Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-19-2020, 06:28 PM   #16
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Is it possible that your Aura One has a database corruption issue? If you have calibre with davidfor's KoboUtilities, you can use the Database => Check database to check for issues.

Even if nothing shows in the database check, you might want to try backing up your Kobo reading stats, etc., signing out of your Kobo account and then signing back in.

I'm not seeing this issue on a Forma, Clara HD or Aura One.
No errors found in the database using Davidfor's KoboUtilities in Calibre. Did the sign out / sign in for my kobo account on the device to rebuild the database anyway and this has resolved the problem, I can now read the library books I borrowed and they correctly display "expires in 13 days".

David!
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:37 PM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
This update did not fix the kepub regression with failing up update menus when changing from graphic to textual content, or vice versa.
Could you clarify what you mean please.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:39 PM   #18
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I don't know if this is what rashkae is referring to, but I've noticed arrows from the menus persisting after they are closed.
geek1011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:43 PM   #19
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Any sense of what this update changes yet?
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:47 PM   #20
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Any sense of what this update changes yet?
A few things I've noticed:
  • Highlighting now happens automatically, with an explicit option to remove the highlight (see the release notes).
  • The new auto-highlight feature will unhighlight if you search, which is good.
  • If you are signed into OverDrive, the bottom-left home link will change to an OverDrive one, and a notifications icon will appear in the status bar at the top (for hold notifications).
  • OverDrive holds can now be managed directly.
geek1011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:49 PM   #21
rockisdead
rockisdead began at the beginning.

Device: none
Upgrading on my Forma,let's see.
rockisdead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:04 PM   #22
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post

This was discussed at length in the previous firmware thread,, but for the sake of posterity.....

When you tap to open menus while reading a Kepub book, the menu you get will be different if the page you're on is a single image, or if there is any text content.

In the case of a single image, you will have the option to zoom/pan the image. the icon looks like a circle with arrows pointing in 4 directions, like a compass. If there is any text content on the page/chapter, the icon will instead be the Aa for font options.

Since the previous firmware update, (4.20?), the Kobo will no longer change menus based on where you are in the book. Whatever menu was there when you first opened menus will stick. So, for example, if you open the menu when on an image page, you will no longer be able to open the Font menu until you close and re-open the book. (Sleeping doesn't work for this,)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:10 PM   #23
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 10thGen, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
I've updated my Aura One to this new FW. One of the changes is related to Overdrive so as a test I borrowed a book on the device, it downloads fine but tells me it is expired. When I check the same book on my Forma (not updated yet) it tells me it expires in 13 days. A bug or a fluke?
Earlier today my wife downloaded a book with the kindle app on her phone and had a similar message. When she brought it over to show me and re-ran the download a few minutes later it worked fine. I never saw the original error.
mikeayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:36 PM   #24
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
This was discussed at length in the previous firmware thread,, but for the sake of posterity.....

When you tap to open menus while reading a Kepub book, the menu you get will be different if the page you're on is a single image, or if there is any text content.

In the case of a single image, you will have the option to zoom/pan the image. the icon looks like a circle with arrows pointing in 4 directions, like a compass. If there is any text content on the page/chapter, the icon will instead be the Aa for font options.

Since the previous firmware update, (4.20?), the Kobo will no longer change menus based on where you are in the book. Whatever menu was there when you first opened menus will stick. So, for example, if you open the menu when on an image page, you will no longer be able to open the Font menu until you close and re-open the book. (Sleeping doesn't work for this,)
That description isn't correct. The menu choices get set by where you are when you the first time they are shown after opening the book. If you open the book to the title page and show the menu, then the image related icons will be shown. Then go to a page without an image and they will still be shown when the menu is opened. If the first time you open the menu is on a text only page, the correct icons are shown, but when you go to the cover, the menu doesn't show the image icons.

I'm not sure if this is a cover-only behaviour. It might happen with other image only pages. I can't quickly find a book that has this to test.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:08 PM   #25
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As has been noticed, firmware version 4.21.15015 has been released. This will be going to all devices except the Mini.

The changes that I know of in this release are:
  • Overdrive
    • "Your Holds" tile added to Overdrive section of the store. This can be used to manage your holds.
    • Notification icon in in menu.
  • Highlighting
    • Highlight automatically created when more than one word selected. Tap "Undo highlight" if you don't want to keep it.
  • Widows & Orphans in epubs
    • Hidden options "readingAdobeWidows" and "readingAdobeOrphans" added to "Reading" section of the config file.
    • This overrides the default widows and orphans used in the RMSDK.
    • It does not override widows and orphans in the book.
    • Basically, add them and set them to 1.
    • This is epub only.
  • Image scaling with font size.

For calibre, there are no changes except to bump the supported firmware version. This has already been done and is in calibre version 4.16 that was released last week. For those who do not want to update the calibre version, it is safe to use the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option in the drivers.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:46 PM   #26
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I don't know if this is a bug or a "feature", but when I select Overdrive in the new firmware, I cannot browse the entire catalog, only the displayed selections "Harry Potter", "what's new for kids" "Thrill Ride" etc. Also, within those categories is a "Filter" button with a dropdown mun offering "Featured" and "All books", but I am unable to activate the "more books" option. By that I mean that I can select "all books", and a message comes up saying "Please wait... we're currently loading this list", but when the page refreshes, the filter is still set to "Featured". What has happened to the ability to search the catalogue of the library the device is logged into?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:33 AM   #27
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That description isn't correct. The menu choices get set by where you are when you the first time they are shown after opening the book. If you open the book to the title page and show the menu, then the image related icons will be shown. Then go to a page without an image and they will still be shown when the menu is opened. If the first time you open the menu is on a text only page, the correct icons are shown, but when you go to the cover, the menu doesn't show the image icons.

I'm not sure if this is a cover-only behaviour. It might happen with other image only pages. I can't quickly find a book that has this to test.

Umm, that's exactly what I just said..

Only, I clarify, for certain, this will hapen on any file within the book that consists of just an image with no text.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:35 AM   #28
rashkae
Wizard

Quote:
[*]Image scaling with font size.
Is there an .ini file option to disable this, (or better yet, set the scale to your liking independant of font size?

Font size will be a consistent preference. Ideal image scaling will depend on what device resolution the publisher / e-book creator was assuming, (and is probably only desirable for older books when readers were less tan 200dpi)
Old 05-20-2020, 05:14 AM   #29
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
As has been noticed, firmware version 4.21.15015 has been released. This will be going to all devices except the Mini.

The changes that I know of in this release are:
  • Overdrive
    • "Your Holds" tile added to Overdrive section of the store. This can be used to manage your holds.
    • Notification icon in in menu.
  • Highlighting
    • Highlight automatically created when more than one word selected. Tap "Undo highlight" if you don't want to keep it.
  • Widows & Orphans in epubs
    • Hidden options "readingAdobeWidows" and "readingAdobeOrphans" added to "Reading" section of the config file.
    • This overrides the default widows and orphans used in the RMSDK.
    • It does not override widows and orphans in the book.
    • Basically, add them and set them to 1.
    • This is epub only.
  • Image scaling with font size.

For calibre, there are no changes except to bump the supported firmware version. This has already been done and is in calibre version 4.16 that was released last week. For those who do not want to update the calibre version, it is safe to use the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option in the drivers.
Don't think it's worth updating firmware you don't use Overdrive, only users using it will benefit or I'm I missing something?
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:16 AM   #30
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Don't think it's worth updating firmware you don't use Overdrive, only users using it will benefit or I'm I missing something?
I do occasionally use Overdrive, and as per my post above, this update has been a big step backwards in functionality, it seems
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release