their fair-use rights get stomped on by an ISP who's just blindly honoring a takedown notice initiated by a party who is the least capable of exhibiting any impartiality on the subject?

It is my opinion that these issues should never be handled quickly and/or easily. Matters of rights-infringement should be exhaustively deliberate, IMO. Get to the right decision, not the fast one. There are always at least two parties involved in any copyright infringement dispute. Any legislation that makes it easier for the same "side" to always get its own way is fraught with peril in my book.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-20-2016 at 11:24 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2016, 12:18 PM   #6
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Small Copyright Claims Court Legislation, Long Supported by Authors Guild, Introduced by Rep. Jeffries

https://www.authorsguild.org/industr...-rep-jeffries/

I believe that this is on the whole a good thing.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:08 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Take down notices should never be allowed by bot. It should only be allowed by human. There are too many mistakes with bots.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:19 PM   #8
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Like the article linked above says, the devil is in the details.

It sounds like a great idea on the surface. I'm all for giving the little guy better and cheaper access to the courts.
Having had to deal with the county superior court this past week, on a matter that was personally significant but not worth a lot of money, I can tell you the current system is sorely lacking.
No. It sounds like a corrupt usurpation of due process even at the most casual glance.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:16 PM   #9
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
No. It sounds like a corrupt usurpation of due process even at the most casual glance.
No, smaller claims are due less onerous process. That's why small claims court exists.

Last edited by ApK; 07-20-2016 at 09:19 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:47 AM   #10
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
No, smaller claims are due less onerous process. That's why small claims court exists.
So is this going to be "tiny claims court"?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:48 AM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I agree that the system IS lacking for "The Little Guy" (but only to a certain extent). But on the other hand, "The Big Guys'" advantages are already too many. The ability to initiate takedown notices (either manually, or or auto-bot-ically) that are then acted upon with no investigative oversight (a la the Hugos' live stream being shut down for showing a clip of the Dr. Who episode they were giving an award to) is a step too far already. A rights-holder-friendly committee in D.C. would grant them even more autonomy in being able to "self-police" their own interests, in my opinion.

I understand that the legal system can seem to move too slowly in this digital rights age. I just don't believe that making it even easier/quicker for rights-holders to move against possible infringers is the right answer. There's too much room for abuse the other direction. Such as the bullying or villification of consumers over fair-use disputes. The takedown notice is already too often the beginning and the end of any dispute in my mind. Which 3-man tribunal does the consumer turn to when their fair-use rights get stomped on by an ISP who's just blindly honoring a takedown notice initiated by a party who is the least capable of exhibiting any impartiality on the subject?

It is my opinion that these issues should never be handled quickly and/or easily. Matters of rights-infringement should be exhaustively deliberate, IMO. Get to the right decision, not the fast one. There are always at least two parties involved in any copyright infringement dispute. Any legislation that makes it easier for the same "side" to always get its own way is fraught with peril in my book.

The article does say that use is voluntary by both parties and does not supersede the right to a jury trial. My question is what problem is this suppose to solve? Is there really a big need for this?
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:53 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
The article does say that use is voluntary by both parties and does not supersede the right to a jury trial.
Then what use is it? Because if it's voluntary, I don't see any big company willing to use it unless they think it's to their advantage.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:51 AM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Then what use is it? Because if it's voluntary, I don't see any big company willing to use it unless they think it's to their advantage.
This.

If copyright thieves were willing to listen to optional Alternative Dispute Resolution channels, there are plenty available already. But generally speaking, they won't be.

Such methods only work if both sides are willing to accept the judgment. That is kind of the point.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:00 PM   #14
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
This.

If copyright thieves were willing to listen to optional Alternative Dispute Resolution channels, there are plenty available already. But generally speaking, they won't be.

Such methods only work if both sides are willing to accept the judgment. That is kind of the point.
That's kind of my point. It's not of any use against hard core pirates and probably won't be of any use for the border line fair use cases, so what exactly is the problem they are trying to solve with this? Some guy posting a copyrighted material on some site?
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:36 PM   #15
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
So is this going to be "tiny claims court"?

Shari
It'll only be for alleged copyright violations of short stories or jingles.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote