Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-17-2015, 01:41 PM   #1
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Kobo Touch repeatedly unresponsive after update + reset?

My sister has been using my 'old' Touch ever since I have a Glo. She has been very happy with it until recently, when the Touch offered her an update which she accepted. After loading and restarting, the Touch went to the "Read on" screen and stayed there in off-mode. Sister left the Touch charging in a wall charger for a few days but still couldn't get the Touch to switch on. When sliding the switch, blue light flashed once and then nothing happened, and pin-hole nor home-button+slide nor home button + pin hole + slide did anything more than flash blue once (sometimes).

Sister brought the Touch back to me, and after a lot of unsuccessful tries, I left the Touch in a powerful wall charger for a day and eventually managed to get a response to factory reset: continuous blue-green-blue-green flashing for more than 15 minutes. I switched it "off" and tried another reset, which finally worked!

Then I set up the Kobo with my account as I didn't have Sister's details, let the Kobo Desktop software update the Touch to the latest firmware (this was Tuesday 15-Sep-2015), checked it was all still working, and then I switched the Touch off (unplugged from the charger), because it was bed time.

Today I decided to put all Sister's sideloaded books back onto the Touch. But! No response again! I spent a while trying all sorts, but nothing worked. I have now re-plugged into the wall charger and have managed to get the continuous blue-green-blue-green light flashing sequence. I will now try again and I suspect reset will work.

However: is there any point? Will it just freeze again as soon as it is turned off?

One thing I noticed: my sister had charged the Touch for days prior to giving it to me, and I charged it for another full 24 hours after that. When I finally did manage to wake it up and reset, the battery icon on the home screen showed an almost empty level (!). I just assumed the firmware didn't know what it was doing. But after the reset and update I watched it charge all the way till 80% and then I left it plugged in until it was full. I did unplug once it was full, but the Touch was off.

I would suspect the battery to stay near full for the two days it has been in off mode without cable... but instead the Touch LOOKED like the battery was completely drained. Is the battery broken?

On the other hand, the Touch did not switch on even after I plugged it in...

Any idea what's going on?

Edit to add:
It's an N905 Original Touch (mark 3), and I suspect it was the update to 3.17.3 of Aug 2015 after which the issues occurred...

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 09-17-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:55 PM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

...it LOOKS like the third reset fixed the strangeness... but there's no knowing until after I've left the device fully charged, unplugged and off for a few days...
Advert
Old 09-18-2015, 10:40 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Hopefully it will work, but the description sounds like the battery has failed. The N905 Touch is four years old and the battery will have aged. At the very least, it will have a noticeably reduced life. If you are lucky, it will still have some life and needs to be cycled a couple of times to recalibrate the battery meter.

Of course, I'd be using this as an excuse to upgrade
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 01:35 AM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

Of course, I'd be using this as an excuse to upgrade
Indeed! Good Advice!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:56 AM   #5
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Thanks David! So would I But you know, little sisters get attached to passed down presents from big sisters Oh wait... If I gave her my Glo... Hmmmmm
Advert
Old 09-19-2015, 05:23 AM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Oh wait... If I gave her my Glo... Hmmmmm
And that way everybody wins. Lil' Sis gets a new reader (at least new to her and from her Big Sis) and Big Sis gets a new reader. Win/win!

Personally I highly recommend the Glo HD if you want to stick to a 6" screen. The screen is absolutely beautiful on it, sharp crisp text. You'll see the difference alongside your Glo.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:13 AM   #7
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Oh no Ripplinger what have you done! I was perfectly happy with my Glo...

Thanks for the tip