Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-15-2011, 02:27 AM   #1
andyl
andyl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Hidden SSIDs

Hi,

I just got hold of a Kobo Wifi, after using the Kobo generic for a while. I didn't really need wireless access from the Kobo, but since I got a free upgrade I thought I'd try it out.

It seems the Kobo is not able to connect to a wireless network with a non-broadcast SSID, which is how mine is configured. A trivial security measure, I know. But every little helps.

I posted on the official Kobo support form over at http://kobo.zendesk.com and was informed that this was the case - Kobo Wifi cannot associate to hidden SSIDs.

Anybody else had similar problems? I did a quick search of this forum, but could find nothing concrete.

Cheers!
andyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:48 AM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Can you unhide your SSID, connect with your Kobo and then re-hide the SSID?

Once it has connected and had the security passkey added, the Kobo should be able to "see" the SSID even when hidden.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 03:30 AM   #3
andyl

Thanks for the suggestion.

Didn't work, unfortunately. When attempting to re-associate after a power cycle, the Kobo is unable to detect the network and doesn't attempt to re-join it. Dang.

Oh well - maybe they'll fix it in a future firmware release.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:42 AM   #4
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

What type or wireless router you have?
Not related to kobo ssid issue, I have small devices, which
all connect with hidden ssid and wpa2 and all frills. Simply,
cannot believe that kobo cannot make basic search.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyl View Post
Hi,

I just got hold of a Kobo Wifi, after using the Kobo generic for a while. I didn't really need wireless access from the Kobo, but since I got a free upgrade I thought I'd try it out.

It seems the Kobo is not able to connect to a wireless network with a non-broadcast SSID, which is how mine is configured. A trivial security measure, I know. But every little helps.

I posted on the official Kobo support form over at http://kobo.zendesk.com and was informed that this was the case - Kobo Wifi cannot associate to hidden SSIDs.

Anybody else had similar problems? I did a quick search of this forum, but could find nothing concrete.

Cheers!
This is true. We are enabling support for hidden SSID's in the next firmware update.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 01:18 PM   #6
kptel51
kptel51 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I had the same issue.As soon as i hide the SSID , Kobo will not connect.I have to show the SSID and reconfigure the security settings
Quote:
Hi,

Cheers!
kptel51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Hiding your SSID can actually hurt your security more than help it.

When your Windows computer is set up to connect to a hidden SSID, it will continually send probe requests with the SSID in them, even when the WiFi network isn't in range! So basically, all it takes is a few seconds with a sniffer to find your SSID - even when you're nowhere near your WiFi network.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
andyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
This is true. We are enabling support for hidden SSID's in the next firmware update.
Thanks Sameer - that'll be handy!
Old 02-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
andyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
Hiding your SSID can actually hurt your security more than help it.

When your Windows computer is set up to connect to a hidden SSID, it will continually send probe requests with the SSID in them, even when the WiFi network isn't in range! So basically, all it takes is a few seconds with a sniffer to find your SSID - even when you're nowhere near your WiFi network.
Point accepted, but I find I get a lot less failed auth attempts if the randoms can't easily see the network. I use it as a first level protection against low skill attackers.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #10
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Point accepted, but I find I get a lot less failed auth attempts if the randoms can't easily see the network. I use it as a first level protection against low skill attackers.
A well chosen WPA2 password will readily stop the low-skilled ones and avoid you exposing your SSID to the well-skilled ones.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #11
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
A well chosen WPA2 password will readily stop the low-skilled ones and avoid you exposing your SSID to the well-skilled ones.
Yup, couldn't agree more. I use https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm to generate 63 character random passwords. Very handy!
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hidden ssid, kobo wifi