Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-15-2014, 06:36 PM   #16
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
so is the £5 one look on amazon marketplace
I don't know where you're getting leather cases for £5 but the $13 cases listed on Amazon are PU leather, a synthetic leather which is not nearly as durable as leather. There's no comparison. That being said, I bought one of the $13 cases and and happy with it.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #17
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcLaren View Post
I don't know where you're getting leather cases for £5 but the $13 cases listed on Amazon are PU leather, a synthetic leather which is not nearly as durable as leather. There's no comparison. That being said, I bought one of the $13 cases and and happy with it.
That said, the kobo case is a stronger better fit regardless of its composition leather or pleather. The ones on Amazon ebay while serviceable and decent enough fit don't quite fit as good as the OEM case via Kobo.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:30 PM   #18
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcLaren View Post
ok - so looking back I see that i actually paid £6.99 on ebay, not amazon, and the item was:
ULTRA THIN PU LEATHER SMART CASE COVER FOR NEW KOBO AURA HD WITH SLEEP WAKE....

I saw the word leather & assumed it comes from a cow. is that not so ?

should I ask to see the hooves next time ?

anyway, it was a perfect fit, but I have reverted to reading without an attached cover, I prefer the lighter weight of holding only the reader, though I miss having the auto sleep/wake feature

The ~£5 was for the pouch which I bought for the Kobo arc tablet, ~ the same time.
AZTEC Tribal Case for KOBO ARC, ARC 7, ARC HD Neoprene Retro Pouch Cover UK £4.95

Last edited by cybmole; 06-16-2014 at 02:38 PM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #19
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
I saw the word leather & assumed it comes from a cow. is that not so ?
Here you go...
http://www.ebay.com/gds/PU-LEATHER-C...8377991/g.html
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #20
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
As already said "PU Leather" is not real leather, it's a synthetic substitute.

However, I know all of my covers, even for my old Sonys, are fake leather, and they're holding up just fine. I've no doubt the fake leather covers will far outlive the devices themselves.

I wouldn't be too concerned with real or fake leather, as long as it's in a style, design and color that you like. For myself, I just can't see paying almost half the cost of the reader just for a cover when a $10 cover will serve the same purpose and do it just as well.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:07 PM   #21
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have a friend with 4 small loveable children. After numerous broken screens etc. I advised him to always buy the extended warranty. I don't buy them myself, but sometimes it is worth it. Most small children can defeat cover protection.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:18 PM   #22
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
I'm so lucky. In total, I've had 13 devices with screens. Only ONE broke, and that was an LG phone falling 3 feet off my bed onto my carpeted floor.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:29 PM   #23
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
I'm so lucky. In total, I've had 13 devices with screens. Only ONE broke, and that was an LG phone falling 3 feet off my bed onto my carpeted floor.
Good for you. The way it should be.

Helen
Old 06-17-2014, 06:09 PM   #24
bobstro
Zealot
bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014,Hisense Sero Pro 7,Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini
I spent a lot of time debating whether the added bulk of a case would be worth it for my Kobo Mini. I opted to go without. I thought it met its end when I realized the cap on the plastic bottle of tea I'd been drinking was loose when I dropped it into a plastic bag and my poor Mini had spent 20 minutes immersed.

I popped the cover off and let it dry for a couple of days before trying to power it on. Fortunately, it came up. It had one cycle of not wanting to turn on a couple of weeks later, but seems to have fully recovered.

I think the moral is: Buy an extended warranty with accident protection if you want protection against any eventuality, or live without and take your chances. I came so close to buying a replacement Aura that I'm OK living without insurance.
bobstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:02 PM   #25
speakingtohe
Wizard

My friend with the 4 children is a special case.
4 laptops, an Xbox, 3 ipods in less than 5 years. Those are only the ones I am aware of and laptop number 4 is 5 months old and going in for repair.
Oh and 2 TVs.

So for him it seems sensible, although whether he will do it I don't know as money is tight.

He never whines about it though.

Helen
Old 06-17-2014, 09:46 PM   #26
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Maybe I'm just closer to OLD than I'd like, but somehow my brother and I never managed to so much as seriously scratch a TV as kids -and there were no laptops, unless you counted Battleship. But, in fairness they had us on weight alone back then... Plus, we just plain KNEW BETTER! Clear rules backed by fear and intimidation can perform miracles...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:01 AM   #27
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Maybe I'm just closer to OLD than I'd like, but somehow my brother and I never managed to so much as seriously scratch a TV as kids -and there were no laptops, unless you counted Battleship. But, in fairness they had us on weight alone back then... Plus, we just plain KNEW BETTER! Clear rules backed by fear and intimidation can perform miracles...
My friend and his wife are both aboriginal and have only 1 year of high school between them. They both work 6 days a week and their children are AFAICS healthy, happy and the two in school are doing pretty well. I admire them despite the broken electronics

Helen
Old 06-19-2014, 02:46 PM   #28
pietro
Enthusiast
pietro began at the beginning.

Device: prs-t1, kobo auraHD
i bought on amazon uk a "leather" case, auto-sleep for 8.95GBP and seems real leather to me - not only looks like but smells like and am very happy with it
pietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:48 PM   #29
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
My friend and his wife are both aboriginal and have only 1 year of high school between them. They both work 6 days a week and their children are AFAICS healthy, happy and the two in school are doing pretty well. I admire them despite the broken electronics

Helen
Heck, both of them working six days a week with that many kids that young, they're too tired to sweat the little stuff. I take it more as a commentary on how well things are built today. A 30-60some inch LCD TV made primarily out of plastic and a thin piece of glass is probably orders of magnitude more likely to be damaged compared to the brick outhouse TVs of my youth.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:37 PM   #30
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
and to complicate the leather/synthetic leather issue ... there's also saffiano leather, used in higher-end handbags, such as Prada, which is a stamped leather that has a waterproofing added to it, and which to some of us feel fake or plasticy. Some love it. But it looks more fake than synthetic leather to me, at least based on the two saffiano leather handbags I own.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken, screen