Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-10-2019, 01:48 PM   #1
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

Ive been experiencing this problem recently, seems to be fairly common judging by search results but very few solutions posted. Ive tried 20 different cables, USB hubs, different USB ports etc but nothing works, every time I plug in the device and hit connect I get the "USB device has malfunctioned" error popup in Win 10 and under device manager a USB device with an error icon and "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" appears.

Has anyone actually solved this problem? Ive been using this pc for years on Win 10 with it no problem, it just decided to stop working one day...
Thargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:20 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
Ive been experiencing this problem recently, seems to be fairly common judging by search results but very few solutions posted. Ive tried 20 different cables, USB hubs, different USB ports etc but nothing works, every time I plug in the device and hit connect I get the "USB device has malfunctioned" error popup in Win 10 and under device manager a USB device with an error icon and "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" appears.

Has anyone actually solved this problem? Ive been using this pc for years on Win 10 with it no problem, it just decided to stop working one day...
One issue I've found is that once the device shows up with the unknown descriptor on a port, it will continue to use that descriptor until you remove the entry. Under Windows, I find NirSoft's USBDeView to be a handy tool for doing this.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2019, 05:29 PM   #3
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.

Already tried that with USBDeView, rebooted both devices and tried again, it just creates a new entry with the same error...
Old 08-10-2019, 07:56 PM   #4
karthikrr
Enthusiast
karthikrr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (N250) / Kobo Aura (N514) / Sony PRS 600
Different cables, hubs and ports, you said. Did you try a different PC?

In all cases where I had these issues, the problem was the USB controller in the PC rather than the device itself. Switching PCs usually worked, BUT it never worked again in the old PC.

I have had occasional success by deleting the USB controller items from the Device Manager and rebooting and letting Windows reinstall those drivers, but I wouldn't call this a solution, nor imply it will surely work.

BUT, in the cases where the PC controller was fine, this typically meant the device USB controller was dying/dead. Doesn't help, but this is all I know ...
karthikrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:16 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Across my devices, I find the Glo HD to be the fussiest of the Kobo devices. I have to use it with a different cable to all the others. Now, I could use that with the other devices, but, the cable like to use is actually two short cables with device in the middle that has a button to disconnect the device without unplugging the cable. Very handy when testing things. I was warned that this could drop the voltages a little and the Glo HD seems to be the only one that has an issue. It seems to connect OK, but once any strain is put on the connection, it drops off with the, from memory, "USB device has malfunctioned" error.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2020, 03:44 PM   #6
vinz3ntr
vinz3ntr began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura
ever found a solution to this?
vinz3ntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:18 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Not really. The Glo HD works perfectly with an older laptop. I just use it when I want to do anything with the Glo HD.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:00 AM   #8
Thargor
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinz3ntr View Post
ever found a solution to this?
No sorry, I bought a Forma.