Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-08-2016, 02:42 AM   #1
mercuree
mercuree began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Formatting of converted kepub not working on Kobo

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forums, so please accept my apologies if this is not the correct thread.

I used to use the Kobo app on my Android phone. I have now just bought a Kobo Glo and have uploaded a bunch of books to such using Calibre.

I have all of the Kobo plugins installed (utilities, metadata etc.) in Calibre.

I have set Calibre up so that it automatically converts imported files to the kepub format.

I checked a few books and all seems ok, initially.

I started reading a book last night, it works fine, can change font etc. But I have the following issues:
  • Pages start halfway down the page (so one page will start in the middle of the current page and end in the middle of the next page).
  • Annotations (by the author) are not distinguished from the rest of the text.
  • Some text seems to stay 'bold' even when changing the font. These will be random sentences, not in any way emphasized.
  • Sometimes words will be re ndere d l ik e t h is.

Is this all just related to my original epub? How can I verify/correct this? Is there some setting I need to set so that it renders correctly for my Glo?

I never really had this issue with my Android, but these are newly imported books so I am not sure..

TIA for any advice.
mercuree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:51 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
My immediate reaction is that they are problems with the epub versions. I would suggest sending them to the Glo as epubs and seeing what they look like. Other than that, we would have to see an sample of the book that wasn't working.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2016, 02:58 AM   #3
mercuree

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
My immediate reaction is that they are problems with the epub versions. I would suggest sending them to the Glo as epubs and seeing what they look like. Other than that, we would have to see an sample of the book that wasn't working.
Thank you for the prompt reply! I will try that and revert back.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:02 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Where did you get the offending book originally?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:09 AM   #5
mercuree

In the interim, is epub better than kepub? A guide I read said I should use kepub. Although I also see that the synopsis et al does not pull through. So will see if epub fixes this.

Can you recommend a 'getting started' guide for kobo and calibre? Basic settings etc. Or should it just work with the standard settings? I am very lazy and would just like to be able to import book, push to kobo. Done. haha
Advert
Old 01-08-2016, 03:16 AM   #6
mercuree

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Where did you get the offending book originally?
It was downloaded from the web. In epub format.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:18 AM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuree View Post
It was downloaded from the web. In epub format.
Project Gutenberg, a bookshop (which one?), somewhere else? Can you point us to it so that we can check it out for ourselves?

How does it look when you view it in a desktop viewer like the Calibre epub viewer?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:53 AM   #8
mercuree

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Project Gutenberg, a bookshop (which one?), somewhere else? Can you point us to it so that we can check it out for ourselves?

How does it look when you view it in a desktop viewer like the Calibre epub viewer?
Unfortunately I cannot remember where I downloaded it. Will have to try check browser history when I get home from work, or attach file.

Will check with calibre when i get home.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:06 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Will have to try check browser history when I get home from work, or attach file.

Will check with calibre when i get home.
@mercuree - please don't attach book if its under copyright protection and please don't violate the MR Posting Guidelines - in particular see ==>> 8. Links, Uploads, Copyright and DRM

If the book is still under copyright then you can make use of this plug in ==>> Scramble Ebook to scramble the text and post the output file.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:20 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
In the interim, is epub better than kepub? A guide I read said I should use kepub. Although I also see that the synopsis et al does not pull through. So will see if epub fixes this.
Kepub vs epub is a discussion that happens in the Kobo forum here from time to time. It's pretty much even as to which is best with two big exceptions. The kepub renderer handles footnote links a lot better (easier to tap, uses a popup) and can zoom on most images. If you are reading books with lots of images or footnotes, kepub is the way to go.
Quote:
Can you recommend a 'getting started' guide for kobo and calibre? Basic settings etc. Or should it just work with the standard settings? I am very lazy and would just like to be able to import book, push to kobo. Done. haha
I can't really think of one. My usual recommendation is:

- Put the books into calibre
- Connect the device
- Send some books
- Disconnect and read.

That's it, you don't need anything else. The driver will work out of the box with no changes in configuration. About the only option I would recommend setting straight away is the "Set Series information". That will put the series info on the device the next time it is connected.

Beyond that, you can look at Kobo_Shelves_and_Collections for how to configure the collections and metadata plugboard. And the first few posts in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=192863 describes the driver options and some usage.

Then ask questions. Here or the Kobo forum and someone will answer them. Or have a look at the other plugins.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, formatting, glo, kobo, page