Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-05-2020, 12:01 PM   #61
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by restinginlove View Post
I like slim cases too. My latest aliexpress one for my Glo has a hairline crack on a corner but it's still holding up...
one important thing I forgot to mention on mine, the seam along the magnet wasn't made well. The attraction of the magnet eventually ripped the seam open and I had to jerry-rig a fix (see attached image, don't know why MobileRead is showing it upside down).

I haven't noticed anyone else mention this in the reviews, so maybe mine's defective. But something to think about anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200505_105545.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	554.6 KB
ID:	179091  
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:12 PM   #62
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Speaking of cases, I just got my case yesterday. I'm excited to feel how much smaller it feels than my first-gen Paperwhite in its case. It fits in my cargo pocket on my hiking pants much better.

I decided to go more colorful this time, getting tired of everything being boring black:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YHTJW69

I've not received my Clara yet, so no test fit but the case itself looks and feels like decent quality.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:30 PM   #63
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Speaking of cases, I just got my case yesterday. I'm excited to feel how much smaller it feels than my first-gen Paperwhite in its case. It fits in my cargo pocket on my hiking pants much better.

I decided to go more colorful this time, getting tired of everything being boring black:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YHTJW69

I've not received my Clara yet, so no test fit but the case itself looks and feels like decent quality.
I like Fintie cases. I have one for my Android tablet and my Nook. I would have gotten one for my Clara, but I want a plain, boring Navy Blue case and those are all sold out.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:21 PM   #64
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by restinginlove View Post
Dang, everyone got me reconsidering! The thing is when I am reading at night, usually I am actually trying to actively stay awake, so the whole "helps you go to sleep better" thing isn't that big of a selling point for me? But I also don't read right before bed on the nights I am trying to sleep for that reason, and I can always turn the orange lights off when not needed...

Well, just bought it again, and am now scouring aliexpress and amazon for covers!
If I want to stay awake while reading, I just shine the ebook light on my sleeping wife. The ensuing argument keeps me up for days.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:14 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I like Fintie cases. I have one for my Android tablet and my Nook. I would have gotten one for my Clara, but I want a plain, boring Navy Blue case and those are all sold out.
I had a Finte case for my H2O. It didn't last long enough before needing to be replaced.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:30 PM   #66
restinginlove
Enthusiast
restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Clara HD
I ended up going for KB15 from that aliexpress seller (linking again), will report back in the maybe 2 months or whenever it takes to get here.

My favorite case I ever got for an ereader was an inateck slim, hard shell one for my Kindle Paperwhite 3. It was really good quality, super sturdy. I'm bummed they don't make Kobo cases.
restinginlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:20 PM   #67
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I had a Finte case for my H2O. It didn't last long enough before needing to be replaced.
That's why I like the "leather-like" folio cases from Fintie. The SlimShell versions seem to chip easily, and then you get sharp edges. I recently replaced two slimshell cases with folio cases (one of the slimshells was a Fintie, the other was some other company – so not just Fintie. I've run into this with other slimshells as well. (To be honest, they come used with the used eReader, so they may not have been well cared for. Though the one was one I bought new for my Kindle Basic, and I never dropped it.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:54 AM   #68
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
That's why I like the "leather-like" folio cases from Fintie. The SlimShell versions seem to chip easily, and then you get sharp edges. I recently replaced two slimshell cases with folio cases (one of the slimshells was a Fintie, the other was some other company – so not just Fintie. I've run into this with other slimshells as well. (To be honest, they come used with the used eReader, so they may not have been well cared for. Though the one was one I bought new for my Kindle Basic, and I never dropped it.)
Hmm... All I've ever used was slim shell cases and I've never had that happen, Fintie or otherwise. And I'm not delicate with my readers.

The only case issue I've ever had is when I bought the official 'hard cover' case for the 6" Kobo Aura. That one was like a little leather hard cover with plastic clips that held the reader. One of the plastic clips broke.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:34 AM   #69
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Hmm... All I've ever used was slim shell cases and I've never had that happen, Fintie or otherwise. And I'm not delicate with my readers.
All but one of these slim shell cases were used when I got them, so they may have been abused by their previous owners. The one that I bought new for the Kindle Basic, however, always seemed to fit too tight. Maybe that particular case had issues.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:54 AM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I have a slimshell type from Kwimobile that's doing well. It is starting to show some wear. But it has been somewhere between 4-5 years.

One thing the leather-;ike folio cases are really good for is to add bulk to too-thin Readers.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 04:58 PM   #71
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have a slimshell type from Kwimobile that's doing well. It is starting to show some wear. But it has been somewhere between 4-5 years.

One thing the leather-;ike folio cases are really good for is to add bulk to too-thin Readers.
For me, slim shells add just enough bulk. The folio cases are too bulky for me. The slim shell doesn't seem to add much, but it's just enough that when I remove my reader I'm surprised at how thin it is.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:55 PM   #72
restinginlove
Enthusiast
restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.restinginlove can teach chickens to fly.

Got this case while waiting on my aliexpress one to come in: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
The brown is a bit less red and a little darker than the photo but I still like it!
Also I'm still finishing books up on my Glo HD (I feel weird just stopping using it because it IS still functional and it's been my ride or die for years now) but from the little I've used the Clara, I like it a lot. Also I am really loving the space upgrade! it does feel a bit different in the hand because its lighter and its bezels are even smaller, I'll have to get used to that.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:46 AM   #73
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I really like that brown case. So far I have not ordered a case. I just store it inside my extra kindle voyage case.

I love how small and light it is, compared to my Glo HD and my Kindles. It is great! Not sure I want a case to add bulk. I have others I can take out of the house
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:49 PM   #74
restinginlove
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I really like that brown case. So far I have not ordered a case. I just store it inside my extra kindle voyage case.

I love how small and light it is, compared to my Glo HD and my Kindles. It is great! Not sure I want a case to add bulk. I have others I can take out of the house
I would be with you there but I drop or knock off beds my readers in the house sometimes (and I don't have carpet), plus I shove them in a backpack to take to read during overnight caregiving shifts, and sometimes in my purse if I'm going somewhere and going to have downtime to read (like dentist waiting room). I'll probably use the Glo HD for all of that still as I'd be less bummed if anything were to happen to it, even though the Clara is just way better to read at night (test drove it last night when I couldn't sleep, I love the orange light!). I am noticing fingerprints are more noticeable on it vs my Glo, guess I'll be wiping it with a microfiber cloth more.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:29 PM   #75
restinginlove
Enthusiast

I did a forum search and it looks like it's not really possible with some database copying that may make some stuff not work so well from what I've read, but asking anyway in case something has changed: can I move my Kobo reading stats and awards (most from sideloaded books as I use calibre, I saw the few from when I just synced from Kobo initially transferred automatically) from one device to another?